S4 climate problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S4 climate problem

Just bought an S4(AAN), its got climate control but its only blowing cold air.The temp gauge on the dash doesnt work so was wondering if this may be linked?.Would vagcom pull codes for either of these problems?

Climate Control Blowing Cold

My S6 does the same

Send me a PM and I will tell you what could be the problem

I will be posting the fix when I get mine sorted but it will be a "Warm Weather" job, which is why I haven't done a forum BTDT yet

Ta

Dave

Originally posted by spink
    Just bought an S4(AAN), its got climate control but its only blowing cold air.The temp gauge on the dash doesnt work so was wondering if this may be linked?.Would vagcom pull codes for either of these problems?
    1997 S6 Avant

Comment

I know that the AC compressor won't come on if the ouside temp is below a certain value, so it may well be connected.

Mine works fine.. so I can check stuff on mine if it helps..
      1996 A6 TDI Quattro Avant, Xenon HIDs, A4 Autodipping rearview.
      Previous: UrS6 with RS2 bits.. <sigh>

Comment

James,

Two possibilities. One is the water valve. The other the temp flap.
        The water valve is tucked away behind the head. It has a vac pipe going to it. Might be worth checking to see whether it moves and/or has vac applied to it.That is the hot water supply.
        The temp flap "blends " the air through the heater matrix. You will have to take the plenum cover off to access this. This is controlled electrically I think. Looking at the flap positions, if it is angled towards the front of the vehicle it is in the cooling position, towards the back, heating. Again you might need to alternate the climate to see if anything moves.
        Other than that, there is always the possibility it is the control head!
        The control head has a quite impressive fault diagnosis using the segments in the display. Unfortunately it is a PITA to describe unless someone like SJM has stuck it on their site!
        That might be enough to get some warm air into the car.
        You could measure the outside temp sensor resistance outside(cold) and inside(warmer) to see whether it changes.
        Good Luck!

Comment

Thanks chaps.Will let you know how it goes.

Comment

The 2 codes i got were 08.5/13.7 which are the temp flap

For future reference

http://www.12v.org/maintenance/index...&ch=ccodes&v=1

Comment

I fixed the temp flap motor on my mates 200 with CC, its a bit of a pain to get to IIRC but was just a matter of unsiezing it. A little motor with a screw thread to operate the flap, (works like a resistance bridge I think) The motor was stuck or something..

The 2 codes i got were 08.5/13.7 which are the temp flap

For future reference

http://www.12v.org/maintenance/index...&ch=ccodes&v=1

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
              sigpic

Comment

The Compressor does indeed stop working when you get a very low outside temp, my A4 Climate dosen't work below 3.0 deg C. All to do with protecting the system from failing because it is too cold to operate etc.

However, this isn't connected to the "No Heat" coming through the various vents. The problem is with the 3 Potentiometers that control the 3 Flaps, which in turn are operated by the Climate Control Head Unit and are responsible for directing hot or cold air through the various outlets.

Heat should still come through the vents even if the compressor isn't working.

Originally posted by JasonS
                I know that the AC compressor won't come on if the ouside temp is below a certain value, so it may well be connected.

Mine works fine.. so I can check stuff on mine if it helps..
                1997 S6 Avant

Comment

Working...
                X