No announcement yet.

Another leaky Coupe, sunroof problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Theory is good, but unfortunately i don't think this is my case. I've tried pouring water in the sunroof and both corners drain fine. When i think about it i had same case with car parked *** up, front down and *** down, front up. It seems like it's gathering a pool on the plastic that's around headliner. I will of course check the drains one more time and maybe try Biltema gasket just for fun.

Really appreciate your good help. Thank you.
    And thank you mike74 for confirming my suspicion before i ordered the wrong gasket

Comment

*** = The back of the car..

Comment

No problem. Before you do anything else, see how well the sunroof seal is physically attached to the panel. My one wasn't sitting right at all but when I pulled the seal away a little to look inside, the actual metal of the panel was rotten and the rust was pushing the seal away! I think if water gets past the top-most part of the seal, it gets into the mild steel section of the panel's framework and rots it out. Once the water gets in there there's nowhere for it to go but round the panel. Once it rusts then the seal doesn't do its job any more and water can internally bypass the seal & drop into the cabin!
        I knocked a quick sketch together to try and show what I mean:
        PANEL.jpg

Comment

mike74 got a good point, you should investigate. Also when it comes to the glass panel I have never seen one up close. You can try using some gaffa tape to seal between the gasket and the seal. If the leak is gone then, then you know what's the problem.

Comment

That's a great drawing mike74. Very helpful indeed.

Comment

My glass sunroof rusted away where the glass was bonded on to the steel, water poured in.

The other thing is, with a glass sunroof you get a lot of condensation on the glass, so if there is water in the car from the back you still get rained on from the glass.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
              sigpic

Comment

Exactly like this! (I posted from the page before )

This is how I ended up with a steel sunroof

Originally posted by mike74 View Post
                No problem. Before you do anything else, see how well the sunroof seal is physically attached to the panel. My one wasn't sitting right at all but when I pulled the seal away a little to look inside, the actual metal of the panel was rotten and the rust was pushing the seal away! I think if water gets past the top-most part of the seal, it gets into the mild steel section of the panel's framework and rots it out. Once the water gets in there there's nowhere for it to go but round the panel. Once it rusts then the seal doesn't do its job any more and water can internally bypass the seal & drop into the cabin!
                I knocked a quick sketch together to try and show what I mean:
                [ATTACH]56576[/ATTACH]

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by happykriss View Post
                  *** = The back of the car..
                  Can't say aR$se on the forum

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Is it possible to replace the glass sunroof panel with the steel panel just by changing the panels? Are the panel fixings the same or different from glass to steel? My glass panel is rusting away and I need to do something about it. I have a complete steel panel cassette in storage but I'd rather just change the panels while I see if the glass panel can be fixed. Second hand glass panels without rust seem to be little hard to find.

Comment

Everthing is different, you have to change the whole cassette

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Wow! Lots of good ideas. First thing first.. I have a steel sunroof. Need to check my grammar on earlier post, but i think mike74 is on to something. My problem now is instead of pouring rain we got -1*C and ice.. so no leaks.
                        I will anyways replace the gasket and check if i find anything sketchy. I don't believe it's rust as it was painted a good year ago, but the seal has seen some ***** so it's a little bit shady.

I'm going all in for 2016 All dry S2 coupe summer Olympics so thank all of you again for your comments and help!

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
                          Can't say aR$se on the forum
                          Apparently you can't mention what comes out of there either

Comment

True!

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X