Welded flywheel timing pin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welded flywheel timing pin

Has anybody got first hand experience of welding a new timing pin to the flywheel through the starter motor hole?

I have this to do and I've heard it can be done like this, but the access you have appears to be almost non-existant
    sigpic
    1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
    1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
    1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Originally posted by AndyP View Post
    Has anybody got first hand experience of welding a new timing pin to the flywheel through the starter motor hole?

I have this to do and I've heard it can be done like this, but the access you have appears to be almost non-existant

Is it the same mod as vems users needs to do ?
    RED Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 16 of 250
    BLACK Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 189 of 250
    LWB Audi Sport Quattro project

Comment

I presume we are talking single mass here. presume you would get a fraction more space.

mega small hands and welding gear?

Comment

Done it before. Mr Tig sorted it!
        Rob..
        94 RS2 Noggy,LHD,MTM map,18"cup 1s,245/35/18,Bilsteins,RS2 H&Rs,Cup splitter.
        87 UR 20v ABY
        97 S6 Avant
        96 A6 C4 2.5 TDI quattro avant,Ming,Wietec/eibach,chipped
        1967 Ford Mustang,Eleanor,460ci v8

Comment

Originally posted by GT500 View Post
          Done it before. Mr Tig sorted it!
          Here are a couple of examples:

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/76572.phtml

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/239920.phtml

The latter one shaped the additional pin based on this (based on dimensions provided by V6quattro from here):

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/51259.phtml
          RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
          94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

I had the pin welded back into place after it fell off. It was possible to weld it through the starter hole, although not easy. The pin was tacked to a flat metal bar which we bent so that I could hold the pin in place from the top of the engine bay whilst my welder friend welded it back on to the flywheel.
            '93 S4 Avant now back on the road complete with new shiny go faster bits.

Comment

where do you put the earth strap?
              1991 S2 3B Coupe, KW v1, solid sub frames, poly bushed, chipped, about 260 ish

Comment

Made a new pin based on the dimension in Dave's post above

Going to try and get some weight out of it so it does not screw up the balance of the engine.

This is my plan, hold the new pin inplace with a small magnet while I get the first tack on. This is a stock 3B flywheel with pin in place.

Now to practice welding with my eyes shut! I think if I can get a decent tack like this either side it should be fine.

I'm going to try and get the earth strap on the flywheel through the timing hole on the oposite side of the bellhousing.
                sigpic

Comment

fly wheel pin

i had this done on my 20v rr quatt it stood for 3yrs b4 bless him mr p payne found problem as it had a chippd mtm chip in it so it was not bringing up the flywheel sensor code up so no one checked it so a few mechanics rippd put the alarm then seperate immobiliser then half of dash saying its got elect prob then ecu faulty as it had no spark etc until the late mr p took out the starter & found prob but i got another flywheel ready for him to change its a dog of a job as mine had snapped in the flywheel & not fallen out so it was much much harder just to do it in situ through the starter hole as it had to be drilled out etc so can be done so good luck sir

Comment

This is what S4Pirate on my home forum did last week (based on the same post I linked you to) (2 photos make sure you see the last one):

And this, which is the key point, he drilled the new pin to fit over the old pin so placement of the new pin was less of an issue.

Comment

That's a very nice idea.
                      Andy can you make 2 pins like that? That may solve in the future my vems trigger errors!

Comment

After seeing this I think I will give mine a squirt with the TIG before I send it off for balancing in a few weeks.
                        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                        Indigo ABY coupé
                        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                          After seeing this I think I will give mine a squirt with the TIG before I send it off for balancing in a few weeks.
                          I have been advocating pre-emptive additional welding on the G4 Timing pin for some years now, after several documented stories of the pin coming off the stock DMFW with time.

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/113350.phtml

Note Paul N's recommendation about unplugging the battery, the ECU and ABS computer before firing up the welder.

Comment

Well here's the culprit

As my flywheel has been lightened I was able to take some more material off the new pin as it didn't need to be as big

Looking at this pic I need to spend more time cleaning the flywheel to make welding easier, and I need to make a better job of centreing it!

Also need to look at getting a smaller TIG torch to make access easier as there is virtually none at the moment using the torch I have

Only going to get one shot at this so I want to make sure everything is right before I commit to welding.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AndyP View Post
                              ..As my flywheel has been lightened I was able to take some more material off the new pin as it didn't need to be as big....
                              ... and I need to make a better job of centreing it!
                              Also need to look at getting a smaller TIG torch to make access easier as there is virtually none at the moment using the torch I have.
                              1. Not following your lightened flywheel = okay to have a smaller pin. It is a pin that is too small that is causing you grief now.

2. In the examples I think I gave, the bigger pin was drilled so that if fit over the round pin (which one assumes was in the correct location).

3. Doesn't anybody remember arc-welding rods? They are long and only about 1/8" diameter. Very easy to get in there with welding rods. Wire-feed welders aren't the solution to all problems.

Just saying...

Comment

Working...
                              X