bumper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bumper

Im stuck without a bumper. the standard s2 bumper wont fit because my intercooler is a too thick.
    I need to know if the rs2 bumper 'comes out more' than the s2?

Habib, i'll be able to tell you in a few days, when the rest of my pipework arrives i'll try my RS2 bumper when i fit the i/c. What size is your i/c, mines 600x300x75 (total length is 800mm) the S2 bumper will just fit if the i/c is in exactly the right place.

HTH

martin

Comment

Originally posted by martinjs
      Habib, i'll be able to tell you in a few days, when the rest of my pipework arrives i'll try my RS2 bumper when i fit the i/c. What size is your i/c, mines 600x300x75 (total length is 800mm) the S2 bumper will just fit if the i/c is in exactly the right place.

HTH

martin
      670x350x80
      Attached Files

Comment

Habib, whats the distance between your intercooler and your alternator/crank pulley? the gap between mine is about an inch, much more and i doubt even the RS2 bumper will fit.
        which crossmember are you going to use?

theres a couple of pics of mine in this thread

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2903

martin

Comment

Its already on with the 3B crossmember. I have split the crossmember in half to save space.
          Im going to ribbet the intercooler to the crossmember.

Its the thickness of the intercooler that is causing problem.

Comment

Yeah you need to get it as far back as possible without fouling the pulleys of course.
            I think you'll have to make a custom crossmember to do this.
            I did try mine with a x-member from a 9020v (without the pipe in it) and it was way too far forward.
            There is only just enough room for a 300mm hich i/c, and yours is 350 so you may have to put a cutout in the top of the bumper.

Take your i/c off and stand it behind your bumper and you'll see what i mean.

martin

Comment

Originally posted by Habib
              670x350x80
              Habib, the 350mm measurement is the problem. Martin's S2 bumper had about 4-5mm spare space, it fitted perfectly as if it was made for it. The top of the Martin's I/c had mounting lugs welded on. if yours was side mounted it may just clear!
              you would need 50mm more height in a bumpeer I feel that Martins suggestion of physically putting the Intercooler inside the bumper (on the floor) would show how much space you would need.

You would need a way of accomodating the Snub mount on a cross member.

You could end up with a front bumper that looks like a Rover P6 V8 which is OK.

HTH

David

Comment

Originally posted by Stick Insect
                Habib, the 350mm measurement is the problem. Martin's S2 bumper had about 4-5mm spare space, it fitted perfectly as if it was made for it. The top of the Martin's I/c had mounting lugs welded on. if yours was side mounted it may just clear!
                you would need 50mm more height in a bumpeer I feel that Martins suggestion of physically putting the Intercooler inside the bumper (on the floor) would show how much space you would need.

You would need a way of accomodating the Snub mount on a cross member.

You could end up with a front bumper that looks like a Rover P6 V8 which is OK.

HTH

David
                I think its the 80mm measurement that is the problem, because im using standard crossmember the intercooler comes too far out. the 350mm measurement is fine with the bumper.

Comment

Hey guys I actually posted a possible thought about this situation:

I was thinking of going with a custom intercooler way later down the road but my plan was to use the s4 snub mount bracket which would lower the snub to a postion where it could be used with the audi 90 v6 lower radiator support. Potentially being able to use the center radiator support too. This is all hypothetical thoughts... But I do know of one audi 90 with a s4 aan swap that does use the s4 snub mount bracket and the audi 90 lower v6 radiator support.

Another cool pic I found is of an imsa snub mount. I like the idea alot. I like the fact that a bracket could be welded on to the intercooler.

HAve fun guys with custom options

Cheers
                  Josh

you guys might want to check irrys site: http://www.irry.com/
                  I chose not to choose life: I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who need reasons when you've got quattro?

Comment

[QUOTE=Josh-stateside]

I like the fact that a bracket could be welded on to the intercooler.

HAve fun guys with custom options

Cheers
                    Josh

Hi Josh,

Habib's Intercooler is aluminium and if a snub bracket was welded to it the first time the engine moved it would rip a hole in the intercooler. I feel the IMSA snub mount would be onto a very substantial cross member.

It's a shame Habib isn't closer I would enjoy the challenge!

The Irry site is wonderful. the Scandinavians do some great conversions ( especially considering the tax cost of cars and parts)

There is probably a good conversion somewhere.

David

Comment

Working...
                    X