Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extended ball joints for lowered suspension?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have milled down the balljoint a little. It seems to have helped but it's still close.

Like I said I don't like it though! I cut a balljoint in half just to see how much material I had to play with, and they are massively over-engineered, but still it's not a nice risk to take. It seems ok though, and it's coped ok so far.

Comment

Cost is 170 dollars I think, the link is in this thread somewhere...

Comment

170$

One thing i've learned we are way behind the Scandinavians!

Comment

Umm, the catalogue says "$265.00 (pair)". A bit on the expensive side, but I still am going to get a pair of those for my 90q. The effect I have imagined is just what you have described. The brake clearance may be a problem, as I have the 323 A8 discs fitted, but well see..

Comment

I purchased these AGES ago when the pound was close to 2 dollars, so price wasn't so bad! Now, I agree it's a little much.

Clearance will deffo be a problem for you i suspect

Apparently there is a way around this by using A5 discs with different custom carriers, but haven't looked into it as mine are working fine with the stock brakes

If you can get it to work, it's worth the hassle.

Comment

Yes, I have custom aluminium carriers already, as I'm running the seat brembos. I have S4 2,7 biturbo front discs in storage, they have smaller offset so that might work. The newer a4/a5 discs are somewhat lighter and also have smaller offset, so those have to be considered also.

Comment

i did a bit of research into this and found that the a8 discs sit about 6mm closer to the balljoint so think its a definate no go with a8s as stigles said i think the a5s would be the way to go, needs to be about 5mm less offset than stock to clear no problem.

Ant
                91' Coupe quattro 20v - project
                KW V2s and other goodies
                now gone
                03' BMW 330CI - Sold
                08' A5 Coupe 3.0l tdi quattro - Sold
                57' BMW 525d M Sport Touring

Comment

Ok. According to Brembo catalogue, the 2.7bit discs have 13mm less offset than the A8's. So they should be good for this purpose. The '02 -> A4 312mm disc has the same offset (46.2mm) as the biturbo disc, so as I modify my carriers I can use those also.
                  Last edited by Mr.Crossfire; 14 July 2009, 21:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Crossfire View Post
                    Yes, I have custom aluminium carriers already, as I'm running the seat brembos. I have S4 2,7 biturbo front discs in storage, they have smaller offset so that might work. The newer a4/a5 discs are somewhat lighter and also have smaller offset, so those have to be considered also.
                    b8 a4/a5?
                    BEAST '90 CQ 24v VRT / O1E / v8 rear, HOLSET SUPER 40 http://www.theprojectpad.com/viewtop...1&t=193#p37887
                    DD '86 4kq BLAZE, swapping aba/16vT and O1E http://www.theprojectpad.com/viewtop...1&t=201#p38264

Comment

Working...
                    X