Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fitting Front & Rear Koni shock. Top mounts, Strut-Stops(Ersatz-Savers) & bump stops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The new bump stop/ bellows kits I got from eBay were not made for the 55mm struts
    Managed to get some original S2 bellows from the dealers, only 3 left in the country though..
    No bump stops available but I got something to work with the aftermarket ones by making a retaining ring out out HDPE sheet.

All back together and no clonking over bumps!
    Last edited by newsh; 18 August 2019, 10:23.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
    sigpic

Comment

Nice little solution to the problem.

Comment

newsh did you measure the length of the rear bump stop?

Please post if you did.

Nice work on the ring.

Did you fit Top mount Strut-Stops (Ersatz-Savers) They look like a good investment. Still trying to solving a boot lock issue before I can drive the car to see what they are like.

Comment

Originally posted by orsum
          newsh did you measure the length of the rear bump stop?

Please post if you did.

Nice work on the ring.

Did you fit Top mount Strut-Stops (Ersatz-Savers) They look like a good investment. Still trying to solving a boot lock issue before I can drive the car to see what they are like.
          The bump stops I used for the rear are 66mm.
          I’ve not been back into the front yet but I think I will use the same.

Yes I fitted Strut Stops same as you. I’ve always used Meyer HDs before, it will be interesting to see how we go with these.

I used hole saws to make the rings, the material cuts very easily, I was surprised, it’s incredible resilient too.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

I will take some pics of the boot lock

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Rear bump stop info.

OEM rear bump stop part number 857412131A

Length of original rear bump stop 81.28mm. I would say due to damage and age it should be 85mm long.

Front OEM bump stops are 65mm long. Measured from a new original.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by orsum; 19 August 2019, 07:35. Reason: Added info on the fronts bump stops

Comment

I took the car for its first test drive today and I am very happy with the Koni shocks and Strut Stops.

No more rattles or knocks. I think the shock setting is about right. Need a much longer ride and the wheel alignment done before I push the car to see how much better it is.

So far so good.

Comment

Excellent news, I’m enjoying driving mine too. Stock springs and Konis are a good combo for the roads.
                    Needs a proper alignment check, as I did it with 2 planks, and then I need to get it mapped!

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Once my knock sensor arrives I think the car will be finished.

Still got three small issues to look at.

The cruise control is intermittent.
                      Auto window up and down operation. Drivers window goes auto down but not up. Manual operation when holding the switch works on both ok. Not even sure if that operation is normal.
                      Microswitch on boot key switch operates but I cannot see what it is doing. More reading

Comment

Passenger window is not auto up/down, so that Solves one problem!

Comment

Passenger window is not auto up/down, so that Solves one problem!

Thanks

One down two to go.

Comment

Check the switches on the pedals for the cruise control, make sure they are fitted correctly and securely, sometimes they come loose...
                            Last edited by LHD_Kid; 4 June 2023, 21:47.
                            Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
                            S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
                            '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

I have previously checked them but that was 2 years ago. I will check them again.

I am sure I will find the fault and fix it/them.

My money is on the stalk. The car has basically been standing most of the time.

Comment

Coming along nicely Orsum.........next time I'm in Durban, I'll try and make some time to meet you and have look at your ride that you've patiently restored. The cruise control on my RS2 also acts up every now and again - and sometimes it works when fiddling with the stalk. I'm sure you'll sort it out. I haven't had the need to use CC for a while now.

Comment

Working...
                                X