Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audio setup advice

Hi,

Ive read through pretty much every thread in this section on audio but could still do with some further advice as my audio knowledge is somewhat limited to my ICE installation in my clio and my hifi.

The setup in my coupe is pretty much stock with some ancient pioneer cassette head unit and 6-cd changer mounted in the boot.

Its been said before, but as i understand my coupe consists of 2x4" components on the dash, 2x 6.5" components next to the rear seats and 2x tweeters on either side behind the rear seats.

Im after something that will provide a much higher quality at a decent volume with minimal modification to the speaker locations. Also im not afraid to spend a bit of cash to get it right.

My initial thoughts which id like advice on are to replace the 4" dash speakers with new 4" 2-way or components, the MB Quarts seem to come highly recommended, and the rear 6" with components and have all 4 running from something like a 5 channel amp mounted in the boot, such as the Genesis Profile 5.

The 5th channel on the amp would run a 10" or 12" sub mounted in the boot also.

If anyone can provide links to products they'd recommend working together that would be great. Im also unsure about how to work out what speakers match what amp. I see all sorts of max power or RMS figures, sometimes with products not displaying the RMS figure, and i cant work out how this links to the power per channel on the amp. Is it just a case of the channel power can't exceed with speaker max power?

Ty
    S2Forum.com Administrator

Untested

How about velcroing this to your dash, giving it 9v and plugging your phone into it. Even has a hole to stop your phone sliding about.

I'm sure some one on here could find a way to attach the remote to the steering wheel with cable-ties or a bit of spit.

What do you want from your ICE? (What do you listen to?)
    Good sounds and the pleasure of hearing your seat sqeeking, Heavy sounds and assurance of hearing the engine fall out, Club level and the knowledge that the neighbourhood will be entertained whatever else happens?
    Cars produce a large amount of low frequencies. To overcome this you need power and or a well made woofer, bigger the better.
    Get the best quality front speakers and front end. You can try that and then see what more you need.

Or you could go retro/pro with a pair of these on the back seat!

They might fit.
    Dane
    S2 91 (red standard)

Comment

Originally posted by borderS2 View Post
      What do you want from your ICE? (What do you listen to?)
      Good sounds and the pleasure of hearing your seat sqeeking, Heavy sounds and assurance of hearing the engine fall out, Club level and the knowledge that the neighbourhood will be entertained whatever else happens?
      Cars produce a large amount of low frequencies. To overcome this you need power and or a well made woofer, bigger the better.
      Get the best quality front speakers and front end. You can try that and then see what more you need.

Or you could go retro/pro with a pair of these on the back seat!
      They might fit.
      I generally listen to dance/trance music but have a wide range of classical, orchestral, vocal and instrumental music that i also play on the odd occasion. As i tried to stress in my original post i am after a QUALITY system before anything else.

This is part of my living room hifi so i'll let you decide.

Comment

Right, here's where I've got to with mine..

In my cab I have 4" MB quart components up front with the tweeters in the air vents for the side windows (they're useless as vents anyway if you ask me), and I just left the stock speakers in the back - I'm not using them

The fronts are driven by a 5 channel MB Quart amp in the boot, with each tweeter and mid range speaker getting it's own channel, there are nice variable crosovers on each channel on the amp. - that leaves the last channel for the sub, its a sub channel on the MB Quart amp anyway so it all works out well.

Headunit is a Becker Grand Prix.

I think the sound is excellent - I'm not winning any SPL contests thats for sure but I really think the quality is spot on. I'm a DJ by trade so I know a rubbish setup whenever I hear one - Then again my ears could be dead by now so hmmm....

Oh and finally - I got all the MB Quart gear when the $ / £ was really excellent, me and a mate made a huge order from the states. Think he actually has one of the same 5-Channel amps as mine still sitting around that he never got to use in his corrado project. But anyway, I digress.... I dunno what current prices / Availability are like.

I can post model numbers and pics if you want!

Dan

Comment

Nice!

Maybe this is a place to start to google
          Speakers
          front
          Alphasonik PF40C 100 Watt 4" Coax Speakers
          rear (flat IIRC)
          Impulse FC-216 Flat Coaxial 6.5" Speakers (fixed tweeters)
          Alpine SPE-17SF Shallow Mount 210 Watt 6.5" Component Speakers

Head
          Alpine CDA-9886R CD MP3 USB Car Stereo
          Or
          Alpine CDE-103BT CD MP3 USB IPOD BLUETOOTH Aux Car Stereo

Alpine PDX-4.150 4 Channel Car Amplifier
          Bottom
          ?..maybe too big ?
          MB Quart RHG304S Reference Single 12" Enclosed Subwoofer
          Alpine MRP-M1000 V-Power 1900 Watt Mono Amp
          And serious wire!
          D
          Still like the Tannoy Dual concentrics, 400 Watts RMS each.
          S2 91 (red standard)

Comment

about any 4" will fit in the front location, some 5" might also fit (some work required). I have a 4" Peerless in with a tweeter on top (no drilling required, just used double sided tape). I have left the standard rears (5" iirc) in place, but have disconnected the tweeters and have both front and rears connected to a small amp. I used to have a small sub in the boot, but never got it to sound OK, when placed on the rear seat it sounded great, so I ended up placing it on the floor behind the driver's seat as best compromise. but with a amp or headunit which allows you to adjust the phase there is no reason why a woof in the boot shouldn't sound OK.

To get the overall sound right, I'd advise to invest in an amp or headunit that will allow very flexible filtering configuration, and possibly also a dsp. also I'd just put mids in the rear, having highs from behind messes up the stereo imaging.

Comment

Amp: I would recommend Audison LRx5 really a nice bit of kit.
              Speakers: Go with a Hertz Hi-Energy 163.
              Door builds: I would recommend that you get a 6.5" unit in the front doors, if you wont do this then stick the 6.5" in the rear door cards on the coupe.
              Front Tweeters: Stick them in the air vents.

I would ditch the tweeters in the rear.
              Sleeper S2 Avant +450

A6 Avant 2.7t Stage 3

Audi S2 Coupe RS2'ed

Comment

Cheers guys.

Originally posted by Jonas_R View Post
                Amp: I would recommend Audison LRx5 really a nice bit of kit.
                Speakers: Go with a Hertz Hi-Energy 163.
                Door builds: I would recommend that you get a 6.5" unit in the front doors, if you wont do this then stick the 6.5" in the rear door cards on the coupe.
                Front Tweeters: Stick them in the air vents.

I would ditch the tweeters in the rear.
                I wont be butchering my leather doors, so are you saying go with a 4" component up front with the tweeters in the vents AND 6.5" in the rear ditching the rear tweeters?

Also, should i be looking at 10" or 12" subs and what kind of RMS power for the sub should i be looking at? Im thinking these 2000W things are a tad OTT!

Comment

Originally posted by Henkjan View Post
                  about any 4" will fit in the front location, some 5" might also fit (some work required).
                  Not true IMHO. You have to be very careful with your choice of 4" speaker, otherwise you will have to cut the dash.

The 4" speaker MUST have a round basket (not square) and needs four small "break off" lugs, so that you can remove two of them to fit.

Andy,

I would echo some of the above comments and here is what I did in mine, that I think is a good solid clear set up:

Front:

4" speaker in std dash locations, Tweeter next to it in air vent dash bucket. Both running off 2 channels of a quality 4 channel amp.

Rear:

Standard speakers running off rear channel of headunit.

Boot:

10" Sub in correctly sized spare wheel box, mine is sealed, but it could be ported if the enclosure is the correct size.. This runs off the other two "bridged" channels of the amp.

THE MOST IMPORTANT BIT IS THE SET UP!

I have the rear channels of the headunit running the rear speakers, these are also faded, so they do not interfere with the sound staging up front.

The front speakers are crossed over with high pass filters above 80 - 100hz. The removes the need for them to prodcue any real bass and means you can drive them harder.

The sub has a low pass filter set at about 100 - 120hz and lets that do all the bass work. It does not really matter that the bass comes from the rear, as you "feel" it more than hear it...

I would expect you to be able to buy decent kit for £400 - £500, a grand if you are gonig top notch.

Give me call if you want some more advice...

Cheers,

Steve.
                  The Perfectionist
                  sigpic
                  Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic View Post
                    Cheers guys.

I wont be butchering my leather doors, so are you saying go with a 4" component up front with the tweeters in the vents AND 6.5" in the rear ditching the rear tweeters?

Also, should i be looking at 10" or 12" subs and what kind of RMS power for the sub should i be looking at? Im thinking these 2000W things are a tad OTT!
                    No need to butcher anything, you can easily drill out the plastic pocket thingy on the door card. Then you mount a somesort of wood thing in those holes:

Couple of examples:

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20163
                    Sleeper S2 Avant +450

A6 Avant 2.7t Stage 3

Audi S2 Coupe RS2'ed

Comment

/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ Nice door builds....
                      The Perfectionist
                      sigpic
                      Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Dammit Steve, I love that spare-holder amp conversion
                        AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

I thank you.
                          The Perfectionist
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Audi 80 View Post

Andy,

I would echo some of the above comments and here is what I did in mine, that I think is a good solid clear set up...

Give me call if you want some more advice...
                            Cheers mate.. i will do

Comment

Right then..

Ive decided to go for 4" components up front with tweaters in the vents, with some 6.5" coax by the back seats. This will require the bracket to be modified as the stock size appears to be 5.25". These 4 speakers will be powered by a 4x 75w RMS, 150w max @ 4ohm amp in the boot.

On the bass side of things i'll go for a 10" sub, powered by a 300w RMS, 600w max @ 4ohm mono amp.

As for the headunit, i was something that will play CD's and mp3s for flexibility. Ive no preference, but have stumbled across some alpine HU's that i think would fit in.

I'll hopefully be picking up the amps this weekend:

Mono amp (Kenwood PS401M)

@ 4 ohm 300w rms 600 max
                              @ 2 ohm 600w rms 1200 max

4 channel amp (Kenwood PS501F)

@ 4 ohm 75w rms 150w max
                              @ 2 ohm 150w rms 300w max

And here are the speakers ive been looking at. Advice VERY welcome

http://www.bassjunkies.com/index.php...w=expand_image

or

would need to expand rear bracket from stock 5.25" to 6.5"

Comment

Working...
                              X