Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audi 80 tdi avant tailgate water ingress

Hi everyone,

You've all been so helpful in the past, I thought I would see if anyone has any bright ideas...

Earlier in the year this guy reversed a trailer into my parked 80 avant and ruined the tailgate. He proved to be extremely difficult to negotiate with and it was an unpleasant experience, but that's by the by... he eventually agreed for me to source a used tailgate and have it sprayed and fitted. I found a tailgate from the forums and a decent little bodywork shop who did the job. The glass was removed from my original tailgate and fitted to this one. I thought all was good but now that it is raining a lot I am finding water is getting inside the tailgate itself. When I open the tailgate after it has rained (even if the car has been parked and stationary the whole time), water comes pouring out of the two lower tailgate latches (these are inside the boot seal).

Obviously I am seeing if the bodyshop can resolve this, but I wondered if anyone had any ideas to save the hassle? I've attached some images to show the latches and wet interior trim panel and I also have an image with a small black arrow pointing at an opening in the trim around the glass. Is this supposed to be open?

Any thoughts gratefully received!
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.

Is it definitely rain water and not screen wash, later cars can suffer from pipes coming adrift and leaks through the wiper motor/washer assembly?

Comment

That's a good idea but I've just looked and I'm reasonably confident it's not screen wash.

Comment

I am just slightly suspicious whether the glass is watertight. I've removed the interior trim panel and can feel it wet on the inside right up where the bottom of the glass is. Mind you it could just be water that drained up there when the boot was opened. We shall see.

Comment

Could it be that the new tail-gate has previously had hole's drilled through it to secure the number plate?...…..and your plate is secured by new/different holes? Maybe the "old holes" haven't been sealed/covered?

What about where the wiper spindle goes through?

Comment

I'd be betting on the Wiper spindle as John says but it could also be the very important rubber seal that seals the lock through the hatch lens could be missing? Any water in that lens?
            96 URS6 plus speck saloon
            96 URS6 plus speck estate
            94 2.6 80 Avant
            99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

I've no idea where your leak(s?) may be but on a fair day before it gets too cold if one removed the carpeted panel below the gate glass (does it simply snap in/out?), a helper could play rain-maker and you could watch it leak in and know.

Comment

Flippin Eck that is a lot of water I think lago blue is right strip the parts of the tale gate and get someone to spray water on it it won't be hard to find fella. Good luck resolving this. Kind regards Lynn

Comment

Sorry for the delay, I've only just got home... Thank you so much everyone for all of the excellent suggestions!! I've already taken the carpeted panel out so I'll jump inside and get someone to hose it down - I will check the key areas you've all suggested carefully, and really helpful to know some likely culprits!

Thank you all - will report back.

Comment

I didn't have anyone around to help me spray the car, but I did have a close look at the areas you all suggested. I can definitely see water around the wiper grommet on the inside, and then tracking along the inside seam of the window... so I think that is a guilty part at least! Are these rubber grommets something standard / still available at all as I'll replace, or is it best to put some sealant around the current one?

Comment

Right I've taken the wiper assembly apart and sealed the joins. Fingers crossed!

Comment

After the rain today the tailgate is now dry inside, so it was the windscreen wiper seal. Great suggestions everyone thank you so much, and well done John and Vorsprung durch Technik for the right guess!
                        Last edited by sjp001; 5 December 2018, 21:45.

Comment

That's is very good news fella. Happy it wasn't to painful to find what it was.

Comment

Thanks Lynn!

Comment

Nice one, it’s amazing what a small water leak will do. My ur was destroyed by leaks at aerial, rear washer and rear wiper caused by the body shop not putting things back right.
                              Not to mention blocking the windscreen rubber corner drains so that the A pillars rotted out..

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X