No announcement yet.

Metal sunroof rot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I replaced my glass sunroof to a metal one the hardest part of the job I found was removing the headliner in one piece without breaking it. It's bonded to the sunroof cassette with a large square adhesive patch which held strong considering it's age. Working from the rear off the headliner in the boot space slowly work a flat scraper type instrument in-between the cassette and headliner panel and the two will start to separate. It's a slow process don't rush it!!

Also the sunblind on the sunroof itself can be a wee bit tricky to separate, again a flat thin tool will do the job perfect, something like a steel rule perhaps. For installation I have some handy PDF documents extracted from a Bentley manual that will help you. Forward you email address and I'll send them on.

Comment

Originally posted by gmac78 View Post
      When I replaced my glass sunroof to a metal one the hardest part of the job I found was removing the headliner in one piece without breaking it. It's bonded to the sunroof cassette with a large square adhesive patch which held strong considering it's age. Working from the rear off the headliner in the boot space slowly work a flat scraper type instrument in-between the cassette and headliner panel and the two will start to separate. It's a slow process don't rush it!!

Also the sunblind on the sunroof itself can be a wee bit tricky to separate, again a flat thin tool will do the job perfect, something like a steel rule perhaps. For installation I have some handy PDF documents extracted from a Bentley manual that will help you. Forward you email address and I'll send them on.
      Hello, in that aspect there is no problem because I disassembled it to upholster it, when I saw that water entered I did not have it mounted so there is no major problem. From what I have investigated, not any Audi 80 roof is valid, only a coupe or avant B4 is valid, it is indifferent if it is glass or metal because the supports are the same, or so I think. With my frame I will try to get a local company to make me a new one and the glass I think I can find from other cars. I will inform, thank you.

REGARDS

Comment

Originally posted by Waje View Post

I keep investigating and I have discovered that they are not the same for Avant / sedan as for coupe, among the B4 coupes the glass and steel top are compatible, but among the rest they are not, at least that is what I see in ETKA, despite any help is appreciated.

REGARDS
        The water drain tubes in the corners are at different angles, the rear ones are most different because of the large C pillar angle difference between coupe and Avant/sedan.
        However, not realising this fact when I bought the replacement for my own glass sunroof, I did fit an Avant cassette to a coupe, the drain hoses can be stretched to connect up ok. Not pretty but the headliner fitted back in ok. Turned out that one had a sticky mechanism so I ended up doing the job twice and eventually replaced it with a coupe version.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post

The water drain tubes in the corners are at different angles, the rear ones are most different because of the large C pillar angle difference between coupe and Avant/sedan.
          However, not realising this fact when I bought the replacement for my own glass sunroof, I did fit an Avant cassette to a coupe, the drain hoses can be stretched to connect up ok. Not pretty but the headliner fitted back in ok. Turned out that one had a sticky mechanism so I ended up doing the job twice and eventually replaced it with a coupe version.
          Well I thought they would be the same but it is understandable that it varies in that, however from what you say they are compatible, right?

REGARDS

Comment

Anyone swapped from glass to metal panel I'm needing some advice please .....my glass metal holder is rotten as a pair so I've bought a metal panel that fits but I don't know if this part is ment to come out as I think it is part of the gutter
            Attached Files

Comment

This is known as the drip tray, it sits under the back of the panel when it’s closed and yes it acts as a gutter.
              It should be attached to the moving mechanism with two little arms with clips so it can travel back into the cassette when the roof is open. They often come unclipped and end up hidden down the back, i cants see any clips in your pics, have a look with a torch, maybe they’ve fallen off.

Do a search for “drip tray”, you should find plenty of info.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

thanks i thought it was , in the glass panel it was screwed onto the front of the frame

Comment

This may be one of the parts which is not compatible. I’m sure it’s not a simple swap.
                  For the time being you can leave the drip tray there and don’t run the roof back. You can still use the tilt.
                  I ended up swapping the whole cassette.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Sorted now and I can run it back but needs a coupe of very short screws in place to hold it ....also the panel it around 5mm too low but I can adjust that this afternoon

Comment

Working...
                    X