No announcement yet.

Heater Matrix Removal With Pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd say it would be something along those lines, do you plan on taking out the dash to do all this or trying to work around it as it might be an idea just to change the heater box for a non-aircon one. Your one should be fine tho, just check/follow the pipes to see. When you planning on doing this?

Comment

When i get time mate, really busy at the mo still have a few things to sort on the land rover and then theres work i'm on shifts now for a month
      Hmm i make take the dash out seems the safest way so at least i won't break anything, i hope!
      '95 ABY Avant - Sold
      '98 B5 S4 -MRC400+ = 464ps 741nm

Comment

Ok well your have to let me know if you need any help if i'm free i'll pop up and assist.

Make sure you have an 8mm socket preferably one with both a ratchet and a screwdriver attachment as everything seems to be 8mm

Comment

Forgot to add this.

to the left of this picture inside where the clocks sit is a black vent going to the heater matrix, this has 1x cross head screw that needs removing (if you forget it breaks the vent but is still useable

one other thing to check is the wires for the heater controls run free as they have a tendancy to snap the tags off if done wrong.

Comment

Few more bits to add -

In this picture it shows where the ecu wiring goes thru into the car (the hole under the white pipe) as its easier to show in this picture with the battery tray removed.

closeup

Its easiest as we found if you are doing a loom swap to feed the wires back thru this hole back into the inside of the car. Its alot easier with the tray out the way.

The battery tray as shown here removed is only held by a few spot welds, we cut the tray down the middle so we could flex it and the welds soon give out leaving it held in by the mastick stuff.

Climate control airbox

this shows the main part that connects onto this section by 6 small tab clips

If using a climate box in a s2 coupe/avant you only need the top section mounted onto the original non climate section. But worth getting both for sensors/motors etc.

A bit dark but this is what its like on an s2 with the airbox/heater box removed.

Once you get the practice of removing/refitting the dash it really ain't that hard. Its normally around half hour now for me to remove a dash and about an hour to refit and tidy up everything. Taking out the heaterbox once the dash is out is normally around another half hour.

Comment

Very timely bump of this thread...

My S2 has been locked up for a few weeks now with zero progress on the windscreen / A-pillar leak - this has given me renewed confidence to get the dashboard out of it so I can better see what is going wrong and/or make it a lot easier for anyone doing a windscreen replacement.

I also have some bits for the climate control upgrade... would seem a good time to maybe look at that in more detail. Doesn't look too bad to actually remove the dashboard - I've done the clusters and centre sections many times so only a few more bolts will release the dash panel itself.

I also have cruise control to fit and I could get really intense on the wiring loom stuff to unravel a few more mysteries and undocumented anomolies... the attic in the garage is already full of carpet and other trim - gonna have to hide the dashboard in the house somewhere - LOL.

Spaghetti here I come.
              Paul Nugent
              Webmaster http://S2central.net
              Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
              2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
              2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
                Very timely bump of this thread...

My S2 has been locked up for a few weeks now with zero progress on the windscreen / A-pillar leak - this has given me renewed confidence to get the dashboard out of it so I can better see what is going wrong and/or make it a lot easier for anyone doing a windscreen replacement.

I also have some bits for the climate control upgrade... would seem a good time to maybe look at that in more detail. Doesn't look too bad to actually remove the dashboard - I've done the clusters and centre sections many times so only a few more bolts will release the dash panel itself.

I also have cruise control to fit and I could get really intense on the wiring loom stuff to unravel a few more mysteries and undocumented anomolies... the attic in the garage is already full of carpet and other trim - gonna have to hide the dashboard in the house somewhere - LOL.

Spaghetti here I come.
                Good luck with this paul, its really not that bad once you get started, any questions give me a shout. There will be another forum member going down the climate control route as he's having all my climate stuff off me soon.

I will try find out a pdf file I had with pictures etc showing the cruise control fitment. From what i've heard thats not too bad.

Comment

how did you remove that battery tray? looks like you took a big hammer to it...

Comment

Cut it across it so that it could be flexxed back and forth and eventually after a couple of minutes the spot welds gave out then the sealant.

Comment

bout to do this on the coupe this week , canny wait !!
                      93 S2 Avant Parting
                      91 URQ RR
                      02 A4 tdi Avant

Comment

Don't worry too much as once you get into it it's not that bad. I'd do it again.
                        Just some finishing touches to do now

Comment

Bump. Any chance you can re-upload the pics?
                          91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
                          93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
                          94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Originally posted by mcandmar View Post
                            Bump. Any chance you can re-upload the pics?
                            please?

Comment

Henk, I'm just taken mine out......RHD and no AC but I can send you pics via WhatsApp if it might help?

Comment

that would be great. no urgency yet, but I know it's a matter of time before it's due

Comment

Working...
                                X