more problems Mot failure, rear subframe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more problems Mot failure, rear subframe

Coupe failed its mot on the rear subframe apparently its rusted through and , is unrepairable. I am of to look at it now ,.
    Are these available new or second hand .
    What am I up against hear with regards to replacement etc.
    Any btdt. Help would be much appreciated.

should be available used/refurb. there have been many for sale on here.

Comment

What at have you got I m breaking a couple coupes at the moment.

Comment

Its an s2 3b coupe Quattro .What are you breaking

Comment

Best to source second hand if possible, clean it up then galvanise or paint (maybe both).
          Audi Tradition make some new subframes but will cost a fortune probably.
          1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

No matter how bad your subframe is I’m sure it’s repairable once you have it out of the car. Problem is you tie up the lift while it’s being repaired. So best idea is to buy a second hand one and swap it into your car and get it back on the road and then get the rotten one repaired and you have it to sell on. I will try to post some pictures of mine before and after.
            1996 S2 ABY Coupe silver
            2003 S3 8L dolphin grey
            2014 RS4 B8 prism silver

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 2 photos.
              1996 S2 ABY Coupe silver
              2003 S3 8L dolphin grey
              2014 RS4 B8 prism silver

Comment

I had a look at mine and , one of the wings that hold the diff mount has parted company with sub
                frame. The hole area where it should be connected is missing. What's left you can put your finger through. The rest looks real bad

Comment

Speaking from recent personal experience it's pointless trying to rescue a really rotten subframe...and yours sounds even worse than mine was (tho' both front & rear failed same Mot last year!)
                  It took longer than I wished but I got (from' members of this forum) really excellent almost rustfree frames. I did however improvise with a B2 rear and a 7a front. (Hey who needs the weedy Rarb anyway-I notice no difference in handling without)
                  If it's a longterm car then you don't want a patched up frame do you!

Comment

As above, source another, check it/repair it and then have it dipped.

Comment

Originally posted by 4WDrifter View Post
                      No matter how bad your subframe is I’m sure it’s repairable once you have it out of the car. Problem is you tie up the lift while it’s being repaired. So best idea is to buy a second hand one and swap it into your car and get it back on the road and then get the rotten one repaired and you have it to sell on. I will try to post some pictures of mine before and after.
                      You might want to take a look at this:

DSCF0469.JPG
                      Attached Files

Comment

That IS bad. Probably no way back from there. Obviously I only thought mine was bad. Hope you get sorted.
                        1996 S2 ABY Coupe silver
                        2003 S3 8L dolphin grey
                        2014 RS4 B8 prism silver

Comment

Mine was gone by the diff mount at the rear but elsewhere was sound. Cost about £80 to get it cut back to decent metal and a new bit of plate welded in...shot basted it and zinc primed and painted again ad was fine. Might be worth getting it blasted to work out how bad it really is and if it can be repaired first?
                          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by s2driveruk View Post
                            Mine was gone by the diff mount at the rear but elsewhere was sound. Cost about £80 to get it cut back to decent metal and a new bit of plate welded in...shot basted it and zinc primed and painted again ad was fine. Might be worth getting it blasted to work out how bad it really is and if it can be repaired first?
                            Thanks for the advise.
                            My problem is the car is in my mates garage and I am on a time limit.
                            How much work is involved in removing repairing and replacing .
                            Also what was the cost

Comment

The job is not too bad, if the car is on a ramp, everything properly supported, you can leave everything else in situ and drop the subframe off. You might want to do wishbone bushes and diff mounts while you’re there though.
                              You need a way to support the diff and the wheels have to be off so you can move the wishbones out of the way.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X