Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another 3B to ABY conversion (Successfully)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't under stand why you don't just swap the pins in the in 3B ECU connector? It's a 10 minute job
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Carles20vt View Post
      Well, I have done one of the major upgrades to my S2 3B from 1992. I have installed a AAN ECU with TFSI red coils with no problems.

I will explain a little my experience to encourage someone that want to do it

I started to make an Excel sheet to make the conversion pins but I have many questions about Clima and others. Searching a little at forum I seen that it’s done by S2Central. My pin assignations are well and I solved my questions with this Excel file. So finally I have been guided with these proved info: S2Central 3B to ABY conversion.

I used these coils and loom to do it: Coils and harness 3B to ABY

I not made a pin change, I made a ECU pin converter. More work yeach but I’m a nerd

When I fitted the new TFSI red coils I need to drop the rubber and cut 1-2mm the plastic base to fit at 3B rocker cover.

Engine started at first key so I was so happy. ^_^

I find some differences from 3B ignition to ABY/AAN. First it’s more smooth, sounds better and… The engine feels to have more power/torque at low/mid RPM. It’s another car, more nervous and responsive. I’m very happy. (My ignition dizzy are new and with metallic gearwheel, good wires… so it was not failing).

I have some moods to do. I want to put AAN cam cover. Why? Here we have very restrictive vehicle inspection programs so I want to see my engine looks stock. I like not justify to an ignorant inspector what it is, why, etc…

Another mod to do is put ABY fuel rail with stock 4bar fuel regulator, stock AAN/ABY injectors. It will do soon as I have a flexible fuel line and regulator clip that I don’t have yet. The have all rest of needed parts. I do it to match 100% ECU fuel rates and improve fuel economy (4 holes vs one).

So… Questions!!:

Could put AAN cam cover with stock throttlebody and admission tube? It looks that tube will not fit with these cam cover…

Could TFSI red coils will dead soon if I don’t change DWELL value at ECU? Or are these more tolerant at original DWELL value?

Thanks in advance guys
      quick question, which grommet in the firewall did you use to insert the coil harness into the passenger compartment?

Comment

Working...
      X