Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extended ball joints for lowered suspension?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, it could be. However, i'm sure it'll be ok because it's extending along the right axis. So it stays in the right line. That's probably why it's angled in the first place. Extending it downwards and towards the tyre contact patch (hence nearer the brake disc ) is correct, but extending straight vertically down would change the axis. I'm confident that keeping the angle towards the disc will keep the original axis.

Still trying to fit these so will find out soon enough anyway

Comment

Yea thats my point hehehe.
      My idea is to hell but your extenders should work

But as they say back to the drawing board

Comment

I know it's proving to be a bit of a challenge. My disc spacer idea won't work which is what has delayed everything.

I'm thinking i'll just take the "fit it and see" approach instead of overthinking the whole idea!

Comment

Tried fitting these and got everything back together tonight only to find the driver's side is scraping

I'm sure it's the balljoint on the disc, but I was late for work so had to hurry everything back together. Had some big problems trying to get the new balljoints in place as the extenders put them at full travel when the suspension is off the ground. Not happy with the whole setup and will have to trace the interference on the brake disc.

Interestingly, I noticed the newer ball joints are bigger than the old ones, so I have even less clearance than I thought

Comment

Doh!!!
            i have come to some conclusions also. Talkes to a couple of chassi people and the easiest way to solve the suspension issues seems to be to move suspension tower about 100mm towards the back and 20mm inwards to get some camber and caster. Then to just not lower it so bad :/

Comment

Tell you what, if you moved the strut tower back that much you'd never need a strut brace again!
              Martin Cutting

aka Keeper of "The Teutonic Kitten"

It's not better than sex, but it runs it a close second.

Comment

Ahhh correction then move strut back 100mm.Ahh you mean the little piece of that hard metall typ thingy?
                Yea i admit that is a small snagg
                Last edited by meep; 17 March 2009, 02:14.

Comment

Finished after work at 4am this morning. Scrapes on right cornering, but not left. Infact left is absolutely fine even under hard cornering. Why the hell are balljoints different sizes

Meep, if you moved the strut top inboard it would effectively amount to the same thing. Not sure if it would be easier though?

Comment

Well i had a little plan involving 034 universal top mounts. As pointed out eralier i just have to move the top of the strut right? Im poundering now how much cutting would be needed seeing as i have 2.25" springs on my coilovers. If im lucky i might get away with just cutting the top off. Maybee not though i dont know.

The extenders would be fail for me i think but ill check. How much clearence did you have between disk and stock balljoint?

I run rather big floating discs so im unsure about how it actually sits

Comment

lol i am so tired today!! should grind a bit off the right perhaps??, i may have a look at possible brake upgrades to move the disc out.......i warn you this may get expensive lol

Ant
                      Last edited by anton; 17 March 2009, 18:09.
                      91' Coupe quattro 20v - project
                      KW V2s and other goodies
                      now gone
                      03' BMW 330CI - Sold
                      08' A5 Coupe 3.0l tdi quattro - Sold
                      57' BMW 525d M Sport Touring

Comment

Originally posted by meep View Post
                        Well i had a little plan involving 034 universal top mounts. As pointed out eralier i just have to move the top of the strut right? Im poundering now how much cutting would be needed seeing as i have 2.25" springs on my coilovers. If im lucky i might get away with just cutting the top off. Maybee not though i dont know.

The extenders would be fail for me i think but ill check. How much clearence did you have between disk and stock balljoint?

I run rather big floating discs so im unsure about how it actually sits
                        i had a look at my strut towers last night while down the garage and i dont think you could move the top mount back by more than 20-40mm before you need to start cutting up the firewall and moving the interior ventilation system and fuse box, 100mm you would defo have to move MANY things and it will be a very big job! also not sure moving the top mounts in towards each other would make anywhere near as much difference as the extenders to the roll center. all depends on how much your lowered by, the lower ou are the smaller the impact of moving the towers together IMHO, need to draw it all up to be sure tho....

Ant
                        91' Coupe quattro 20v - project
                        KW V2s and other goodies
                        now gone
                        03' BMW 330CI - Sold
                        08' A5 Coupe 3.0l tdi quattro - Sold
                        57' BMW 525d M Sport Touring

Comment

Basically clearence is millimeters! If you've got big brakes I couldn't tell you if it would work.

Moving the strut top inboard will work, couple of points though;

Firstly, to get the same effect I reckon you'll have to move the strut top inboard about 3 inches.

Secondly, you will get more camber gain but you will not raise the roll centre (same as you would if you lower the balljoint) so you won't get the double benefit of decreasing the body roll.

Could work well if you buy the 2Bennett camber plates or something.

Comment

So the verdict is that on paper these are great but in reality you'll just have to put up with some inbuilt negativity

I'm still thinking offset subframe bushes time for mine
                            Cheers'en, AndyC
                            1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Well, one side works

Not giving up yet. So close...

Comment

Got any pictures of how the wheels sit now with these fitted?

Comment

Working...
                                X