Recommend me a TIG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JP View Post
    Not to hijack a thread but I have a 200A portable butters unit with variable pedal control and new gun and a regulator. Mint condition as stopped tig'ing due to a missing feed finger and never got it quite the same again. So for sale if anyone interested
    I've been looking for something decent/used for weeks. Wish I had asked here before buying new. Does the Butters run off a 32amp plug or 13amp? Still happy as I have 2 years warranty, so no worries if it breaks.
    91 Modded 3B
    14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Is it AC/DC JP?
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Butters unit runs of a 32amp plug. Haven't really advertised it yet as been umming and aahing whether to sell or not but time to clear some space so will be placing advert later after weekend after giving a couple of people first refusal.
        UrS6 Stroker + HTA3586 =

Comment

Originally posted by JP View Post
          Not to hijack a thread but I have a 200A portable butters unit with variable pedal control and new gun and a regulator. Mint condition as stopped tig'ing due to a missing feed finger and never got it quite the same again. So for sale if anyone interested
          Is it AC/DC?

If so how much? (posted to scotland)

cheers

Andy
          Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
          Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Yes AC/DC iirc MMA too need to get out storage take some pics and I'll put for sale thread up. In meanwhile pm rather than clouding up this thread.
            UrS6 Stroker + HTA3586 =

Comment

Originally posted by SteveH View Post
              I bought an RTech 160 amp AC/DC unit yesterday, best money I've spent in a long time. 20ltrs of Argon from Southwest gas supplies and hours of fun. I've done plenty of Mig over the years, so TIG is new to me. I'll post some pics when I'm up-to-speed.
              I was thinking of upgrading my DC set to this RTech AC/DC set so I'll be interested to see how you get on.
              sigpic
              1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
              1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
              1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Originally posted by AndyP View Post
                I was thinking of upgrading my DC set to this RTech AC/DC set so I'll be interested to see how you get on.
                I'll keep you posted, it will take me a few days to get used to the settings, but so far so good. The DC on mild steel and stainless is faultless. Ally definitely takes some getting used too, however I've already got some good runs and fillets down. I'm going to try some different Tungstens over the weekend and see how I get on. 160 amps is more than enough power for hobby/car jobs

Rtech are selling shop soiled units, which is what I bought at 100 quid off their normal price. They are not shop soiled at all and have minor paint issues on the main case at most. I can't see anything wrong with the unit I have.

I even got my Mrs to have a go with it this afternoon and she had no problem controlling the weld pool and adding some filler rod
                91 Modded 3B

Comment

What is the puls function? I was looking at this that is lacking this function.

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=400296567983
                  Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

it reduces the heat input into the piece
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

I see, so it welds a bit cooler?

Do you have an opinion about the plasma cutter function? They have approx 200 Euros price difference for Puls function and plasma cutter.
                      Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

Originally posted by Billman View Post
                        What is the puls function? I was looking at this that is lacking this function.

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=400296567983
                        The pulse function allows you to select a pulse frequency and amplitude, which can help to control your weld profile.

I'd suggest a watch through the Miller videos on Youtube for an insight into the features available on a TIG plant. The Miller guys eyebrows are freaky though!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4k5HIh1G9Yk
                        91 Modded 3B

Comment

I hope they didn't become like because of the pulses!!!

I understand! Nice link.
                          Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

I am between these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC-DC-TIG-...item27c6d9b2ca

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Schweisgerat-...45824468585262

http://www.ebay.de/itm/STAHLWERK-AC-...item564a395a45
                            Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

Just to update, I've finally got myself a TIG - bought Andy (Twenny Benson's) "old" R-Tech 160DC - loving it!
                              Lots of practice needed.. all good fun
                              Indigo ABY coupé
                              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Let us know how you get on with it, I'm still wanting one but trying to justify the cost at the moment.
                                96 S2 aby Coupe. Rebuild Project
                                96 mk3 golf tdi daily.

Comment

Working...
                                X