Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

S2 3b Tie rods the same as other standard 80?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S2 3b Tie rods the same as other standard 80?

Looking at changing the right inner tie rod on my s2 3b I ordered one online last year and only just got time to get it fitted and get the steering sorted on the car.

Reason I'm changing it is because the wheel was out of line with steering dead straight. I changed the ball joint as that was worn.

The new arm compared to the old is alot shorter even with me adjusting to maximum adjustment.
    Seller listing stated it is compatible with most Audi 80s including s2 so now I'm all confused.

Can anyone advice if the arms are the same as standard 80s or s2 are intact different?

I'm not certain about 3b but ABY rods are identical to late 80. Have you got LHD rods? They are different.
    Nothelle S2 Avant
    Black Ur project
    Ocianic Ur project gone
    S2 Coupe project gone
    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Tractor Dave just checked the order and they are infact LHD

Any idea who supplies new tie rods in the UK

Comment

I can't see any new ones for sale in the UK right now. Audi Tradition have them but sit down first.
        Nothelle S2 Avant
        Black Ur project
        Ocianic Ur project gone
        S2 Coupe project gone
        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post
          I can't see any new ones for sale in the UK right now. Audi Tradition have them but sit down first.
          Can't be that bad surely lol

Comment

Originally posted by s2star View Post

Can't be that bad surely lol
            worse

TIE ROD 894419802A > Audi Tradition - Vorsprung durch Technik
            Nothelle S2 Avant
            Black Ur project
            Ocianic Ur project gone
            S2 Coupe project gone
            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Comment

I might be missing something but, why do you need to change the arm to correct the steering wheel position?

Depending how far out it is, you might bring it back by taking the steering wheel off and turning it on its splines. Or, you might just need a simple alignment session. The first thing they do is centre the steering wheel and correct the track rod arm adjusters to make the road wheels point the right way. If your ball joint is recently new it sounds like your adjusters are not going to be seized which is a bonus.

Comment

Febi Bilstein makes individual parts for the rods.

Comment

The differences between the early and late rear tie rods.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1676...1548443935513/
                    They can have my car when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.

Comment

If you only have bad boots you can replace them. You can also clean and add grease to old tie rods and ball joints, when you replace the boots.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1676...01427529947613

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1676...01578243265875

Greg W.
                      Last edited by 90quattrocoupe; 16 January 2021, 18:33.
                      They can have my car when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.

Comment

If you get stuck I think I have a good spare.
                        Nothelle S2 Avant
                        Black Ur project
                        Ocianic Ur project gone
                        S2 Coupe project gone
                        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Why do the tie rods need replacing? Bushes? Worn internal threads?

Normal practice would be to just replace the ball join, or the adjusters (with some lovely ones from Greg on here, with a 17mm hex as opposed to the OE 14mm).

Unless the bush is mullered at the rack end, or the internal threads stripped, there is no reason to replace the track rod, imho. Even then, it would not be hard to make a more solid bush to replace the rubber in the original rods.

Comment

Alex made me some inner bushes.

I think powerflex make them too?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bowie69 View Post
                              Why do the tie rods need replacing? Bushes? Worn internal threads?

Normal practice would be to just replace the ball join, or the adjusters (with some lovely ones from Greg on here, with a 17mm hex as opposed to the OE 14mm).

Unless the bush is mullered at the rack end, or the internal threads stripped, there is no reason to replace the track rod, imho. Even then, it would not be hard to make a more solid bush to replace the rubber in the original rods.
                              My thoughts exactly. Unless there is some other problem not shared, the OP could be chasing a solution to a problem that is elsewhere For me, a good 4 wheel alignment/moving the steering wheel on its splines if miles out would solve it.

Comment

Working...
                              X