Leak fixing - Door seal sealant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rivets are fairly cheap from Audi

Will check if there's any gasket material that's on the parts list. Any suggestions for gasket material?
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Just done the driver's side trim pieces and it's not too bad a job once you get going... I drilled out all the rivets and then gently prised it all apart with little trouble.

I got the rivets from Audi, they were about 40p each but are the correct ones for the job. Looking at them, they are 4mm diameter, medium length (10mm or so) rivets.

There appears to have been some sealing tape between the black roof line trim and the body but that went brittle long ago and appears to have been damaged when the windscreen was fitted , so I removed the remains of that, cleaned it all up and used a bead or two of windscreen sealant to seal along there, before riveting it all back in place and sealing the holes with some electrical tape, in place of the factory patches. All looks solid and as it should have been done originally, rather than missing half the rivets, having the wrong rivets in there and even a random trim screw that should never have been there and was rusting away :corey:

On the side trims (which need to be re-fitted before the roof line trim), I used some rear light sealing cord to seal the windscreen side from the door side and then refitted the trim and seal, holding the rubber seal in with a little dab of windscreen sealant.

Overall, it took about 2 hours and wasn't too difficult to do, once you go over the step of just getting on with it and taking a gamble with the UK weather! Ideally, I'd take the whole roof line trim off and seal do the job properly but as that involves taking the rear windows out, I'll leave that for now!

To remove the windscreen side trims, you need to remove all rives / fixings and then slide it downwards about an inch, as there are some cutouts in the retaining slideway which allow the clips to come free. HTH

Final thing to do now is to get some half decent door seals and make sure that the new fix has cured most of the leaks.
      Last edited by Rusty; 25 June 2012, 12:54.
      Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Good work Andy! As you say, its not too bad once you take the plunge.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
        sigpic

Comment

Just need some rain now... I think I know where it was leaking from so see if it's cured! Just the leak from the base of the seal at the rear of the door to stop then but I'm just going to use windscreen sealant to take up the slack.in the seal - the water is wicking around the seal where there's a join in the sill, so I'll seal it up good.
          Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Working...
          X