Coupe door adjustment hell.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coupe door adjustment hell.

I've got myself in a real jam trying to adjust my sagging driver's side door.

The door is dropping at the bottom at the leading edge of the door.

I began by supporting the weight of the door with two trolley jacks before loosening the two outward facing bolts and removing the two rear facing bolts and began by turning the the lower threaded bush to pack it out a little. I then tightenend up all four bolts to inspect the gap with the door closed.

The gap looked a little better but when I went to open the door to further adjust it I found that the door drops once clear of the striker plate. Opening the door slowly the lower gap closes to the point that it would contact the edge of the front wing. I've tried lifting the door as I open it to try and maintain a gap enough for me to open it at it's full extent to let me readjust things.

No such luck, the gap still closes in the same way when I tried this. I think the door must have dropped somehow before retightening the bolts.
    I think I should have had a mate around to assist me before attempting this.

I'm now completely snookered, I thought the best plan would be to remove the front wing to get access to the 4 A pillar bolts but I can't access the top T25 bolt above the upper hinge.

Can anyone suggest a way to recover from this disaster please?

Thanks in advance.

The small torx bolt up near the screen inside the door jam is actually bolted through a slot, if you can tap it round half a turn from above, just to loosen it, you should be able to pull the wing clear. In any case if you release the bolts holding the wing you should be able to pull it forward enough to clear the leading edge of the door as it opens.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks John, that's a good tip regarding the slot that I hadn't considered. The trouble I have is that I can't even get the door open sufficiently wide enough to even see the T25 screw let alone touch it. That's what what makes this so damn frustrating.

Yes, that was my thinking too, just loosening the other bolts rather than resorting to removing the wing should give me enough clearance to open the door fully.

I haven't bothered attempting to remove the other bolts as I feel this the T25 screw is the key to this.
      I did remove the wheel arch to reveal that one of the bolts attached on the top edge is quite badly corroded. I cleaned this up with a wire brush and soaked it with penetrating fluid but I didn't dare touch it yet. I just know that the captive nut will just spin on this if I try to undo it.

Maybe you have a tip or two you could share on tackling this?

Comment

The only one that spins is the middle one. I just used a pair of pliers to hold it while undoing the bolt on top. came off easily
        Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

I think I have the exact same problem on my Coupe as well as Nuvo , but what I have figured is that it could be just worn tap on lower hinge and if you rotate that by half a turn it could fix the problem... Dunno

But would appreciate if You could take pics which screws you messed up with and adjusted, when you get the door fixed.
          Attached Files
          -93 Audi S2 Coupe ABY
          -74 VW Type 1 1300 (2110cc)
          -97 VW Golf VR6 Syncro as a daily driver
          https://www.lokoverkkaritalli.com

Comment

I’ve been looking at changing my driver’s lower hinge because the door won’t hold open, I keep putting it off though!

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
              I’ve been looking at changing my driver’s lower hinge because the door won’t hold open, I keep putting it off though!
              Me too... And it's worn so bad the door has dropped....

Still going to put it off a while longer methinks...
              Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
              S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
              '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

In theory it's straight forward, in practice well, not so much.

I'd support the weight of the door, outline the positions of each hinges on the A pillar and the door and their respective bolt position and remove the lower hinge and install the replacement. It might also be a good idea to take measurements of the leading and trailing door gaps up and down the height of the door too before proceeding.

I would also advise loosening that top T25 bolt below the corner of the windscreen so that can avoid the pitfall I find myself in.

Alternatively, for an easier life, just put it off indefinitely.

Comment

Hah, started to fix my door today and figured along the way reason why those window switches don't work as should...

It will be door off > tinkering wires > door on..
                  -93 Audi S2 Coupe ABY

Comment

Make sure you have a mate to help you refit/adjust the door. Another tip would be to measure how much the lower threaded bush extends out the back of the hinge and replicate this on the replacement hinge too. HTH.

Comment

@akko, I wouldn't recommend you remove the door to repair damaged loom wires. I really isn't necessary and it'll only create difficulties for you.

Comment

I had this, replaced both hinges. You can use some passenger door hinges that won’t have seen much service - they are not handed

https://www.s2forum.com/forum/member...68#post1299268
                        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                        Indigo ABY coupé
                        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Nuvo yep I know... But the door needs adjustment/lower hinge repair anyways. I don't think I'll take the upper hinge off. Have to figure which is the best and easiest way to repair those wires. A lot of time it will take for sure...
                          -93 Audi S2 Coupe ABY

Comment

And I have made it!

Took the lower hinge off. Pin holes were loose as I thought so. Pin is 8mm and those holes were more than 8,5mm. Welded those shut and drilled new holes with 8mm drill bit.

Installed it back and adjusted the door. There is absolutely none play on the door now and it works like a dream.
                            Last edited by akk0; 22 August 2019, 20:07.
                            -93 Audi S2 Coupe ABY

Comment

Working...
                            X