No announcement yet.

Injector seats - where to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well just replaced these and one of the little feckers snapped and fell onto the head Luckily the pieces were large and the valves pretty much shut. Still, an hour and a half and one inlet manifold removal and refitting after I started a 15 minute job, I'm done
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
      Well just replaced these and one of the little feckers snapped and fell onto the head Luckily the pieces were large and the valves pretty much shut. Still, an hour and a half and one inlet manifold removal and refitting after I started a 15 minute job, I'm done
      Yes. Good thing you didn't turn that engine key...

Comment

Yes, I wasn't amused
        Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

I went at mine yesterday, changing them to be on the safe side besides my IM was blasted so who knows how damaged those inserts are.

I had great difficulty getting them out, My extremely snug fitting allen socket just rounded the insert, leaving me to melt a section, by running a hot screwdriver along an edge taking care not to damage the threads to relieve pressure

Was only successful 3/5 times though

No threads were harmed but it took a long time to clear it out.
          Attached Files
          Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

Originally posted by irishs2 View Post
            I went at mine yesterday, changing them to be on the safe side besides my IM was blasted so who knows how damaged those inserts are. I had great difficulty getting them out, My extremely snug fitting allen socket just rounded the insert, leaving me to melt a section, by running a hot screwdriver along an edge taking care not to damage the threads to relieve pressure.Was only successful 3/5 times though No threads were harmed but it took a long time to clear it out.
            Thanks for that. I *was* contemplating re and re'ing my inserts insitu but after that and the other "broke my insert" story, the intake is going to come off for this one.

Dave F.
            Last edited by UrS4boy; 9 June 2013, 18:28.
            RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
            94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

oh I remember... I needed a few hours to clean out the old silicone but it was easy to get the seats out... but I put the inlet manifold out first...

no fun..
              [__]=oooo=[__]

Comment

Mine aren't as bad as the 5 above but here's the one that broke and the bits that fell out. The other one was broken when I tightened them up a bit a while back, luckily I was able to completely remove it after hearing the crack and remove the section.
                Attached Files
                Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Could get some of these made out of brass to prevent them breaking in the future. Might be about £40-50 a set but that's rather cheaper than engine damage
                  Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

never broke one. don't be heavy handed. slight tighten then remove.

these are same in any digi golf gti or g60.

Comment

These never come out in one piece.
                      If they do, it means they weren't sealing, as they always should be fitted with a sealant to prevent a massive boost leak.
                      http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

I used some Loctite black gasket sealant when I put them back in, so the new ones are all nice and snug now
                        Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                          Told you so
                          sigpic
                          1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                          1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                          1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

They were fine the first time round... only a couple of months back. It was the one on cylinder 5 that snapped, more than likely because access to that one wasn't as good as the rest

Have to say, if I was doing this on another car, I'd just pull the IM off, although with the radiator air guides in place, this would be a lot more difficult than it was on my car with it's no nonsense engine bay.
                            Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Anyone know the thread for these?
                              Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

I'm only reading this thread because I was hoping you were looking for ejector seats and there had been a typo.

Comment

Working...
                                X