No announcement yet.

The Start of my RS2 Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow - amazing to see. The result is going to be something else.

Comment

Hi there.. I'm not trying to thread jack, but wondered if you had any shots of your AC compressor from when you were under it. I'm trying to see if it has the same mounting points and is same size as mine...

Amazing build. KW coils are amazing ride and handling. I had those on my M3.

Thanks!

Comment

It's been a while since I updated this and I know we all like photos, so here's a quick walk around from yesterday.

Comment

Congratulations. Just read through the whole thread. Fantastic quality of work throughout! Really like the fact you used Oem Coils.I know they are expensive compared to the much cheaper red coils that seam to be so popular but the original Beru coils are a well proven coil that last well and of course retains the factory look. Love it!!

96 URS6 plus speck saloon
          96 URS6 plus speck estate
          94 2.6 80 Avant
          99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

How jealous am I. My poor RS is sat awaiting new door bottoms etc but I have been ordered to get a new house. Oh well at least I may have a new double garage!

Comment

Originally posted by LGK6D View Post
              I used a mix of stuff, but found that Bilberry wheel cleaner did the best job. Also a LOT of elbow grease I had the car quite high on the axles stands which meant i could get it throughly clean once everything was off. First time it's been cleaned in 20 years.

A bit of an update, while I was waiting for a couple of bits to arrive, I wanted to change the coil packs. Not that there was anything wrong with the originals, but Doug at MRC had given me a preventative maintenance schedule over the years, so it was on the to do list. I understand they go off progressively over a long duration and they're clearly the originals. I bought 5 brand new Beru packs and got the new plugs, plug boots from TPS. The pain in the bum is they won't sell the crimp on fittings so I had to source them from a number of car electrical suppliers. They are Junior Power Terminal fittings, so I bought the crimping machine and everything. I'm not a big fan of cutting and soldering when there's the choice to terminate the wires correctly. It's not a good environment to introduce a new electrical joint IMO. Here's some pics.

I made a note of the correct cable routing and copied it exactly. I'd bought some high temp wire sleeving from a catering company used for cookers. It's almost an identical match for the original.

Slipped on the new boots, you can see the new sockets on the bench I lined the lengths up with the originals.

These are the fittings you'll need.

And the crimping tool.

Proper job

Yellows done, blacks fitted

New sockets all fitted up.

Just a quick note here, the brown socket is only available in black these days, I swapped my original to keep it right.

The finished set.

Once the coil packs were done, I booked it in for its major service with MRC. The guys at MRC had given me a shopping list at the last service, so I made up a box for them with the parts from TPS and Audi Tradition. In the box was all of the auxiliary belts, cam belt, the painfully expensive water pump, thermostat, tensioner, all of the temp sensors including MFTS, pulley, bolts, lamda sensor, N75, pretty much everything else I hadn't fitted

They had the car for a week, everything was done with the care and attention I've learned to expect from Doug and the team and it was given a clean bill of health. It's had a couple of power runs on MRC's dyno, one of which was at the Forums Dyno Day. It usually makes around 346bhp or so. I got them to give it a run while it was there, but it only made 332bhp. They think this may have been to do with all of the new sensors making various adjustments. I've never fully known what the map was, but it was thought to be an MTM map. I got the guys to do a thorough check, while it was in and they set it up with the wide band CO2 equipment. It seemed to be running a little lean in the middle, possibly too much boost. At this point the discussion began of should we re-map the car with what MRC would recommend. It's not something they take lightly as Doug explained that they don't really enjoy re-mapping the older cars and wouldn't have agreed to do it if it wasn't in tip top condition. Doug thought he could smothen out the power delivery and even make a marginal gain. So they set to it and I was to collect the car on Saturday. They didn't tell me how much power it had made over the phone. When I arrived it had been cleaned, they rolled it out of the workshop and I was so happy to see it. I sat with Doug and chatted about bits and bobs, turns out it now makes 376bhp, but more than that the torque has gone up from 500nm to 550nm. Doug said I might notice a difference on my journey home. The most noticeable difference is how it drives at slow speeds. It was always a pain to drive slowly, it only ever wanted to go quick and was a hassle in traffic and stuff. It's now limo smooth. The weather was crappy driving home, but I did get a chance to give it a go, loads more torque so it's kind of finished now I guess. I'm not going to tune it or change anything further, it's at the top of its game. Once the nicer weather's here I'll get some nice photos, I'm going to try and get to a couple of the meets this year too
              LGK 6D ?

Can you suggest where I can get these connectors, you mention auto electrical suppliers but can't find any that have the ones needed (no longer available from Audi !!)

Thanks

PAUL

Comment

Just re-read the thread, the car and the thread are still just as impressive this time around as previously.

With RS2 values going up, the expense has certainly proved to be financially justified, and not just when using 'man maths'.

Any more news on how you're getting on with the car since your last update ?

Thanks.

Comment

Nice thread ! , yes we like pics !!
                  S2 's and oldtimers

Comment

Working...
                  X