This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When changing cambelt, may I suggest you also fit new crank pulley

For anyone having the cambelt changed soon, or in the future, may I suggest you get yourself a new crankshaft belt pulley. A few guys here can testify to the repair bill should the 'worse' happen and I escaped the 'bill' by the skin of my teeth...

So to share some info and help anyone else suffering in the future, please also fit a new pully when changing the belt, It's a £20 part waiting to do £0000's of damage!

After putting a lot of my car back together and running her up for the first time in 2 months, I backed her out of the garage and found the missing woodruff key from my crank pulley! check out the cracks..... please get a new one, make it a part of every cambelt change!
    Attached Files
    Martyn
    -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Now you tell me. Order one for me then. You have my details.

Mark
    Mark

Race Clio RS197

S2 Coupe ABY (Green) - RIP
    S2 Coupe ABY (Blue) - Sold

Comment

I've put one in stock Mark!, I will get one to you.
      Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Cheers matey
        Mark

Race Clio RS197

S2 Coupe ABY (Green) - RIP
        S2 Coupe ABY (Blue) - Sold

Comment

This was mine when I took it off, I wish someone would make some out of better quality metal, because I have little faith in the OEM part.

Mark.
          Attached Files
          Mark - Modded

Comment

Found the same with my pulley! Lucky the key had nowhere to go.
            Attached Files
            91 Modded 3B
            14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

I am seeing a pattern here.... :-(

Wonder WHY? maybe because its so damn hard to get 450nm on the bolt? so without the 'proper' torque they are getting loose, rocking in the crank groove and breaking them clean off?

I had the luxury in the end of the proper tools to change the belt and even with the right Audi wrench it still took two guys to hang on it to get the right torque!! I chose to follow the ABY workshop manual setting of 200nm + 180 degrees which is ****** tight.
              Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

i have had the same problem.. but my bolt was not tigthen enuhf.. this costed me a lot.
                ABT C5 Lord Of The Rings
                2004 1/4 Mile ET 12.00 191Km/h @1,5Bar
                2009 1/4 Mile ET 11.92 213Km/h @ 1,5Bar 437WHp
                2010 1/4 Mile ET 11.45 110Km/h @ 1,5Bar 437Whp
                kostic.nu

Comment

Funny that. When Autopool did mine last week, they said they had found a cracked pulley and replaced it for me. I guess this could well have been the one!
                  The Perfectionist
                  sigpic
                  Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by Martynf
                    I had the luxury in the end of the proper tools to change the belt and even with the right Audi wrench it still took two guys to hang on it to get the right torque!! I chose to follow the ABY workshop manual setting of 200nm + 180 degrees which is ****** tight.
                    I was told that bolts should be greased before assembly ( on BMC/British Leyland cars). Were you greased up?

If the bolt was tightened against the locked transmission ( the usual trick I would imagine) then the bolt is causing friction against the face of the pulley which in turn applies this to the woodruf key. The woodruf key is for location only the bolt should do the holding IMHO.

David

Comment

Heres what mine was like, not the actual key but the pulley itself was cracked
                      Attached Files

Comment

Mine was the same as Martinjs when i took it apart, infact it split in two when i removed the four pully bolts from it

I was without a car for a week waiting for a new part to arrive so i would advise people to buy one when doing the timing belt.

Originally posted by martinjs
                        Heres what mine was like, not the actual key but the pulley itself was cracked
                        91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
                        93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
                        94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Looks like a design fault to me. I wonder how many I5s have ended up in the scrappers as a result!?
                          91 Modded 3B
                          14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Fat Audi 80,

How much did the Autopool charge you for your cambelt change???

I'm gonna get my one done soon (along with a 101 other things )

Originally posted by Fat Audi 80
                            Funny that. When Autopool did mine last week, they said they had found a cracked pulley and replaced it for me. I guess this could well have been the one!

Comment

Hehe very funny actualy or not

My mechanic was supposed to change my timing belt, and did not tighten the thing with the right torque. Guess what happend?.....

Well.... Lets say i have a renovated cylinder head on his account...
                              Guess he will use the right torque next time....

He used a compressor driven wrench, and that did not work...

Jonas R.
                              Sleeper S2 Avant +450

A6 Avant 2.7t Stage 3

Audi S2 Coupe RS2'ed

Comment

Working...
                              X