new springs/shocks S2 coupé - options/availability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new springs/shocks S2 coupé - options/availability

brought the S2 to the workshop to get it MOT-ed. hadn't driven anything else than A8 or Xj for some years, so the harshness of the ride did not bother me at first (it has always been rather hard), but when my mechanic inspected it he said the springs look pretty bad, even to the point he doubts if it will pass MOT in the current state

so time for new springs & shocks. usage: road use, pref adjustable, ride not too harsh, somewhat lower than standard but a bit higher that what it was would not be bad as not to be constantly scared to hit the street with the exhaust. good quality, but no intention to break the bank (I'll probably will want some of the piggy bank reserved for whatever the XJ is going to throw at me )

What would be available options for the coupé? H&R? KW? other options? pros&cons?

Hi mate my current set up is standard Audi springs with koni shocks great set up, am after a refresh now as it was over 15 years ago I renewed and one of the shocks has started to leak so I will be watching this thread with interest

Comment

Originally posted by anthonys2 View Post
      Hi mate my current set up is standard Audi springs with koni shocks great set up, am after a refresh now as it was over 15 years ago I renewed and one of the shocks has started to leak so I will be watching this thread with interest
      After a fair bit of mucking around this is the set up I went with as well, there's nothing wrong with the stock springs at all, even for quite 'spirted' driving.
      1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
      1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
      1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
      1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

are those still available?

some doubts about the looks of the standard height with the Abt bodywork

Comment

I also came across BC Racing coilover for the coupe recently https://balancemotorsport.co.uk/bc-r...o-s-16-br.html and GazGolds can do kits
          Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

I bought a couple of new sets of coupe springs from Tradition a couple of years ago. So worth checking there to see if any are still available.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_S View Post
              I also came across BC Racing coilover for the coupe recently https://balancemotorsport.co.uk/bc-r...o-s-16-br.html ....
              looks good. anyone fitted these?

Comment

some bad experience with KW here:
                https://www.s2forum.com/forum/techni...w-v1?p=2117426

anyone else some recent experiences?

and how about H&R?

Comment

so, to sum-up the options I found so far:
                  • Standard springs with yellow Koni shocks € 0.7k for the shocks and € ?? for the springs
                  • KWv3 €2k (or v1 if budget starts to hurt)
                  • BC Racing BR €1k
                  • Intrax 1k2 €3k (going towards €4k with some options, €7k for the more advanced 4way or 2k2 models)
                  • most of the other usual suspects such as H&R do not have anything listed for the S2. same goes for other models of the manufacturers listed above. for example Intrax do have less expensive coilovers, but they appear not te be available, and the Koni yellow sport shocks seem to be the only ones available for the S2
                  • question: how to know if I have M12 or M14 size for the uprights? or is the only way to measure on the car?
                  for me the choice is now either lowest risk and costs and go for the standard springs with Koni shocks of accept the costs and go for the Intrax

Comment

BC Racing look interesting, presuming just library shot images though.

H&R are still available here it seems
                    6A4C0C6C-557A-497C-A681-3FD4D920C291.png
                    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

BC racing has a great idea:
                      "...don't low the spring! Just low all the coilover!..."

I'm thinking about front coupe suspen and rear one from an A4b5 avant quattro (or maybe one from a S4b5)
                      photobucket SUCKS
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post
                        After a fair bit of mucking around this is the set up I went with as well, there's nothing wrong with the stock springs at all, even for quite 'spirted' driving.
                        those yellow Koni Sport for our cars do they have the adjustable rebound?

Comment

The old type were top adjustable for rebound damping, seem to recall I had mine set a couple of turns back from the max setting on my car after a bit of experimenting and was very happy with the set up... However after reading a couple of recent threads I believe the new type can only be adjusted off the car or at least with the springs removed which seems bonkers to me.

I don't if you'd be interested but I have some custom coil-overs made using ABY legs, these come with a multitude of different weight motorsport springs that have never been used, I got them from guy who built them for a SWB project to go my now dead Coupe. However, they don't currently have dampers in them and are not TUV/type approved so could be impossible to get through an MOT on the continent so may be no use to you at all.
                          1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
                          1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
                          1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
                          1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Henkjan View Post

If am being honest I can’t honestly remember it was that long ago but I’ve never adjusted mine how you getting on with your search

Comment

Originally posted by Henkjan View Post

Unfortunately you have to push the damper rod all the way in to engage the rebound valve then rotate. So as Kit says, you have to remove the spring which is a real shame. Having said that, after setting mine up as per the thread on this subject I’ve not needed to adjust them.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X