Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing shocks from struts

Need to remove the shock cap nuts
    Is that inside-out hex spanner available to buy?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
    sigpic

There is a special tool for the job, I've never been able to find one though. A large stillson has always done the job for me

Comment

jeffstoo has the tool for this. It took me 4 years to return it to him though so may not want to loan it out again

Comment

Unless those nuts have been off recently or they're known to be unsiezed then that tool almost certainly won't work. It usually takes a big pair of stillson's(18" to 2ft) and a scaffold bar over the handle. The vice will need to be heavy duty but most importantly it needs to be attached to a heavy duty bench with a thick(preferably steel) surface to stop the vice bolts plucking out or the whole top just coming off. I'd have the workbench next to a wall too so there's less chance of it just flipping over. That's how much force can be needed for some of them. Ive done loads and the worst one had around 80 stone of fatties laying on the floor when it finally cracked off!!!

Comment

Good luck with that then fella

Comment

The unashamedly " Get your nuts off with just with your gloved hands " method...

a) While it may well be true that long undisturbed OEM strut cap / gland nuts, if installed as was done originally (without anti-corrosion measures) will not yield to the factory tool, neither will they necessarily respond well to Stillson's, brute force or fire;

b) This simple hand tools method does sacrifice the nuts themselves (they are then immediately re-purposed as adjustable thread-chasers, towards a most successful strut re-assembly), however in so doing the otherwise need for large tools, possible damage to the strut or your person is avoided; &

c) If a quick low drama method to garner empty undamaged struts is a result you might seek, the instruction for that is outlined in paras. 2 & 3 here:

https://www.s2forum.com/forum/techni...tall#post79476
            Last edited by Lago Blue; 16 April 2020, 03:09.

Comment

Originally posted by S2TORNADO View Post
              Unless those nuts have been off recently or they're known to be unsiezed then that tool almost certainly won't work. It usually takes a big pair of stillson's(18" to 2ft) and a scaffold bar over the handle. The vice will need to be heavy duty but most importantly it needs to be attached to a heavy duty bench with a thick(preferably steel) surface to stop the vice bolts plucking out or the whole top just coming off. I'd have the workbench next to a wall too so there's less chance of it just flipping over. That's how much force can be needed for some of them. Ive done loads and the worst one had around 80 stone of fatties laying on the floor when it finally cracked off!!!
              Can second this advice, have undone around 10 using this method and didn't damage one strut and all nuts were reusable too. The vice did look like it might break off the bench at one point but it fortunately held on! The stillson shouldn't squash the strut if it's setup correctly and the nuts are pretty heavy duty and bloody hard to squash I'd have thought.

Comment

VAG2069 or VAG2069A are the tools. 33mm and 28mm. Samstag Sales in the US is where I got mine. If you've got new ones, you can cut a groove down the sides of the nuts (just watch the threads) - this helps release them
                Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

Ok cool, so are new nuts available?

Is this the badger?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Yes sir.

Comment

Is this the badger?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Newsh
                        You are welcome to the use of my strut tool if you wish. It is only a home made affair but does the job. As said it may not be up to the job of removing the caps but is handy for refitting to the correct torque value. I removed mine using stilsons and they were not reusable. That's when I made the tool so I have never tried removing the caps with it. I don't know if sidrick removed his using it. If you want to borrow it pm me your address and I will send it to you.
                        Jeff

Comment

Removed one with the tool and one with stilsons. I seem to remember that the force required to undo them was akin to reversing the turn of the earth.

Isn't the purpose of the tool to replace the shock while the car is on the deck? Might work better than way than with the shock on a bench.

Comment

I have a homemade tool which is solid enough to turn the earth in the opposite direction, but wouldn't be able to post until next week... welcome to borrow it...
                            Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
                            S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
                            '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

Originally posted by newsh

Is this the badger?

I was looking for new ones a couple of weeks back when deciding whether or not to cut them off the struts on my urq. All shops stated NLA so well done if you found some. Those on eBay looked cleaned up 2nd hand and were expensive.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X