Help removing AC condenser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help removing AC condenser

I need to change the condenser on my 95 S6. A mate of mine removed his the other day and said that the aluminium nuts on the hosefittings seized. When he eventualy gpt them off he said they had caved in a bit from his spanner, and tjey seemed to be ever so soft.. So now he needs new hoses too. Anyway, if it`s possible i would like to avoid that. Any tips from the pros? Any special spanners needed as the nuts seem to be made of clay?

Cheers.

Kris
    Audi 80 Competition -94 Daily driver

www.garaget.org/fish for more pic´s of my cars

If it's anything like the connections at the AC compressor on the S2 it will probably put up a fight and might **** up the threads.
    I can't 100% remember the reason but I think it has something to do with using different alloys on the connecting parts making them react with each other over time.

That said I have managed to remove and install the condenser connection a few times so your milage may vary, this again on the S2.
    I used good quality wrenches in correct sizes, like 27, 29 mm or something.
    Don't use an adjustable wrench or pipe wrench.
    Audi S2 -1994 | 480 Hp 650 Nm | FlexFuel | MaxxECU | 3" Stainless | Porsche GT3 Front Brakes
    http://www.garaget.org/?car=52877

Comment

Thanks. Hopefully i wont need to remove from the compressor, only the condenser... They both seem to be aluminium. But with my luck everything will seize, brake, warp. Haha. I ordered it today anyway.

Comment

My air con has long since been removed and it was so broken when I took it out I just cut it out.

As a suggestion; good penetrating fluid?

I'm a big fan of good penetrating fluid.

having been sceptical for years, I tried some and it only went and worked where hammering and brute force didnt! My other favourite is heat but being aluminium you run the risk of making the fittings softer by annealing them so I'd probably steer clear.
        Last edited by steve briance; 20 June 2020, 20:27.

Comment

Yes, this is my idea too. My mate used an induction heater to his fittings, and as i work as a custom fabricator i thought that is way to much heat for a quite thin aluminium nut. Ill get under the car tomorrow and start squirting a bit of Omega penetrating fluid at them. So far its the absolute best PF i have ever used. Some say a 50/50 mixture of ATF fluid and paint thinner is great too but i have never tried it.

Comment

Originally posted by fish View Post
            Yes, this is my idea too. My mate used an induction heater to his fittings, and as i work as a custom fabricator i thought that is way to much heat for a quite thin aluminium nut. Ill get under the car tomorrow and start squirting a bit of Omega penetrating fluid at them. So far its the absolute best PF i have ever used. Some say a 50/50 mixture of ATF fluid and paint thinner is great too but i have never tried it.
            Tell me more about this Omega penetrating fluid
            https://www.s2forum.com/forum/member...-3b-1991-coupe

Comment

Its called Omega 636 and its absolutly brilliant. Its as thin as water so it creeps in ever so well. I still havent got round to swapping my condenser out though, haha.

Comment

There’s another good PF called Rostof Ice, made by Wurth? It has a freezer in it (liquid CO2 I think) , works really well on certain things. Very wet like the Omega stuff too.
                Get some new O rings for the connections as they probably won’t survive the dismantling.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                sigpic

Comment

While talking about the ac condensor thingy.
                  Was trying to take it off yesterday, doing a refurbish of the car so everything is going out..

anyway, I see its a 32mm "screw" , can hold a 27mm against it but its a bit stuck.

Will just insane amount of warming help it out or is it probably corroded due to the metals not cooperation over time?
                  Ran some penetrating oils of different sorts but its still stuck. managed to loosening everything else with norml pt and raw power
                  https://www.s2forum.com/forum/member...-3b-1991-coupe

Comment

Working...
                  X