No announcement yet.

CobraRTP - Real-Time EPROM Emulator!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are making bit confusion, this is an emulator for turbo and fuel chips, this tool just save you from open motronic, clear old software and rewrite it all the time you want to modify something. It isnt a software for tune the car ... For this im using prjmod

Comment

Originally posted by ziopinulo View Post
      You are making bit confusion, this is an emulator for turbo and fuel chips, this tool just save you from open motronic, clear old software and rewrite it all the time you want to modify something. It isnt a software for tune the car ... For this im using prjmod
      but, does it support both eng/fuel and boost/turbo chips ?
      from the images it looks like it's only one connector.

Comment

I wish Aleksander would give us more info, as the his fist post suggests one can use the Cobra emulator to make adjustments to both chips on the fly which would great.

However it's very hard to find out anything about it as the links he's posted no longer work or have been blocked.
        1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
        1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
        1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
        1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post
          I wish Aleksander would give us more info, as the his fist post suggests one can use the Cobra emulator to make adjustments to both chips on the fly which would great.

However it's very hard to find out anything about it as the links he's posted no longer work or have been blocked.
          Second that !
          If it fully supports the Audi M232 this would be interesting to "play" with

Comment

I also use this emulator with m2.3.2 and "it works well" is correct review for it. It simply does its job well, emulating 27c512 and 87c257 chips found in our ECU-s. It is "generic" emulator, it has nothing to do with m2.3.2 specifically. You can find supported ECU-s with appropriate chips that this emulator can handle on their website. Yes, it will emulate both chips on m2.3.2, fuel/ign and boost chip with adapter found on their store.
            There is no real "how-to" on how to use it, manuals for emulator part of things can be found on their website, and software and ECU preparation and setup can be found in m232.org wiki. You need to combine multiple things to get your ECU tuneable. As for the connector, it has 1 DIP connector, so you will be able to emulate one chip at a time with single emulator.
            This is by no means an easy to use plugin solution, these days maxxecu or similar standalone ECU-s are far more sophisticated and advanced and will achieve best end result in a more reliable and faster fashion. I would imagine there are almost no tuners out there with dyno willing to map your motronic with this emulator + logging setup. This is for tinkerers, willing to learn stuff along the way. For example I use Tunerpro + Winlog + Megalogviewer softwares combined to tune my car (+software and hardware to write chips as needed).

Why I personally use this:

1. No need to change vehicle wiring, no need to think about triggers or setting up ECU for engine or anything, I can use factory built and calibrated ECU specifically for this engine.
            2. Emulator is decently priced and since Dmitri released all of his m2.3.2 related work for free (huge respect for that), this makes all of it budget friendly.
            3. I used to work as mechanic, so naturally I'd like to do stuff on my own and learn new things while doing so.
            4. Factory calibrated knock control - for novice like myself, it gives safety margins while tuning. Sure it won't save engine from massive errors, but doing things step by step it gives peace of mind.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Yes, that's very helpful, thanks for taking the time write up such useful information.
              1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
              1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
              1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
              1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by tekstil View Post
                I also use this emulator with m2.3.2 and "it works well" is correct review for it. It simply does its job well, emulating 27c512 and 87c257 chips found in our ECU-s. It is "generic" emulator, it has nothing to do with m2.3.2 specifically. You can find supported ECU-s with appropriate chips that this emulator can handle on their website. Yes, it will emulate both chips on m2.3.2, fuel/ign and boost chip with adapter found on their store.
                There is no real "how-to" on how to use it, manuals for emulator part of things can be found on their website, and software and ECU preparation and setup can be found in m232.org wiki. You need to combine multiple things to get your ECU tuneable. As for the connector, it has 1 DIP connector, so you will be able to emulate one chip at a time with single emulator.
                This is by no means an easy to use plugin solution, these days maxxecu or similar standalone ECU-s are far more sophisticated and advanced and will achieve best end result in a more reliable and faster fashion. I would imagine there are almost no tuners out there with dyno willing to map your motronic with this emulator + logging setup. This is for tinkerers, willing to learn stuff along the way. For example I use Tunerpro + Winlog + Megalogviewer softwares combined to tune my car (+software and hardware to write chips as needed).

Why I personally use this:

1. No need to change vehicle wiring, no need to think about triggers or setting up ECU for engine or anything, I can use factory built and calibrated ECU specifically for this engine.
                2. Emulator is decently priced and since Dmitri released all of his m2.3.2 related work for free (huge respect for that), this makes all of it budget friendly.
                3. I used to work as mechanic, so naturally I'd like to do stuff on my own and learn new things while doing so.
                4. Factory calibrated knock control - for novice like myself, it gives safety margins while tuning. Sure it won't save engine from massive errors, but doing things step by step it gives peace of mind.

Hope this helps.
                Exactly correct, great post Tecstil! ?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                sigpic

Comment

yes but if i found something already done that would save me all desoldering i would be happier..
                  You don't understand. On the 28 DIP IDC terminated plug of the emulator there's a socket put on top of that.
                  Remove this socket from the plug.

I did not have any problems running 2x Ostrich with boards together ... They close. Just, even with the latch adapter.
                  And this emulator uses the exact same 28P plug.
                  http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

If you want to emulate both chips at same time you need 2x emulator and you need a small board that provides a tri-state latch (adapter) for 87C257.

Originally posted by larsaskogstad View Post
                    1) I guess it would be similar to other TunerPro software tuning, not tried myself
                    2) Not sure what the turbo chip is
                    3) If its the same as the m232.org I think it was logging and some adjustment when you pass 8000rpm or something.

4) Maxx, many people have used it and have base maps and setups and easy to tune
                    All the info about limitations is posted on wiki dude.
                    After 8500 rpm the dwell time starts to get a bit low, due to the distributor emulation logic.

But before that, at around 7.3-7.4k you start to get ECU resets because it's **** the way I wrote the logging logic in boost chip with vectoring to interrupt like crazy. It's possible to do it like the fuel chip by inserting calls to the code into map lookup and main loop code, then it won't crash the ECU anymore at high RPM.
                    It's actually a super simple small change, but I just haven't done anything with these for ages. And I think the only ECU's I have left here are broken, so I can't even test it. Would be good to fix that just for completeness.

Comment

Originally posted by prj View Post
                      If you want to emulate both chips at same time you need 2x emulator and you need a small board that provides a tri-state latch (adapter) for 87C257.

All the info about limitations is posted on wiki dude.
                      After 8500 rpm the dwell time starts to get a bit low, due to the distributor emulation logic.

But before that, at around 7.3-7.4k you start to get ECU resets because it's **** the way I wrote the logging logic in boost chip with vectoring to interrupt like crazy. It's possible to do it like the fuel chip by inserting calls to the code into map lookup and main loop code, then it won't crash the ECU anymore at high RPM.
                      It's actually a super simple small change, but I just haven't done anything with these for ages. And I think the only ECU's I have left here are broken, so I can't even test it. Would be good to fix that just for completeness.
                      Dmitri - I know you are busy VehiCAL datalogger (I've used it myself as you know on some tune dev).
                      The work you released on the M232 is obviously great and helps people like myself who want to retain the stock ecu. I might be speaking for myself but I'm not a coder and therefore become stuck on certain things such as having 0 to 5v inputs (ended up using a patch from another user but no idea of its negative impact) or like this ECU reset sounds pretty bad and makes me wonder if I could damage the engine during this reset event?

I have a spare ECU which I could send you if that helps? its actually got your tune on it with a 4bar sensor which you done for the previous owner.

Cheers

Comment

Nah, it won't damage the engine.
                        Don't really have time to work on it either.

But hey, some guys from Estonia are posting here and some of my IRL friends have these cars, so if I need access to one it isn't a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by prj View Post
                          Nah, it won't damage the engine.
                          Don't really have time to work on it either.

But hey, some guys from Estonia are posting here and some of my IRL friends have these cars, so if I need access to one it isn't a problem.
                          Nice
                          I actually had to google IRL
                          If you find sometime for this might be a good idea to fix other known issues or a poll with small wish list.
                          Getting patches from others worries me
                          Cheers

Comment

i have and i can reccomend it works very well! but i ask you a question Aleksander. for emulate turbo chip 87c512 we have to use the adapter that make connector too high for close the 2 boards together. it should move the adapter out of the motronic, like with a male/female socket extension
                            Remove red part carefully with screwdriver, it will separate where yellow line is. It is solderable socket on top of the plug, you don't need it. After doing this, boost chip adapter board and emulator plug will fit inside ECU and you can close boards.

d7cq0wMMG4Y1.jpg

Comment

What's the issue with mounting it like this? I'm only emulating the motor chip currently but I have ordered the boost brd and plan on mounting a second emulator next to it.

Comment

@Bobby
                                I have a Moates Ostrich and a latch adapter for the '87 chip I am willing to sell as I've gone to MaxxEcu now.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X