No announcement yet.

Broken Exhaust Mnaifold Stud Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doug, if you are going to weld it I would recommend putting a M10 nut over the stud and weld all the way round , this will generate plenty of heat and aid removal. The studs are prone for being weak and I wouldn't have expected it to be too seized in the head.
    HTH
    Chris
    A6 Avant Tdi 110 because as the fuel prices keep going up I am so happy to be getting 649.8 miles to a tank of diesel!! (£50)

Comment

Welded a nut on and it came off no problem - easy when you have the right tools.

Because I tried to get it off with molegrips it had rounded the head and taken a bit of metal off anyway - A M8 nut screwed on real easy. It went on so there was about 1mm of stud sticking out and it was welded all the way round.
      Last edited by Doug_RS2; 22 January 2004, 20:44.
      S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Originally posted by Doug_RS2
        Welded a nut on and it came off no problem - easy when you have the right tools.
        Good news!

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by newsh
          Good news!
          It was one of those things I could see turning into a nightmare! It was a relief when it came out.
          S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Originally posted by Doug_RS2
            It was one of those things I could see turning into a nightmare! It was a relief when it came out.
            Yeah that's a great feeling. I had to do a job on the carbs on my R1 a while back, fitting a device called a Flow Commander, it involved taking off the inlets to the carbs which are held on with 2 m4 posidrive screws each which are locktited in. A total of 3 out of the 8 screws snapped off leaving just enough to get hold of with moles.. I even snapped one of them again! A tiny butane blowtorch and the smallest easyout in the kit got that one out eventually. Oh yes, these were brand new carbs that had been on the bike for about 3 weeks. Patience is the key!

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
            sigpic

Comment

Well done m8 !

Package on its way to you. Make sure you fnd all the parts including the fasteners in the foam chip packaging!!

Lee
              1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
              Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

Good news Doug, if it aint one thing its usually another, well done.

Mark.
                Mark - Modded

Comment

Glad it came out ok!
                  I had 2 or 3 break when I did Beeties 3b last year! Not nice when they break but what a great feeling when it comes out nice and easy!
                  Good luck with the rebuild
                  Chris
                  A6 Avant Tdi 110 because as the fuel prices keep going up I am so happy to be getting 649.8 miles to a tank of diesel!! (£50)

Comment

I had to take two of the EM studs out by using a counter thread tappet (don't know the correct name but you know...). They snapped a few millimeters in the head so no welding was possible
                    Drilling a 3mm hole in the studs was a bit hard.
                    -

Comment

Great news.

I removed a couple of broken studs last night myself.

A water manifold stud was broken of in the head. I removed it by heating for a bit then using Vice-Grips (mole grips???). The ket to using the grips is to not use the tips where the cross cuts are. Use the area of the clamp where the TEETH are. Works great!

The other broken stud was in the oil pan where the extension bolts on. I broke it off even when trying the grips. From there it was drill and tap.

Now I just have one more broken stud, exhaust manifold...

Anyway, thanks for the update. Keep wrenching!
                      Dave K.
                      USA
                      1991 e//S2 (home built S2 - the only way to get one in USA!)
                      2001 S4

Comment

Working...
                      X