No announcement yet.

Underchassis Heat Sheilds..what to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underchassis Heat Sheilds..what to do?

Hi everyone,

my heat shields underneath the car are pretty perished and i doubt the could be bolted back on again. You can see from this pic that most of the fixture points have all pulled through.

Do you know if they are available from Audi and if so whats their "official" name and any part numbers?

If they arent, what other options do I have? Thinking maybe a bit of sheet alu and take a day bending some new one.

Cheers

Will
    1996 Audi S2 - 295bhp and 326lb/ft - Complete Rebuild Project

1994 Audi 80 - 2.0 8v (slow but reliable!)

well i can update a little...

I found the part number for the very rear one. Audi say they aren't in stock but dont appear to be NLA. So fingers crossed in a couple of weeks they could be back...

Bit of a delay.

Has anyone made their own at all??

Comment

How about using some "repair" washers? You could make some out of thin ali sheet.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
      sigpic

Comment

Or just dont bother putting them back on as they dont do anything apart from Rattle and fall off ( apart from stopping things getting warm)

Comment

Mine are lying up on the Furka Pass and have been for the last year or so. You are welcome to them.

I've not encountered any problems running without them.

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
            How about using some "repair" washers? You could make some out of thin ali sheet.

If the heatshields are still available from Audi they will be big money, i know i tried to get a back box heat shield and they wanted like £280+VAT for it or something stupid... got a nice one off another member in the end

I used some big stainless penny washers to fix them where the holes had "grown" - worked a treat
            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
            Indigo ABY coupé
            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Heat shield

How about this ?
              http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/c-128-...eflection.aspx

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/items/__he...=228459_228459
              Audi S2 Coupe 1995
              VW Passat GL5 (hatch) 1986
              VW Passat GL 1.8 (saloon) 1986
              Carrera Subway 8

Comment

you dont need them - but NIMBUS make the perfect product that is mouldable to suit
                sigpic

Comment

just use stick on heat foil tape and or padding if it bothers you that much mate.

Ironic, the advert at the bottom of the page is for thermal velocity heat wrap lol
                  1993 URS4 Avant Emerald Green 350+bhp
                  1991 Ford Sierra Sapphire 4x4 in Magenta
                  BoooOOOSSSSSTTTT BANG BANG CHIRP CHIRP

Comment

Big washers, or ditch them depending on placement, nice moisture traps.
                    Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                    Sold ABY-stock

Comment

thanks for the feedback guys!

I'm tempted to ditch them and cover any components that may get hot with the heat reflective material...seems the easier option.

i'll have a look tomorrow and let you know how i go with it

Comment

To give you an idea here are the 3B heat shield details, last time I checked:

Code:
                        893 804 165 M	shield for catalyst left front		£79.93
                        8A0 804 166 B	dropped on 01/04/2009, as a solution use:
                        8A0 804 166	heat shield plate right front		£44.30
                        893 804 160	front heat shield for tunnel, dropped on 01/04/2006, without replacement.
                        895 804 160 C	rear heat shield for tunnel		£54.49
                        893 804 169 B	heat shield for middle silencer		£165.82
                        893 804 171 C	heat shield for rear silencer		£165.82
                        Prices include 20% VAT.

I decided to find alternatives to the original heat shields.
                        Ceramic coating suddenly looked like good value for money.
                        SS

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post

If the heatshields are still available from Audi they will be big money, i know i tried to get a back box heat shield and they wanted like £280+VAT for it or something stupid... got a nice one off another member in the end

I used some big stainless penny washers to fix them where the holes had "grown" - worked a treat
                          This.
                          The Perfectionist
                          sigpic
                          Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Working...
                          X