No announcement yet.

S2 Avant Hillclimb/Track suspension settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good stuff, cheers Corey, need an alternative to the ulta expensive RS2 option. Be nice to go ulta stiff too :mischeif:
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Originally posted by Corey View Post
      Still on going. Whiteline have been very slow (even by our standards) due to them relocting the mani factory but the project is still live and will bare fruit soon.
      When did you hear this?? It seems i got a completely different response when i asked a couple months back??

Comment

You probably spoke to the sales team rather than R&D? Be good if this comes it for a reasonable price.
        Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Wayne Vickery was the person i spoke to, assumed was research. Possibley not.

That will be excellent news if it does become available!

Comment

Fintray Hillclimb...

Well, I've settled on the initial setup and I can go from here...

Tyres : Toyo 225/45x16 R888 - 34Psi Fr and 32Psi Rr
            Front track increase of 30mm - 15mm spacers each side.
            H&R springs
            Koni adjustables - 2 turns 'hard' fr and 2.5 turns 'hard' rear (IIRC). They're a strip down and rebuild setup so not conducive to trackside changes.
            RS2 Fr ARB
            Neuspeed Rr ARB set to mid position.
            Front -1.7degrees negative camber
            Rear -1.2 degrees negative camber
            Front castor - Standard - non adjustable
            Front Toe out - 10minutes

I left it too late to get an IR temp probe so I won't be able to check how much of the tyres are being used. But I'll have that for the next event.

The weight with driver and seats removed is 1547Kg with the biased changed as below

Fintray Hilllclimb is north of Aberdeen and is on 10th/11th May - so if your in that area, pop along - the 5 cylinder sound should be worth it alone! but there's also a big entry and a V10 single seater or two to listen too!

Directions : http://www.gac.org.uk/fintray.htm

I'm the only Audi there, so if you're around, give me a shout.

Cheers
            Raymond
            Attached Files
            Last edited by raymor; 10 May 2008, 04:59.
            1997 A6 (C4)Q TDi http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=291269 - Sold
            1987 CQ85RS
            1994 S2 Avant- Gone
            1991 V8 -Gone, but lives on in the TDi and CQ

Fintray Hillclimb - 33.20s
            Doune Hillclimb - 55.02s
            Forrestburn Hillclimb - 52.61

Comment

All the best Raymond!!!

Comment

How did you get on, looked a bit damp?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/arthuro...7604998145188/
                Attached Files

Comment

Fintray Hillclimb May 2008

[QUOTE=Smith_S2;314679]How did you get on, looked a bit damp?

Well.... Saturday was a fine dry day and my times improved from 35.45 in the first practice to a best timed run of 33.20. I changed the RARB setting to stiffest for the second timed run. That saw in me 8th (from 15) final placing for Saturday which I was pretty chuffed with. In front of 3 scoobies (one gutted inside) and well inside the 40second benchmark I'd set for myself.

On Sunday the track was damp for first practice and I had a big drift at Combine (where the photo's taken at) but posted a great first practice time in the damp which placed me at 5th or 6th from 17. Then it was raining on the first timed run and my only wish for the afternoon was that it would keep raining, as I was 5th or 6th on the timed run too! (I haven't got the final results yet). Unfortunately it was not to be and it dried up. I thought I could just dip inside the 32's in the dry and held onto third for just a fraction too long going up to the Hairpin and overshot by 2metres just off the track. So effectively an aborted run at 42 second.

Im wonder how much of a fraction of a second earlier I would have needed to apply the brakes to just have made it... and maybe I'd have dipped into the 32's. I'll be back up in August at Fintray so maybe I'll find out then

I learned a few things...

1)The noise limit at Fintray is 108db - which means I can convert the remaining 2 metres of 3" stainless pipe into a replaceable section that I can fit for events instead of the 2 heavy Milltek silencers currently there for road use. If I make the silencer repackable I should be able to pack it specific to event noise level. (I can test in advance with Noise Level Meter) Will need to do some exhaust temp testing to see if I can get away with an alloy unit rather than stainless. It should reduce lag, free a little more Bhp and reduce the weight by 20kg or so.

The scrutineer jokingly asked me if the engine was running while recording @ 87dB

2) Once scrubbed in the 16" toyos are spot on and give plenty of grip.

3) The Precision Clutch uprated 3B clutch won't handle tyre warming in the dry and then a quick start immediately after. Fine when there a little bit of damp to help break the traction, but 'it canny take it Captain' in the dry. I'll need to be mindful of that because as much as I can now do the clutch from start to finish in 7hrs myself while on axle stands... it's not how I like to spend my evenings + there's no budget for another clutch at the moment.

4)The suspension settings seem like a good compromise, although without being able to measure tyre temperature across each tyre I don't know how even the contact is. Wear was even and there was no scrubbing on the outside edge of the front tyres as is apparent with insufficent negative camber.

5)A fact we already know, there are very few people that know about the potential of these cars. There were loads of people wondering WTF was it? and the odd spectator snigger or two that it was an estate... but funnily enough all that stopped once the times were posted.

Here's a video of the class winner and new class record holder. This EVO is superb, completely gutted sporting a sequential shift. You'll just catch me in the paddock on the end of his run...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=00jD4asA6rU

Enjoy... cos I'd recommend hillclimbing/sprinting to anyone Relatively low wear and tear and a great bunch o' folk

I'll get my video on when I get a bit of time to cut it together.

Anyone else for Doune in June then? http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29073

Cheers
                  Raymond
                  1987 CQ85RS
                  1994 S2 Avant- Gone

Doune Hillclimb - 55.02s

Comment

SOunds like you had a good day! I'm sure that there were a few people who really didn't understand what an Audi estate was doing there If only you could have seen their faces eh!
                    Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Originally posted by raymor View Post

The scrutineer jokingly asked me if the engine was running while recording @ 87dB

Excellent i wish i was there will try my best in August, i was looking for times all day Saturday and Sunday, sounds like you did pretty well, car looks excellent in the photo!!! got any more?

any crashes??

cheers

John

Comment

[QUOTE=Smith_S2;314859any crashes??[/QUOTE]

There were a few offs and a few near misses, but nothing major... thankfully

It was a really good weekend - but I was whacked on both Saturday and yesterday evening I was asleep by about 930

John.... you could make it two Avants in August you know
                        1987 CQ85RS
                        1994 S2 Avant- Gone

Doune Hillclimb - 55.02s

Comment

Looks good to me...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2635189...7605748770133/

Had a good weekend at Doune and ok the weather was variable on Sunday... but the class I was in was comprised of all the National B licence holders entered in the UK Championship event.

This meant I was up against a few bike engined single seaters and megabusa's and the like and although I wasn't in the same class as the Ferrari's there, it made an interesting comparison...

Well, how'd it go?

It was great! The S2 is easily the heaviest car there and the startline marshall's really need their porridge when it roll's up to the start

It was dry on Saturday and it's a scary place when you go up for the first time, dry or not. Very little room for error at Doune, there was a few cars sporting permanent go-faster stripes and a sorry looking Ferrari too.

... I even managed to come 2nd in class and get myself a pot! So I can't help but be chuffed and having beat all the big Fiats and some were trying damned hard as the damage testified.

There's more to come from me as I learn the courses and know what to expect.

A best practice time of 55.02 in the dry and best timed of 55.60 in the wet... so more to come.

Still, the feeling of seeing the 55.60 on the clock and the shocked expressions in the top paddock was a memorable one!

The T45 chromoly tubing arrives for the Imp on Wednesday, so the development of the Audi as a hillclimb car stops now...bar the addition of a stronger clutch if I can get/afford one. I was red-flagged mid 1st timed run due to an 'off' from the previous competitor and the restart cooked the clutch, so it's the only thing I would change.

This weekend is Forrestburn http://www.mscc.org.uk/ and I've never driven there either, so another weekend of learning on cold tyres. Yee ha!
                          1987 CQ85RS
                          1994 S2 Avant- Gone

Doune Hillclimb - 55.02s

Comment

Were is Forrestburn Raymond?
                            93 S2 Avant Parting
                            91 URQ RR
                            02 A4 tdi Avant

Comment

Steve, it's the Shotts turn off from the M8, just by the two huge TV transmitters... quite easy to find
                              1987 CQ85RS
                              1994 S2 Avant- Gone

Doune Hillclimb - 55.02s

Comment

What time are you running on Sunday as i am off ..so will try an get up and see you in action
                                93 S2 Avant Parting
                                91 URQ RR
                                02 A4 tdi Avant

Comment

Working...
                                X