Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extended ball joints for lowered suspension?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by magarv View Post
    Have you calculated the new roll center and get them to machine a custom length extender or are you going for the "stock" 1,5" length?

Keep us posted on delivery time, price etc

I am planing to do rebuild my suspension geometry this winter myself. Tubular wishbones, extenders etc.
    I know my roll centre is very close to, but still above, ground level. I haven't worked it out exactly because it's quite tricky getting exact measurements when all the drivetrain is in place

To be honest, i'm more interested in the potential for better camber change in corners but less roll will help with that anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by stiglet View Post
      Finally got hold of the guy. He is making a batch now but it will take 3 weeks. They have to be heat treated, which I'm happy about to be honest!

I'm in a state of denial about the clearence issue. I'm hoping it's just a 1-peice strut thing....
      Any news? Received the extenders yet?
      "Ring addicted"
      8,43 BTG with trafic and roadworks:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYg50Bg2lVQ

Comment

Nope. Not heard anything, I'll contact him in the New Year. He should be finished by now!

Comment

Nope. Not heard anything, I'll contact him in the New Year. He should be finished by now!

Very interested in this Stiglet.. As i said before they worked a treat on the MK1..

Andy
          s2 new project

On going !!!

Comment

Originally posted by redz View Post
            Very interested in this Stiglet.. As i said before they worked a treat on the MK1..

Andy
            Good good, I'll keep this updated.

Comment

Have got in touch with Dave at PMW and he has some in stock. Just waiting to hear back on a couple of other bits and they'll be on the way

He is now making a bump steer kit which goes with the extenders. He's going to check to see if they will fit the Audi (they are designed for the Golf, mk 1, 2 and 3). If so then I'm getting a set of those too.

Comment

Any links

to the Golf bump steer kit?

Thanks.

Comment

Here is the homepage

There is a pic of both the extenders and bump steer kit on that page, then details in the catalogue section.

Comment

Originally posted by David in Dublin View Post
                    to the Golf bump steer kit?

Thanks.

Yeah my mate had a kit on this mk2 its a spacer that lets the track rod arm sit level
                    from what i can remember anyway
                    .. Nice work stiglet..
                    s2 new project

On going !!!

Comment

Have got in touch with Dave at PMW and he has some in stock. Just waiting to hear back on a couple of other bits and they'll be on the way

He is now making a bump steer kit which goes with the extenders. He's going to check to see if they will fit the Audi (they are designed for the Golf, mk 1, 2 and 3). If so then I'm getting a set of those too.
                      Good news!! Anyone know if balljoints "pin" dimensions and the tierod end (for bumpsteer kit) for S2 are the same as for the Coupe?? (Stiglet: You have a Coupe right?)
                      I dont have my car in my workshop at the moment so I am not able to take any measures
                      "Ring addicted"

Comment

I'd be a little dubious fitting Golf bits to an S2 based on the fact that the front axle of an ABY takes the same weight as a Golf. Worth doing some sums IMO just to be happy. Are the BJ extendeds treated in any way? I hope they're machined in such a way to minimise step changes and thus stresses?
                        Cheers'en, AndyC
                        1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_Casey View Post
                          I'd be a little dubious fitting Golf bits to an S2 based on the fact that the front axle of an ABY takes the same weight as a Golf. Worth doing some sums IMO just to be happy. Are the BJ extendeds treated in any way? I hope they're machined in such a way to minimise step changes and thus stresses?
                          I agree on the Golf vs S2 thoughts and you can do some sums on this with measuring the lateral G-forces with ie an Performance box or G-tech, then calculate the torque arms and forces. Maybe run some simple fatigue analysis in Ansys or similar...

But I still think it would be difficult to get any accurate numbers without spending "months" with work.. The extenders still have to fit the original ball joint "pin". And if the S2 has 19mm it is obvious that the extenders also have to be same dimension regardless of what the Golf has.
                          There will be more moment/tourqe and higher forces in the extender, but if you keep to the "stock" 1,5" length as PMW deliver I dont think it will be any problem since the extenders are made in high strength 4140/4142 steel and heat treated to a tensile strength of 150,000 PSI. And as I can see of the pictures on their website the design has a nice large radius to minimise the step change.
                          The same is the matter for the tierodend for bump steer. The extender have to be big enough to fit the hole in the "steering arm" on the mac pearson leg. (upright?) And I guess this also is in high strength steel and have a robust design.
                          Last edited by magarv; 5 January 2009, 15:26.
                          "Ring addicted"

Comment

I can confirm they are heat treated and have been used on the Audis before. A few people on Motorgeeks are using them. Also, the ball joint pin is 19mm so should fit snug

I reckon in terms of strength both kits will be fine. If I get this fitted problem free in time for Feb I can test this at Snett so I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm a little Dubious about the bumpsteer kit as to whether it will fit and work, and if the geometry is even remotely close to that of the Golf. The kit might even make things worse! If it doesn't fit it's not the end of the world.

Will update as and when anyway...

Comment

Thanks Stiglet,

Here is the homepage

There is a pic of both the extenders and bump steer kit on that page, then details in the catalogue section.
                              Can't quite appreciate the bump steer kit, but that just me.

Adopting a wait and see stance, and following your updates. Like the look of his castor "plates" for the top of the strut, pity his photos can't be blown up to "inspect" same in greater detail.

Thanks again and kind regards.

Comment

Received these today, but I won't be fitting them until after my trackday on the 8th Feb as I have JUST had my alignment done. I know fitting these is gonna mess up everything and it will all need adjusting again.

In the mean time, I beleive I have found a solution to the brake disc fouling problem, so will give it a go and update.

Also, I undertsand how the bumpsteer kit works now and I'm sure It won't work for the Audi. Cost peanuts compared to the extenders though so not too bothered.

Comment

Working...
                                X