"OEM" look headunit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
    To follow up this thread with a conclusion I ended up buying a used Becker Indianapolis Pro 7952, same as the 7992 but with Navi option too and red display

I found a dutch guy who deals in old becker units so I can put people in touch with him if they are after one
    Please share a picture with he unit installed in the car.

Comment

Originally posted by jaychen View Post
      Has anyone found one that is all red but atleast has a USB port on the front?
      I've got a Sony headunit which has a nice red hue and looks fairly understated for a modern unit. It has a USB slot and was pretty cheap (about £100 from memory) Sounds good which most Sony's do. Cheap and very cheerful but most likely wont be the same sound quality as a German unit like a Becker

Comment

Becker fitted.
        The only niggle I have with it is the display - it's inverted to the OEM so it has a red illuminated background and black character display, where OEM is black background and red charcter display. I plan to change mine - you can replace the polarizing film on the LCD, but I've not psyched myself up for it yet as if it goes wrong the display is junk
        Sound quality & functionality is excellent. I'm really looking forward to getting it hooked up to an amp and some components

Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

More OCD!

(is this a step too far?)
          The Perfectionist
          sigpic
          Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

I used to have a becker. They use jvc parts for their cd players. After a year or 2 of use it started being unable to read my mp3 made dvd and had to be replaced.

Comment

The only niggle I have with it is the display - it's inverted to the OEM so it has a red illuminated background and black character display, where OEM is black background and red charcter display. I plan to change mine - you can replace the polarizing film on the LCD, but I've not psyched myself up for it yet as if it goes wrong the display is junk
              There must be men in white coats looking for you.
              Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
              Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Indigo ABY coupé
                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Not bad looking interior you have there.

Just let down by the lack of black powder coating on the chrome door handle trigger.

Comment

hehe, and the crappy 3 knob heater controls, and holes on the dash... soon to be remedied
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Fair play if you go digital. Separate how to thread for those of us with less ability ?

Mobile phone installers from the 1990s have a lot to answer for.

A right royal PITA drilling a part of the main dash, rather than a lesser offence of maybe 'just' the centre console.

On my Becker I really love the Bluetooth phone facility. And also the small adapter kit that allows the iPhone to be charged / play it's music through the Becker.

I don't get out much.

Comment

It's a JBL head unit. I heard JBL is a Harman Kardon company and the unit is also available in other Harman brands.

The illumination is BMW-like amber.. I wish it was red.

Comment

Huksa,

Hi....

Huksa, that JBL looks suspiciously like a Becker head unit, they put all sorts of labels on them depending on what car they are in, have seen them with Porsche and Ferrari marked on them.....

I have a Denon DCT-A100 waiting to go into my car to replace the Nakamichi, its just like this one, not exactly OEM but I like the simplicity of it, can't stand the more modern units with more lights than Regent's Street at Christmas !

Need to find a place to hide the Amp and also upgrade the speakers.....

I agree the Becker head units are the best OEM match but they are hard to find now and also hard to get repaired.....

Paul
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RS2junkie View Post
                            Huksa,

Hi....

Huksa, that JBL looks suspiciously like a Becker head unit, they put all sorts of labels on them depending on what car they are in, have seen them with Porsche and Ferrari marked on them.....

I have a Denon DCT-A100 waiting to go into my car to replace the Nakamichi, its just like this one, not exactly OEM but I like the simplicity of it, can't stand the more modern units with more lights than Regent's Street at Christmas !

Need to find a place to hide the Amp and also upgrade the speakers.....

I agree the Becker head units are the best OEM match but they are hard to find now and also hard to get repaired.....

Paul
                            Right.. I remember I saw the JBL unit (or a Becker) on Ferraris as well. IMO the head unit is classy and looks good on 1990s cars.

I suspect that my JBL is an OEM component for a certain Hyundai. I used to have a Hyundai Tuscani back in 2004, and the car came with the JBL sound system + the exact same head unit.

This is the picture of the JBL unit on Hyundai Tuscani. The script on it matches mine, and the amber backlighting is also same.

Comment

Yup that is a rebranded Becker Mexico Pro
                              Indigo ABY coupé
                              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

The Becker Indianapolis units made for BMW have the negative display; looks OEM and sooooooo much nicer IMHO.

On some of the older Becker units there was a function to invert the display, not on the later ones unfortunately so I'll have to modify the LCD
                                Indigo ABY coupé
                                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Working...
                                X