No announcement yet.

Steering weight and feel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In my opinion, a car that is designed with PAS should have PAS. I'm certain more castor will solve the feel issue, though Anton is the guinea pig on this one

Comment

I would like to try reduced PAS assistance if some hydraulic pump expert can offer up advice... I know a fella thats an ex truck mechanic - he'd likely had a few beastly pumps fully stripped and rebuilt in his day.

As to castor - I do agree its worth playing with - but how is this achieved - with some funky adjustable top mount bracketry that can alter the castor geometry ?
      Paul Nugent
      Webmaster http://S2central.net
      Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
      2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
      2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

That or the funky subframe mounts would be easier I reckon. I think Anton is planning to try some out...

Comment

You'll need PAS on an S2? 1 ton on the front axle and 225+ tyres will make it impossible to use.

Don't forget that a smaller steering wheel reduces leverage. My 350mm Momo makes the steering heavier for sure.
          Cheers'en, AndyC
          1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Let me say this again - I wonder if REDUCED PAS pressure will make steering a bit more weighty and pleasurable. Not wanting to try zero PAS pressure.

I think its nominally 140bar pressure out of the hydraulic pump... wonder how feasible it is to get something like 100bar with different valves or whatever...
            Paul Nugent

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

think i read somewhere that sticking a larger pulley on the pump actually causes safety issues so a valve or restrictor change might be the best option. As i have said before elsewhere, Pirtek will be able to advise on this stuff as they do not alot else other than hydraulics and remake the pipework. I had all the lines on my steering remade by them with change out of £140. I'm sure one of the lines off the pump has the restrictor in it so take advice on what to change it to to reduce assistance....
              sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Now we are getting somewhere - thanks David...
                Paul Nugent

Comment

Audi S2 ABY: Have you checked your top mounts? Mine had stuck bearing, made the steering heavier but unpleasant. More castor would be nice. Poly bushes in the front subframe should make some difference also.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Crossfire View Post
                    Audi S2 ABY: Have you checked your top mounts? Mine had stuck bearing, made the steering heavier but unpleasant. More castor would be nice. Poly bushes in the front subframe should make some difference also.
                    i dont think this is the issue we are talking about as this is a problem on all our cars.
                    David, are you saying you have a restrictor on your car atm? did you notice more feel?
                    As for the caster issue, as Stiglet says i'm going for the offset subframe bushes, then in time i'll get the 2bennett adjustable top mounts, but at £300 a pair i'm going to hold off for while.

Ant
                    91' Coupe quattro 20v - project
                    KW V2s and other goodies
                    now gone
                    03' BMW 330CI - Sold
                    08' A5 Coupe 3.0l tdi quattro - Sold
                    57' BMW 525d M Sport Touring

Comment

Offset subframe bushes - thats an interesting idea too... Who is making those and what level of adjustment is in them ?

Struggling to think how you adjust them actually - is there some means of rotating them in situ whilst sitting on a wheel alignment jig ?
                      Paul Nugent

Comment

Amongst others, I was looking into offset bushes. An offset of 10mm should see approx. 1deg more castor.
                        Cheers'en, AndyC
                        1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
                          Offset subframe bushes - thats an interesting idea too... Who is making those and what level of adjustment is in them ?

Struggling to think how you adjust them actually - is there some means of rotating them in situ whilst sitting on a wheel alignment jig ?
                          basicall yes, thats it, it has two holes offset, rather than 1, and they are offset by different ammounts.....actually hang on.....

pictures worth a thousand words and all that.....
                          only issues are the gearbox mounts moving so apparently the maximum offset "will require more modification" lol but i'm changing to an 01E box at the same time and removing the spacer so hopefully they will cancel out, otherwise its just the issue of the wheel moving forward in the arch. apparently one of the setting (not sure which, prob the higher offset) will get aprox 2.5 deg caster

also link would help......034Motorsport - offset subframe bushes

sorry for the Hijack, it is half relevent tho

Ant
                          KW V2s and other goodies
                          now gone
                          03' BMW 330CI - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by anton View Post
                            i dont think this is the issue we are talking about as this is a problem on all our cars.
                            David, are you saying you have a restrictor on your car atm? did you notice more feel?
                            As for the caster issue, as Stiglet says i'm going for the offset subframe bushes, then in time i'll get the 2bennett adjustable top mounts, but at £300 a pair i'm going to hold off for while.

Ant
                            Yes, you have one from stock on the power steering, its on one of the lines from the pump to the rack. Although they are sleeved you can feel it half way along the pipe....see if i can find a picture somewher, might even be in my old project thread somewhere, cant remember
                            sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by s2driveruk View Post
                              Yes, you have one from stock on the power steering, its on one of the lines from the pump to the rack. Although they are sleeved you can feel it half way along the pipe....see if i can find a picture somewher, might even be in my old project thread somewhere, cant remember
                              oh right, thats interesting to know....i was thinking about replacing mine with normal braided lines
                              how mard would it be for someone to fit an adjustable restricor to the lines? if a reduced pressure helps, its even more reason for me to convert to an MR2 pump, as i understand it then run at a slightly lower preassure.

i think someone needs to volunteer to be the guinee pig for the preassure research

Ant
                              KW V2s and other goodies
                              now gone
                              03' BMW 330CI - Sold

Comment

useful read....

http://www.gates.com/common/download...n/428-7172.pdf
                                sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Working...
                                X