Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New head unit

Morning guys!

I've bought a new head unit and sub to install in my '94 ABY S2 Coupe.

-Pioneer DEH-4500BT
    -Pioneer TS-WX120A 150W

Currently I have an old Alpine head unit (not at my cehicle to give you the model); which I believe is connected to a permanent live as I can power it up with the ignition off and key removed. This setup doesn't cause my battery any problems as my car can sit for two weeks and start no bother.

However, with the new Pioneer DEH-4500BT am I going to need a switched live to prevent battery drain? I've read that some newer type head units are demanding for the battery and especially with the sub connected? I'm concerned this will act as an extra permanent load?

Also, I'd like to place the sub under the passenger seat and would like to know everyones opinion on this and where to route the cables...? I believe it's positive from the head unit, RCAx2 from the headunit and negative (fused) from the battery?
    Cheers,
    Grant

S2 Coupe ABY '94

Positive from the battery, negative somewhere to the chassis, remote (blue with white strap) from the head unit, and as you already mentioned - RCAs.

As for the head unit, they come with "banana" connections, so you adapt them to your car, sometimes a car has only single 12v lead, sometimes it has constant 12v and 12v from the ignition.

Hope I put it clearly

Comment

Find a thin red wire on the back of the ignition switch use this as the switched live, it will stay poered up till you pull the key out, then en the radio will go to sleep but keep it's memory. I have a similar Pioneer unit, my second one, they sound pretty good

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BLAMM0 View Post
        Positive from the battery, negative somewhere to the chassis, remote (blue with white strap) from the head unit, and as you already mentioned - RCAs.

As for the head unit, they come with "banana" connections, so you adapt them to your car, sometimes a car has only single 12v lead, sometimes it has constant 12v and 12v from the ignition.

Hope I put it clearly
        Thanks a lot, great help!

I'm presuming that Red(+) and Yellow(-)?

Also, running the cables to the sub from the head unit: where is the best/easiest route to go?
        Cheers,
        Grant

S2 Coupe ABY '94

Comment

They are normally labelled, but yellow is normally ignition live, and red permanent live! check the manual that came with the head unit

Black is ground or negative.

Comment

Originally posted by GrantGam View Post
            Also, I'd like to place the sub under the passenger seat and would like to know everyones opinion on this and where to route the cables...? I believe it's positive from the head unit, RCAx2 from the headunit and negative (fused) from the battery?
            Positive (fused) from battery, negative from battery (better) or chassis. Remote and RCA from HU. Positive and negative wires must be same gauges.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman80 View Post
              Positive (fused) from battery, negative from battery (better) or chassis. Remote and RCA from HU. Positive and negative wires must be same gauges.
              Can you please explain why the negative from the battery is better please? And what gauge of wire should I be using (in mm please)?
              Cheers,
              Grant

S2 Coupe ABY '94

Comment

Originally posted by GrantGam View Post
                Can you please explain why the negative from the battery is better please? And what gauge of wire should I be using (in mm please)?
                It's better, but not necessarily. All consumers desirable grounded at one point. This will avoid possible ground loops and interference. Noises may appear, but maybe not as lucky.
                And if you use chassis grounding, you must increase the cross section of regular ground wire, or make additional.

Gauge of wire must be calculated according to the table.

Длина в метрах - wire length in meters. ТОК, Ампер - current in amperes.
                Table mm to AWG:

You must know current cosumpcion and wire length, then you will know which cable you need.

I apologize in advance, English is not my native language
                sigpic

Comment

Dont route power wires and rca's next to each other, because that produces noises most of the time. I'd route the power and the "remote" wire through the passenger door side, the rcas near the gearbox tunnel.

Currently my routing looks like this: Drivers door side - power wire, gearbox tunnel - RCAs, passengers door side - speaker wires.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman80 View Post
                    It's better, but not necessarily. All consumers desirable grounded at one point. This will avoid possible ground loops and interference. Noises may appear, but maybe not as lucky.
                    And if you use chassis grounding, you must increase the cross section of regular ground wire, or make additional.

Gauge of wire must be calculated according to the table.

Длина в метрах - wire length in meters. ТОК, Ампер - current in amperes.
                    Table mm to AWG:

You must know current cosumpcion and wire length, then you will know which cable you need.

I apologize in advance, English is not my native language
                    Thanks a lot,

Luckily my sub came complete with all the wiring which has saved me a few calculations
                    Last edited by GrantGam; 5 December 2014, 21:36.
                    Cheers,
                    Grant

S2 Coupe ABY '94

Comment

Dont route power wires and rca's next to each other, because that produces noises most of the time. I'd route the power and the "remote" wire through the passenger door side, the rcas near the gearbox tunnel.

Currently my routing looks like this: Drivers door side - power wire, gearbox tunnel - RCAs, passengers door side - speaker wires.
                      Hey man,

Can I stick them under the carpet or will they be on show?
                      Cheers,
                      Grant

S2 Coupe ABY '94

Comment

Yeah, you can hide them wherever you want Just not sure about the wires coming out from somewhere under the seat without cutting the carpet :/

Comment

Yeah, you can hide them wherever you want Just not sure about the wires coming out from somewhere under the seat without cutting the carpet :/
                          Got the stereo in, working fine (although like the old one; no ignition live - just permanent). So as long as I keep remembering to power down I'll be alright?

Will need to have a hard think about the cables as I can't see somewhere that I can tuck them away from sight...
                          Cheers,
                          Grant

S2 Coupe ABY '94

Comment

New head unit

Double post
                            Last edited by newsh; 4 December 2014, 22:53.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

There's a plastic trim across the bottom of the door, if you pull this up and remove a screw under the rear bench you'll be able to tuck them under the carpet.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X