No announcement yet.

Lathes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw that tonks lathe looks like mine.Even the "knob" that select axis that will get auto movement is operated in the same way.
    I knew Romanians did good tools that others copy
    That red knob in the low position that can be moved in a lot of holes is your newton adjustment?(you use it when threading and selecting thread)?

Comment

Good information Pasbogdan

I think size is an issue for most people who do not have a workshop, for example my garage is 5m x 5m and I have to keep my car and all my tools, parts, gearbox and 2 engines etc in there at the moment!! Also in the UK we can only use a single phase motor at home, which is 240v so choice of motors are limited too
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Dont let the 3 phase stuff put you off. You can get fairly cheap 3 to single phase converters now.
        Audi Nut!!!

Comment

If you get a tool similar with one i described there will be no problem using it at mono phase.They have only 1 motor and can be put to 1 phase or changed to a mono phase built motor.Power will not be the same but you will be able to work.That was why i sayd"no electro" because you will have to change to much things to get it working at mono phase.(or you will never be able).
          There are 2 motors in fact at each.The pump motor for cooling is also 3 phase.But it is small and will work perfect wired at mono.

Comment

The tooling is a big part of the price. When I priced it up, it worked out cheeper staying friendly with a guy at a machine shop.

Comment

Here is a little cheapy Enco 9X20 lathe (top left) and a converted 3 axis CNC Enco Benchtop Mill (top center). All 120/240V and single phase. Good for little projects here and there, but larger machines are really required for some things. But, I only have so much room to work with. This machine shop area is about 120 ft2 in the back of my garage.

Comment

I've got an old Myford at work, use it all the time for odd jobs and bits for car and bikes, I love it. It used to belong to my work colleague's Dad for about 30 yrs before we got it, he was building a model steam engine with it. I've been using it so long I can work in inches or metric off the imperial dials

I'd love something a bit bigger to skim discs etc on, a Colchester would be perfect. (thats what I learnt on during my apprenticeship..

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                sigpic

Comment

Great looking workshop!
                  96 S2 aby Coupe. Rebuild Project
                  96 mk3 golf tdi daily.

Comment

I've got a late 60's Colchester Master lathe with Digital Readout and an ancient Denbeigh milling machine. I use the lathe more than the milling machine, but the mill is ideal for slitting and cutting work when I need true mating faces.

LIkewise to previous comments, they've paid for themselves many times over and there's loads of work that I just couldn't do without them. Space is at a premium and it meant that I couldn't fit a Bridgeport mill in. The Denbeigh is single phase and the lathe runs off a 3KW phase convertor - I needed to change the wiring config on the 3 phase motor to run with the convertor. Can't remember if it was Star to Delta or other way round though

I wouldn't be without them...
                    1997 A6 (C4)Q TDi http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=291269 - Sold
                    1987 CQ85RS
                    1994 S2 Avant- Gone
                    1991 V8 -Gone, but lives on in the TDi and CQ

Fintray Hillclimb - 33.20s
                    Doune Hillclimb - 55.02s
                    Forrestburn Hillclimb - 52.61

Comment

I have needed a lathe a few times recently for silly little jobs like spacers and mounts for things, my girlfriends dad used to teach turning and said he would run me through the basics sometime as iv never used one. Ill have to get one first though.

Comment

If I win the Euro lottery.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...uz38oT2kc&NR=1
                        91 Modded 3B
                        14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Originally posted by cab9fab View Post
                          Here is a little cheapy Enco 9X20 lathe (top left) and a converted 3 axis CNC Enco Benchtop Mill (top center). All 120/240V and single phase. Good for little projects here and there, but larger machines are really required for some things. But, I only have so much room to work with. This machine shop area is about 120 ft2 in the back of my garage.

I have workshop jealousy
                          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                          Indigo ABY coupé
                          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                            Good information Pasbogdan

Also in the UK we can only use a single phase motor at home, which is 240v so choice of motors are limited too
                            It's possible to have 3 phase at home, as all streets have the three phases eg, you would have phase a & the house next door would have phase b or c I'm not sure of the cost to have the electricity board connect your home to all three though ??
                            Audi S2 Coupe 1995
                            VW Passat GL5 (hatch) 1986
                            VW Passat GL 1.8 (saloon) 1986
                            Carrera Subway 8

Comment

Originally posted by benntenn67 View Post
                              It's possible to have 3 phase at home, as all streets have the three phases eg, you would have phase a & the house next door would have phase b or c I'm not sure of the cost to have the electricity board connect your home to all three though ??
                              You can just use a phase converter, they are quite cheep now, about £250 for a 3hp /2200w , ~£400 for a 5.5 hp.

getting the electric board to run you 3 phase is a bit of a lottery depending where you live, prices can vary from £2500 to £10000 !

If you are running a small lathe / milling machine then a converter is the way to go, also if you move house you don't have to spend more money getting 3 phase again.

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                                I have workshop jealousy
                                Have you seen the main work area that workshop is attached to?

Then you get really jealous!
                                Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                                Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Working...
                                X