Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shock..ing

hi there,
    i currently have the koni / H+r lowered setup - my shocks however need replacing - has anyone here changed the koni shocks for the bilsteins...what was the difference please. Otherwise whats the best setup for the S2..should i stick with new konis.
    thanks
    imster

Originally posted by imster
    hi there,
    i currently have the koni / H+r lowered setup - my shocks however need replacing - has anyone here changed the koni shocks for the bilsteins...what was the difference please. Otherwise whats the best setup for the S2..should i stick with new konis.
    thanks
    imster
    im going for rs2 shocks with H&R's, but ive got an avant so i dunno if the RS2 ones will fit yer coupe.
    Tim

1995 S2 Avant, ruby red - ** SOLD TO ROSS **
    Golf Rallye G60 ** SOLD **
    Golf MK2 Oaky with R32 engine
    Audi A6 Avant 1.9 TDi 130
    Golf MK2 8v Race car

Comment

With Bilsteins I think you may have to go back to stock springs, the Billies have a built in air spring assist which would prob make them too hard with H&Rs, dont know for sure but thats the way it is with my ur, stock springs and billies and its really stiff.

If you go for more Konis get the top adjustables, I wish I had Then I could wind them off for driving round here and harder when I need it. I've got the normal Koni Sports on the S2. Taking the car apart to adjust the shocks is a pain.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
      sigpic

Comment

I've got Bilsteins with Nothelle springs and she's fine
        Mark

Race Clio RS197

S2 Coupe ABY (Green) - RIP
        S2 Coupe ABY (Blue) - Sold

Comment

I didnt think Koni did top adjustables for the S2? Tried to get hold of them for mine and couldnt find them. The RS2 rear shocks are different to the coupe I think, or was that the springs :s
          Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

I believe there is a H&R cupkitt which has H&R springs and bilstein absorders.
            Getting everything sorted out for my 5++ hp project

Comment

Bilsteins are way stiffer than konis are. Also they push the car few millimeters up so it won't be as low as with konis.

With h&r use the P36-3058 rear shock = sprint type shortened one.

I have the cup kit with bilsteins and my pal has the same springs with konis so comparsion has been easy. Both cars have new shocks.
              -

Comment

which is better day to day? and handling wise?
                Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Originally posted by porkkis
                  Bilsteins are way stiffer than konis are. Also they push the car few millimeters up so it won't be as low as with konis.

With h&r use the P36-3058 rear shock = sprint type shortened one.

I have the cup kit with bilsteins and my pal has the same springs with konis so comparsion has been easy. Both cars have new shocks.

I've seen this quoted before, why can't you use P36-3017 on the rear with the HR?

Certainly there's a few people in the U.K running this setup without any problems.

S2driveruk being one.

Interested before i order my Bilsteins which will be used with Koni 25mm drop so i want to get the right rear shock.

Comment

Definitive answers would be nice cos im lost as to what im gonna order!
                    Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
                    2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Koni is a bit better in daily drivers comfort wise. Hard to tell performance wise.

Also the 1cm less ground clearance with konis need a bit more attention.

3017 or what ever they quote the B6 sport is std length and the spring will have no "pre load" and that's something our MOT inspectors dislike. Probably yours too.

I mean when rear axle is lifted up the spings may be a bit loose.

B6 with koni springs is probably ok.
                      -

Comment

while we are on the subject of part numbers and suspension questions, can someone confirm that the pn for the H&R springs on the Avant is 29909?
                        Tim

Golf MK2 8v Race car

Comment

Koni is a bit better in daily drivers comfort wise. Hard to tell performance wise.

Also the 1cm less ground clearance with konis need a bit more attention.

3017 or what ever they quote the B6 sport is std length and the spring will have no "pre load" and that's something our MOT inspectors dislike. Probably yours too.

I mean when rear axle is lifted up the spings may be a bit loose.

B6 with koni springs is probably ok.
                          Ah i understand where your coming from now! Thanks.

Comment

Confirmed.

29969 for RS2. This was a bit odd to have different springs to S2 avant and RS2. The subject has been discussed IIRC. RS2 is almost double price.
                            -

Comment

Confirmed.

29969 for RS2. This was a bit odd to have different springs to S2 avant and RS2. The subject has been discussed IIRC. RS2 is almost double price.

thanks porkkis. yes i have noticed that the price jumps for the RS2 version, not sure why though.
                              Tim

Golf MK2 8v Race car

Comment

Working...
                              X