Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coupe windscreen replacement in the South East?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fat Audi 80 View Post
    Just a quick question?

Is there anything to stop me from letting them to the actual glass part and then finishing off the trim parts myself in my own time?

Or is it not as simple as that?

Cheers,

Steve.
    Its easy if you have a pop riveter. Do you have a pop riveter? No? Thought not.

Comment

Doesn't sound unreasonable there... They shouldn't care if trim is missing before thay start... Must admit though - never tried to size this up myself. Do you have the sections of OFRM for this ? I wouldn't risk it without good factory info on the Coupe - not just Audi 80 info.
      Paul Nugent
      Webmaster http://S2central.net
      Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
      2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
      2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

surely it's just the 2 side trims that are rivetted in place that you'd need to remove in advance and then replace (pop rivetted)? with a thin foam insert running down underneath each trim if I remember right. You'd be able to get a good look at their work too if they haven't fitted the trims.
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        1990 CQ20v
        2001 3.0 B6 A4 Avant Quattro Sport

Comment

Originally posted by Nuvo View Post
          Its easy if you have a pop riveter. Do you have a pop riveter? No? Thought not.
          Yes.

My plan was to do ALL the prepartory work myself in the evenings. (Remember, I don't drive my S2, just look at it in the garage! )

Let them replace the windscreen only. Then put all the trim back again....
          The Perfectionist
          sigpic
          Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
            Doesn't sound unreasonable there... They shouldn't care if trim is missing before thay start... Must admit though - never tried to size this up myself. Do you have the sections of OFRM for this ? I wouldn't risk it without good factory info on the Coupe - not just Audi 80 info.
            I have a couple of rough scans that someone posted recently, which are not great quality at all...

However, I will happily make a guide when it come to it if that is any help.

Can you guess I have been thinking about this a LOT?
            The Perfectionist
            sigpic
            Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Sounds like a good plan to me Steve.

Comment

I'd hate to be the fitter that didn't do a good job on Steve's screen.
                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                1990 CQ20v
                2001 3.0 B6 A4 Avant Quattro Sport

Comment

Right.

It has been booked in.

My Insurance company use RAC Windscreens. After a week of waiting for an appointment I phoned the local branch myself (as I was advised to do by the call centre) and a rather rude man told me he will call me back he is very busy and put the phone down. Another call back to the call centre got me put through again but this time directly (after they gave the branch manager a bollocking ). He told me he could fit it in on Thursday at the branch. I asked if I could have it done at home, but was told that as it was a complicated job, he would rather it was done at the branch. I agreed and asked if I could watch! Basically I told him how **** I am, and that it's a classic show car etc and I wanted a proper job done and have heard horror stories of botched jobs. I was very polite, but did not pull any punches.

I have been assured the man doing my 'screen did a Bentley last week and will have "No problems with your Audi". (All said in a very slightly condescending way )

Anyway, I hope I have not started off on the wrong foot with these guys, but at least they know I am serious. They have the 'screen and trims in stock and will do it all on Thursday morning, where they will make a cup of tea for me and I can watch through the customer window....

Fingers, toes, arms and legs are crossed.

I will report back on Thursday. (I have taken the rest of the day off to either celebrate or cry and prep my car for its MOT next week....)

Cheers,

Steve.
                  The Perfectionist
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Audi 80 View Post
                    Right.

It has been booked in.

My Insurance company use RAC Windscreens. After a week of waiting for an appointment I approached the local branch myself (as I was advised to do by the call centre) a rather rude man told me he will call me back he is very busy. Another call back to the call centre got me put through again but this time directly (after a bollocking from the call centre ) where he told me he could fit it in on Thursday at the branch. I asked if I could have it done at home, but he said as it was a complicated job, he would rather it was done at the branch. I agreed and asked if I could watch! Basically I told him how **** I am, and that it is a classic show car etc and I wanted a proper job done.

I have been assured the man doing my 'screen did a Bentley last week and will have "No problems with your Audi". (In a very slightly condescending way )

Anyway, I hope I have not started off on the wrong foot with these guys, but at least they know I am serious. They have the 'screen and trims in stock and will do it all on Thursday morning, where they will make a cup of tea for me and I can watch through the customer window....

Fingers, toes, arms and legs are crossed.

I will report back on Thursday. (I have taken the rest of the day off to either celebrate or cry and prep my car for its MOT next week....)

Cheers,

Steve.
                    Good luck Steve mines on for next week too... ive heard they`rose tint`that viewing window and pop a little`something`extra into fussy customers tea
                    S2 + RS2 yep ive had a few love em... Laser red S2 avant... Brilliant black lhd RS2... Polar silver RS2... RS blau RS2... CheeRS Al

Comment

That's what I am worried about.

Best of luck with yours, but it should be fine, the Avant is a walk in the park compared to the Coupe!

Cheers,

Steve.
                      The Perfectionist
                      sigpic

Comment

I have had a chip in the screen for a year now that no one would try to resin inject as they said the screen would crack and I was loathing the idea of having the screen changed after previous experiences.....12 years of Coupe ownership.

I was therefore living with the chip until last week when a hang glider came out of the sky (above the roof line so I couldn't see it coming) and decided to fully dis-assemble itself on my windscreen.

When I say hang glider, I actually mean a bird the size of an ALBATROSS!!!

I was heading to Heathrow early in the morning and was at warp factor 7.5 at the time, so there was an ALMIGHTY BANG!

After I picked myself up from under the steering wheel, I was left with a big smear, the odd feather and a big crack all the way across the screen There was very little left of said hang glider!

I was sent to RAC Windscreens in Cambridge by my insurance company. The guy had only done 2 before, but he told me enough about the problems to make me believe he knew what he was talking about. I showed him the raised edges of the A post covers where the previous place had failed to seat them flush with the roof and he explained what they had done wrong. His mate came trotting over and said 'that's an S2...nice car mate, don't see enough of these around here....'. It all boded well, but I was tempted to disconnect the WGFV

When I picked up the car, they came out and proudly showed me the flush fitting A-post covers. They did a VERY good job and I now have less wind noise as everything is where it should be

Moral of the story: 1 in 3 screens over 12 years CAN be fitted properly

Cheers n

Si
                        95 ABY S2 Coupe - Ragusa Green
                        Subtle mods here and there

2011 A5 3.0 TDi - Lava Grey
                        With every option available (except a towball)

Comment

Thanks Si, at the end of the day it is ONLY a car, but I do want it to be right.

Reading back through the thread, I can see youself and one other satisfied customer and both were RAC windscreens. Lets hope they can make it a hatrick!

Cheers,

Steve.
                          The Perfectionist
                          sigpic

Comment

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you too Steve... Good Luck....!!!

Chris
                            Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
                            S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
                            '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

Cheers Chris!
                              The Perfectionist
                              sigpic

Comment

More Horror

Apart from having to sort a leaky interior, Other problems ive found are the trim covers once released from the rivets have to be pushed up about a inch before they lift off or you break the tabs that hold them in place.
                                Also I have bubbles in paint work at roof level which im sure has been caused by the cutting tool used to remove old screen scratching the paint just below the top gasket causing the dreaded rust to start

cheers
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X