No announcement yet.

Advice on pipe from the steering rack needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you sure the pipe is really leaking and it's not PS fluid running down from higher up? I had a persistent leak on my car which took ages (years) to diagnose, there is a T in the flexible return line and the T piece was badly made, didn't matter how well it was clamped and new pipes it always kept leaking, in the end I discovered the problem, machined the T so the barbs are actually round and it no longer leaks.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
    sigpic

Comment

The leak is power steering fluid for sure I have had to top it up twice.

When looking for the leak I saw a drip on the pipe union I am trying to get off, it was very wet.

The leak is dripping from that point, the union was clean no dirt sticking to it which made me think that is were the oil flow was coming from. All the other areas have oil mixed with dirt/dust and are not as wet as the tee connection. There does appear to be some oil/dirt around the big nut on the "steering box" which is were the pipe I think is leaking is connected to. It is possible that this could be the source of the leak or just a second leak.

I had a C spanner on that big nut the weekend and it was very tight.

It may be worthwhile getting two new washers for that connection and replace them. I feel I should still get the tee piece connection loose, repaired or replace it.

I do not like oil leaks.

Do you have a picture of what you made.

Comment

This is the part that was leaking in mine, the T piece in the flexible pipe from the reservoir.
        Mine is a 3B so may be different.

It was very difficult to find the source of the leak. At one point I even changed the rack (changed for ABY rack so still a good thing)

Last edited by newsh; 10 October 2017, 14:49.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

I have just found what looks to be the right pipe on the Audi Tradition site part number 8A2612069A different number than I was advised. (Looks like 894612069B for a rhd ABY. return line to servo)

Must make sure it will suit a RHD car, I cannot find the 894612069B on the Audi Tradition site.

Comment

https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+co.../6/612-612030/ - number 13
            Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for the link.
              The 894612069B is the one I need for my ABY right hand drive. Audi tradition do not carry this or its just me as I cannot find it. My local dealer also say they cannot get me one.
              The 8A2612069A is the one used on the ABY left hand drive.

Will remove the existing one and have one made.

Comment

Anybody know what sort of pressure is in that line?

I am now thinking of cutting the flexible crimped line were it connects to the pipe then sliding a ring spanner down the pipe to get the dam thing loose. If the pressure is low enough I would then secure the flex line back onto the pipe with a clamp.

Drive the car to a brake shop and then get it crimped correctly.

Comment

I purchased a new brake spanner kit yesterday will be trying again tonight or the weekend. Hope the new brake spanner works

Comment

The pressure in the return lines is close to zero...

Comment

So a good ordinary hose pipe clamp will do the job?

Comment

Yes.

Comment

My new expensive spanner set did not work.

The only thing left is to strip the pipe system off and do the repair work off the car. Was hoping that would not have to be done, just adds about an additional week to the turbo upgrade.

Comment

Pipe off the car, the small tee piece looks ok. If you look at the connection to the steering rack it looks like the sealing washers are only on one side. I think this is the leak.

The Audi agents replaced the complete steering system some time back its possible they took the pipe off and put it back without the sealing washer.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Looks like they are both there, looks like one of the crush washers is stuck to the underside of the head of the banjo bolt.
                              Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                              Indigo ABY coupé
                              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Yeah, I can see 2 washers.
                                Maybe both copper washers were one side? Or not replaced (or annealed) ?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X