still missfiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• still missfiring

the other day i was drivin my s2 and all of a sudden it started to missfire i thought it needs replacement coil plugs bought them its still miss fireing what should i do next guys im lost i think it might be a possible air leak might be suckin in air

Seems there are lots of things which cause problems, so annoying.

I had my second air meter (MAF) replaced a week ago (under warranty) and my car was running really well, but it wasn't by last night - though I suspect a heat related problem as it had been running hard and fast earlier before I parked it, and five minutes later I was driving again and it just wasn't right. Heat soaking into the engine bay when the car isn't moving, and it was a warm day - anyone got any thoughts on this?

Air leak sounds quite likely but I will leave it to the experts to decide! Maybe my problem is even an air leak brought about by the temperature rise?

__MDC__
    Martin Cutting

aka Keeper of "The Teutonic Kitten"

It's not better than sex, but it runs it a close second.

Comment

i think what might have caused mine is that i put CATACLEAN into the ptrol tank of my car and that f**s about with the emissions it might be that ****in its a pain in the **** it only happens once the car is warmed up i think that it could gbe something sucking in air !!

Comment

If you had a some air leak then this would possibly lean the mixture enough to cause a misfire.
        sigpic
        Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
        Audi UR Quattro
        Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
        Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
        Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

i took out the spark plugs to find they been covered with black stuff i think thats down to too a strong mixture what puzzles me is that i put my foot down and thats when it started to miss fire no its like that all the time

Comment

Air leak after the turbo when on boost = rich (wasted air) Air leak before the turbo = lean (extra air drawn in after MAF)

Any air leak when off boost = lean.

Lamda will try to correct for this but can onl do so much.

Otherwise could be a prob with MAF (or its connection a few of us have had troubles with this) or the Lamda.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by newsh
              Air leak after the turbo when on boost = rich (wasted air) Air leak before the turbo = lean (extra air drawn in after MAF)

Any air leak when off boost = lean.

Lamda will try to correct for this but can onl do so much.

Otherwise could be a prob with MAF (or its connection a few of us have had troubles with this) or the Lamda.
              If its running rich will you be able to smell fuel ..........
              Last edited by jubjub; 5 September 2004, 20:29.

Comment

i m gonna go get the car tuned up see if it has got something to do with emissions. But what is a MAF ?? im gnna put new plugs in there and see what happens then go for a tune up

Comment

There arent any settings for a 'tune up'. The car is completely ECU controlled. MAF= Mass Air Flow sensor, its located on the airbox with a big electrical connector on it. Try cleaning the connections with some spray contact cleaner. If that doesnt help then check boost hoses for splits or holes.
                  sigpic
                  Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                  Audi UR Quattro
                  Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

i didnt know s2's have dirstributer caps or rotor arm or have i got it mixed up with something else

Comment

The early 3B's had that type of 'old' ignition system, later ABY cars moved onto coilpacks
                      sigpic
                      Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                      Audi UR Quattro
                      Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

i thouht so just bought brand new coil plugs from vag, miss fire is still there starts from 1000 revs

Comment

try changing the power amplifiers - the coilpacks are connected to these.
                          S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

I would say you have a boost leak somewhere.
                            sigpic
                            Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                            Audi UR Quattro
                            Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

try to change the lamda,it might gone,then you get very rich with petrol...then you check the ignition switch,low volt to the coilsystem,gives bad sparks

Comment

Working...
                              X