This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andy_Casey View Post
    I did a thread a while ago, front springs on the rear (coupe), for a coupe. I measured the coupe AC front and rear springs and the rears measured about 5% stiffer based on the helix. The rear springs are also shorter, not sure what effect the length of the spring has on the spring rate.

RS2s all have the AC spec front springs.
    Not that simple i'm afraid, assuming same material is normally okay i think but often different heat treatments are used so cant assume the materials side, also you need to know the angle of the coils, also if your springs are anything like the springs on the cq then the angle changes as does the diameter from a basic test i think the cq springs are softer on the rear simply as i can compress the rears a small amount but not the fronts, however manufacturers can also vary the heat treatment throughout the spring essentially making it progressive, would surprise me if audi did this as the rear weight will constantly be changing.....
    why do they have to make it so complicated!!!! lol

Ant
    91' Coupe quattro 20v - project
    KW V2s and other goodies
    now gone
    03' BMW 330CI - Sold
    08' A5 Coupe 3.0l tdi quattro - Sold
    57' BMW 525d M Sport Touring

Comment

Hello friends, I have a question. Now under my RS2 I have the original shock absorbers and springs, I want mount a complete set of KW V3 but I don't know how many cm the car go down with this kit, because my problem is that if the car go too down and I can't make it higher with the V3 that is completely adjustable, I can't leave my garage with the car, now with the original shock absorbers and springs I have to leave my garage diagonally or I leave the exhaust system Thanks!

Alessio
      My life and my loves

Audi-Porsche Avant RS2
      Audi S6 C4 ABT Avant
      Audi S2 Coupe ABY
      Audi S2 Avant
      Audi Cabriolet 2.0E

Comment

minimal drop with the KW is 30mm so you will have a problem.

Comment

Do you mean that the space between the floor and the car with the KW V3 is of 30 mm? With the V3 I can't adjust the car higher when I need for example for leave my garage? I can adjust only the compression and the extension of the shock absorbers?
          My life and my loves

Audi-Porsche Avant RS2
          Audi S6 C4 ABT Avant
          Audi S2 Coupe ABY
          Audi S2 Avant
          Audi Cabriolet 2.0E

Comment

i mean that the car will drop 30mm from what it is from the original shocks/springs, meaning from what it is like you have it now.

there is no coilover conversion that you can find out there that can get you the car to sit AT LEAST as it is with the original suspension. All of them drop the car from 20mm to 30mm. (dropping means that if your car now sits 300mm from the ground, with the new suspension it will sit lower than that,and for example a 30mm drop means the car will sit 270mm lower etc).

The only way to do what you want is actually build custom made coilovers that will allow that movement from OEM, higher than OEM if you like and obviously lower than OEM. BUT on an adjustable configuration it is not an easy task to do the adjustments all the time. It requires to take the wheels off to do it.

Will you be doing that everytime you take the car out of the garage???

Unfortunatelly noone has ever made a kit to electronically adjust height for the RS2,yet...

Comment

Hello, I want use my RS2 for normal daily use and also for some trackdays ecc, so I need two configuration, I don't need to do the adjust every day. Can I mount adjustable shock absorbers with the original RS2 springs? Thanks a lot! Bye
              My life and my loves

Audi-Porsche Avant RS2
              Audi S6 C4 ABT Avant
              Audi S2 Coupe ABY
              Audi S2 Avant
              Audi Cabriolet 2.0E

Comment

WITH Aircon - 895 411 105A - this is stiffest factory front spring for S2/RS2

What mean this?

Thanks a lot! Bye

Alessio
                My life and my loves

Audi-Porsche Avant RS2
                Audi S6 C4 ABT Avant
                Audi S2 Coupe ABY
                Audi S2 Avant
                Audi Cabriolet 2.0E

Comment

I bought my car with loweres suspension, hated the ride. Bought another donor car with slightly higher suspension, hated it.Am now fitting oem rs2 springs and konis.

I think that lowering these cars is a bad idea, and has cost me exhaust damage and windscreen damage. I drive the car quite hard when I am in the mood, and lowering suspension has been my cars nemesis.If you get to the point when you are driving it and you start getting air, there is just not enough rebound to stop it clattering when you get back to earth. That is my humble experience, and I cant wait to get it back to normal height.
                  My avant is the most fun and bang for buck car I have ever owned, and I have embarrased some top motors, favourite being an r8 on a 25 mile run.
                  I looked at the hr and kw etc, all I found did not get me back to normal ride height, if I had found one that did in my time frame, I would have bought them. I am off to the ring at the end of june, and the thought of taking it lowered gave me the horrors!

Tickled me when I found gold plated springs!!!

Comment

Hello, lowering S2 ABY and RS2 is really a problem for exhaust system, I don't know 3B because I don't have it, but I think that is the same. For take out of the garage my RS2 I built 4 boards that I put under each tires and soon I will do the same with S2 Coupe ABY with H&R + Koni, but I'm very happy with H&R + Koni setup on the RS2.

Alessio
                    My life and my loves

Audi-Porsche Avant RS2
                    Audi S6 C4 ABT Avant
                    Audi S2 Coupe ABY
                    Audi S2 Avant
                    Audi Cabriolet 2.0E

Comment

About to replace my original shocks with bilsteins all round.

RS2 that has done 120k. Should I replace the original springs with new stock items at the same time, or should the original springs still be OK? Any advice much appreciated.
                      Racing's important to men who do it well. When your racing its life. Anything that comes before or after is just waiting.

Comment

More numbers

Interesting numbers. Bought myself a used FK Automotive coiloverkit from a crashed RS2, with the following numbers:

Frontspring: 80N/mm (with a pretenstionspring at 10N/mm)
                        Rearspring progressive: 62N/mm (info not found at FK, but at a US forum where it had been tested/measured)

With one blown front shock and no replacement at FK only the rear ones have been fitted. Still have not thoroughly measured up another replacement for the front ones, but indications show that the Koni 8610-1262 could perhaps be used. So a bit offtopic anyone with one of those laying around I´d be more than happy with all of the dimensions on it

Anyway the rear setup replaced some Konis (set at one step from hardest) with H&R springs and I do feel like the car is somewhat softer at the rear now. That feeling looks like it could be backed up by the numbers. Not a massive increase in stiffness and with non-adjustable FK dampers compared to the adjustable Konis (and perhaps stiffer H&R springs). Hmm softer rear = even more understeer

Big fat rear ARB here I come...
                        /Mike
                        ---------------------------------------
                        S2 RS Avant@355hp "For sale"
                        A4 Avant TDIq@170hp
                        Datsun 240Z@550hp
                        BMW M3 race car@321hp
                        Garage

Comment

Can someone add the various spring colours for the urS4 and the urS6 ?

Thanks.

Comment

Funnily just had ETKA open for paint codes on urQ and 90Q20v springs so I'll take a look here

Comment

I just spent 20mins copying stuff of ETKA and it dodnt post, I'll do it again in the morning if I remember but I'm scundered

Comment

Quick question I said I would ask in this thread,
                                Are 80 saloon and avant the same suspension set up at the rear?
                                Only reason im asking is that im pricing rear shocks and there is over 20 euro in the difference?
                                Maybe the avant has stiffer shocks for the added weight it will be expeted to carry in the boot?

Comment

Working...
                                X