Rear Torsen - worthwhile mod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Torsen - worthwhile mod?

As the title states - is it a wortwile performance mod? As I'm about to buy a diff I kind of want your opinion here. Sure, in everyday normal traffic you don't notice it. But once I start pushing it, I loose traction. A Torsen will never outperform a clutch type diff but a Torsen must be the best bang for the buck when it comes to diffs.

Are there any downsides to this mod? If so, which? I do not under any circumstances render the car unsuable or unsafe to drive - but how could it be, I mean, the V8's have the same setup as I will have.

Please tell me I'm doing something good here 'cause I ordered a Torsen for the rear and I've suddenly got cold feet here.

i cant se the negative about this.i have to do this,to change to torsen in the rear,AND change to 3,889 tooo!!!!!!

Comment

And what about winter ? And snowy cold roads ? Will it perform well ?
      Vadim.

New engine (mechanical PKM head) , Alcon 332mm brakes , Pauter rods , Mahle pistons, GT30R , kw v2 sucpension , new exhaust. 608HP. For SALE !

Comment

Someone here has done this, Jeffer?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
        sigpic

Comment

It is woth it. I hve no experience with snow conditions.
          On wet days and on track traction is seriously improved
          RS2 Black - stock 315 HP
          RS2 RS blau - stock 315 HP
          Sport Quattro - 1005 HP
          High Octane website

Comment

On track, did you run slicks? What about suspension? Are you one of those guys running a 26mm rear bar? Do you drive on track days or is it just on dragstrips? I'm trying to get the full picture here...

Comment

On track days. Stock RARB, pirelli P-zero's, lowered H&R's with koni's
              I think if your just cruising about in your S2 then you are not noticing that there is a rear Torsen on your car. When driving seriously in wet and on tracks, then you'll know very soon.

Cheers
              RS2 Black - stock 315 HP
              RS2 RS blau - stock 315 HP
              Sport Quattro - 1005 HP
              High Octane website

Comment

So driving on ice and snow it should perform even better then? I mean, no matter how stiff bars you run, ain't no way you'll ever lift the inner wheel...

Comment

What, mechanically, is this doing that the S2 can't do currently? How will this feel to the driver?
                  Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

My understanding of it is that as standard when the S2 loses grip at the back on one wheel, that wheel receives more power as its easier for it to use that power, hence spinning more, where as with this mod, when this happens it applies more power to the wheel with most traction, ie the non slipping wheel, so you get more drive
                    Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
                    2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

I've got a torsen rear diff fitted and it makes a significant difference to the way the car handles when 'pressing on'.

Instead of initial understeer on initial turn in progressing to neutral balance as on a standard setup - the Torsen diff gives you a neutral balance on initial turn-in, progressing to slight oversteer, an attitude that you can then adjust with your right foot - should it please you!

A really good upgrade - should be good when the snow arrives too!
                      1997 A6 (C4)Q TDi http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=291269 - Sold
                      1987 CQ85RS
                      1994 S2 Avant- Gone
                      1991 V8 -Gone, but lives on in the TDi and CQ

Fintray Hillclimb - 33.20s
                      Doune Hillclimb - 55.02s
                      Forrestburn Hillclimb - 52.61

Comment

henka@ get on with the torsen,the winter are around fast!!!

Comment

At this rate, I'm going to have to ask Santa for some snow...

EDIT: RAAAAAAHHHH! Damn, I just realized that the S4 rear axle housing I just almost paid for won't work with a V8 diff. It will work with a Porsche 968 clutch-ramp-diff - but I can't seem to find one.... Damn. Double damn. Oh well, then I'll just go for the Torsen diff inside my stock housing. Anyone know what the backlash should be set at?
                          Last edited by Henka; 7 November 2005, 21:54.

Comment

Originally posted by raymor
                            I've got a torsen rear diff fitted and it makes a significant difference to the way the car handles when 'pressing on'.

Instead of initial understeer on initial turn in progressing to neutral balance as on a standard setup - the Torsen diff gives you a neutral balance on initial turn-in, progressing to slight oversteer, an attitude that you can then adjust with your right foot - should it please you!

A really good upgrade - should be good when the snow arrives too!
                            thanks for the info ..i want one too.
                            RS for ‘Rennsport’ - ‘Motorsport’ in German

Comment

Originally posted by caterpillar
                              .....,AND change to 3,889 tooo!!!!!!
                              Why? for performance 4.11 is better then 3.89........

Comment

Working...
                              X