No announcement yet.

Engine Cut Out Around 4500 RPM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've taken the belt off and set the timing as it should be, which is 1/2 a tooth to the left. On a test run, without boost the car drives fine. Under hard acceleration or WOT, 1st and 2nd gear are quick with all four tyres lighting up. However 3rd, 4th and 5th just rev out in an instant without really gaining much speed.

The only thing I can think of right now is the clutch but it has a brand new uprated one?

No loss of clutch fluid either.
    Steve

1990 RR 20V
    1982 SWB UR - RS2 Engine

Comment

Fuel pump?

Comment

If you engage 5th gear and floor it and the revs increase without gaining speed then the clutch is slipping!

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
        sigpic

Comment

If was the clutch he couldn't spin the tyres on 1st and 2 and is quite new....From what I know on faulty pump it is
          going flat around 4.5k ,this is from my own experiences .

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
            If you engage 5th gear and floor it and the revs increase without gaining speed then the clutch is slipping!
            It does that in 3rd, 4th and 5th. You'd expect it to do it in the first two gears but it doesn't which is puzzling.

I'm pretty sure it is the clutch as you can't be doing 60 mph in 5th at 6800 rpm on WOT.

This is why I had the clutch changed initially only to find out that the slave cylinder had failed and saturated the clutch plate causing it to slip. I've already checked the reservoir and it is full.
            Steve

1990 RR 20V
            1982 SWB UR - RS2 Engine

Comment

Revs increase without a ground speed increase then clutch is slipping or wheels are spinning
              Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Just looked under the car, had a bit of a feel around and oil residue is present on the underside of the bell housing. The rear crank seal I believe was replaced when the engine was put in, but I guess it is that, that has contaminated the clutch plate. It was six years ago when this was done so I can't imagine anyone holding their hands up to this...………………... but the car has only done a few hundred miles since then.
                Steve

1990 RR 20V
                1982 SWB UR - RS2 Engine

Comment

Trouble is shaft seals don’t like standing either; they like to run. I’d expect it from such limited use tbh.
                  Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                  Indigo ABY coupé
                  Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Hi steve I will pop round Sunday and have a look is there a puddle of oil underneath the car?

Comment

Originally posted by mac2226 View Post
                      Hi steve I will pop round Sunday and have a look is there a puddle of oil underneath the car?
                      Hey Mike,

Yes there's a small pool. It must have happened very recently as there was no oil residue before. I know this as I have been under it making a bracket for the front mounted oil cooler. I'm going to get it booked in as I can't be bothered stripping it myself. If only I had got those extra garages built with the ramp.
                      It's just so annoying as I think the car was finally sorted and I was looking forward reducing the tread on the tyres...…. See you Sunday.
                      Steve

1990 RR 20V
                      1982 SWB UR - RS2 Engine

Comment

Originally posted by steverrquattro View Post

Hey Mike,

Yes there's a small pool. It must have happened very recently as there was no oil residue before. I know this as I have been under it making a bracket for the front mounted oil cooler. I'm going to get it booked in as I can't be bothered stripping it myself. If only I had got those extra garages built with the ramp.
                        It's just so annoying as I think the car was finally sorted and I was looking forward reducing the tread on the tyres...…. See you Sunday.
                        I know steve can’t believe this has happened to you after all this time getting it ready. yep I’ll see you Sunday steve

Comment

I went to the garage today and took the gearbox out. The bell housing, flywheel, friction plate and pressure plate were covered in oil.

All looks OK with the rear crank seal. It appears to have come from the rocker cover gasket at the back of the engine.

Should there not be a gasket in between these two metal faces? So annoyed about this as it was around £700 to have this done.
                          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                          This gallery has 3 photos.
                          Steve

1990 RR 20V
                          1982 SWB UR - RS2 Engine

Comment

After washing everything down with brake cleaner and leaving for 12 hours, the next day showed that there was indeed oil seeping from the crank oil seal. This has now been changed and to be honest it felt very hard which is not a good sign. The rocker cover gasket half moons have been glued in with silicone as the gasket is fairly new.

Unfortunately the clutch plate is NLA. Now although it could be refaced, after going into the ultrasonic cleaner all looks good without any staining, so after a few hours of cleaning up the flywheel and pressure plate, all will be reassembled.

PS Whilst I have the ramp, the catch tank and sump baffle plate have also been fitted, along with a new front mounted oil cooler.
                            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                            This gallery has 3 photos.
                            Steve

1990 RR 20V
                            1982 SWB UR - RS2 Engine

Comment

I'm resurrecting this old thread having recently been inspired to get the car finished. Last weekend saw Mike and his smoke machine which revealed the pipe to the ECU not connected to the pipe off the back of the inlet manifold.

As this is a very early car (1982) there is an inbuilt boost gauge on the dash and I noticed today that it is going all the way up to 2 bar. I cleared the codes from previous runs and took the car out for a drive. The two I am left with are the normal 00281 (Speed sensor) and as before 00581 (F96). It's the 00581 altitude sensor that I am interested in as this is the only real fault left on the car.

What kind of voltages should I be seeing across pins 1, 2 & 3 for the ADU engine code?

Having read on the forum about power being reduced when a trailor is hitched on, is there a way to cheat this?
                              Last edited by steverrquattro; 15 August 2021, 11:14.
                              Steve

1990 RR 20V
                              1982 SWB UR - RS2 Engine

Comment

between 1 and 3 and also between 2 and 3 you should get between 4.5 and 5.5 volts
                                Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X