Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My oil leak, breathers etc, advice needed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My oil leak, breathers etc, advice needed...

I get my car back in the morning, the cause of my oil leak was as suspected, the cam cover gasket had been blown out behind the cam wheel probably caused by boost pressure leaking past the foot valve in the breather system.

Miraculously the belt was dry so not too bad really. Although the old valve seems to be working a new one has been fitted anyway. That and a new cam cover gasket which has been rubbing on the back of the cam wheel.. I'm not sure that these plastic valves are really up to the rigours of 2 Bar of boost

I know a bunch of you are running the catch tank type breather system and I'm starting to understand why and my thoughts are going that way but I'd really like to keep the sealed system if I can. So does anyone know of a better valve that can be fitted (we thought about using 2 in series, for example) or a way to vent pressure in the cam cover, should it arise, without compromising the integrity of the PCV system? Could I fit, say, a 1 Bar blow off valve in the cover?
    I really dont want to blow that gasket out again.

I'm even thinking of trying to make a valve in alloy that would seal better and be more robust than the stock plastic one. I'm going to pul the old one apart and have a look anyway.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
    sigpic

My s4 did that too, the gasket cryed some tears on the back of the engine... I replaced by an OEM gasket...
    Audi 100 TDI :mischeif:

MRC remap; Green Injectors; Champion Sparks; Forge DV 006; Samco Intake pipes; K&N filter
    Xenon 6500k; Pillar Boost gauge; Alpine CDA 9835R on Bose with Infinity Sub
    Oettinger 8x18" with GS-D3 225/40ZR18; Bilstein with H&R Springs (-40mm)

www.autopamplona.com
    www.mrctuning.com

Comment

you could use an oil cyclone and drain the condensed oil vapours back to the sump.

Greg
      Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

This is the little bu**er.

Small isn't it? Sometimes I can blow into it and it leaks, sometimes it doesn't so obviously not reliable..

Incidentally the car now goes proper quick again
        Attached Files
        Last edited by newsh; 17 December 2004, 22:43.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by newsh

Small isn't it? Sometimes I can blow into it and it leaks, sometimes it doesn't so obviously not reliable..

John, if it doesn't inevitably have to be a valve then you could use a K&N small breather element instesd. It never blocks.
          Gabor

96 ABY coupe full except sunroof. With Porsche big red brakes, remapped ECU, xenon lights, RS2 MAF

Comment

Is that an OEM part?

And what happens when you cant blow into it? Does the car stall or what.

I got some problems that might be the same, do you have the part nr. for the valve?

/Jonas R.
            Sleeper S2 Avant +450

A6 Avant 2.7t Stage 3

Audi S2 Coupe RS2'ed

Comment

Yep. OEM part. Its a one way valve. It goes in the breather line between crankcase and inlet manifold, all the time you've got vacuum in the IM then its open and fumes are drawn from the crankcase into the engine and burnt, As soon as the turbo spools up and there is pressure in the IM then its supposed to close and stop boost pressurising the crankcase. Seems like sometimes this one sticks open or was leaking and the boost pressure inside the engine was enough to blow out the cam cover gasket.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Yep. OEM part. Its a one way valve. It goes in the breather line between crankcase and inlet manifold, all the time you've got vacuum in the IM then its open and fumes are drawn from the crankcase into the engine and burnt, As soon as the turbo spools up and there is pressure in the IM then its supposed to close and stop boost pressurising the crankcase. Seems like sometimes this one sticks open or was leaking and the boost pressure inside the engine was enough to blow out the cam cover gasket.
                Do you have the part number for the valve?

And have you expirience stalling or any problems when the valve was not working correctly?

/Jonas R.
                Sleeper S2 Avant +450

A6 Avant 2.7t Stage 3

Audi S2 Coupe RS2'ed

Comment

its supposed to close and stop boost pressurising the crankcase......
                  John,

this small valve has a great responsibility then. If it doesn't close, actually it can simulate a boost leak, can't it. Couldn't it be eliminated , the duct closed and the fumes released via a small filter like the K&N I try to show.here?
                  Attached Files
                  Gabor

96 ABY coupe full except sunroof. With Porsche big red brakes, remapped ECU, xenon lights, RS2 MAF

Comment

Part No. 035 103 245A

No problems with idle but sometimes the car would feel really flat at full throttle, not full power even though showing plenty of boost.

Originally posted by Jonas_R
                    Do you have the part number for the valve?

And have you expirience stalling or any problems when the valve was not working correctly?

/Jonas R.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Yes it has an important job and yes it would be a boost leak if it fails.
                      If I replace with a filter though, I lose the benefits of the vacuum which is to keep a really oil tight engine and you will almost certainly smell the fumes too. I'm thinking of maybe fitting a cyclone catch tank though as Greg suggested if it happens again.

Originally posted by horvathg
                      its supposed to close and stop boost pressurising the crankcase......
                      John,

this small valve has a great responsibility then. If it doesn't close, actually it can simulate a boost leak, can't it. Couldn't it be eliminated , the duct closed and the fumes released via a small filter like the K&N I try to show.here?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Hey John,

Thx alot, will change the valve soon just to be sure, since the price is like nothing

/Jonas R.
                        Sleeper S2 Avant +450

A6 Avant 2.7t Stage 3

Audi S2 Coupe RS2'ed

Comment

Originally posted by Jonas_R
                          Hey John,

Thx alot, will change the valve soon just to be sure, since the price is like nothing

/Jonas R.
                          Jonas, how did you find out the price? Our list doesn't even give us a part number. Any help with the number would be appreciated. DDecided to replace it too.
                          Gabor

Comment

AAN too?

Hiya John,

Would you think that a faulty valve would cause a Vacuum Leak?

Does anybody know if this valve is the same on the AAN engined S6?

Ta

Dave
                            1997 S6 Avant

Comment

Part No. 035 103 245A

No problems with idle but sometimes the car would feel really flat at full throttle, not full power even though showing plenty of boost.
                              is it the same number fore the aby engine.

THANX
                              RIX

Comment

Working...
                              X