No announcement yet.

Weird knocking noise front left side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve had poly bushes wear the steel out, and vice versa, if they’re not kept greased

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
    sigpic

Comment

Don't powerflex have a metal ring as well?

Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by A80Avant View Post
        Don't powerflex have a metal ring as well?

Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk

They have a plain or grooved stainless steel centre and nylon washers
        91 Modded 3B
        14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

if it's that then hopefully fitting new powered which I have ordered may do the trick

Comment

If there is any slack on the wishbone bushes, e.g. no washers either side of the bushes then they will knock, especially at slow speed. My powerflex ones were incredibly snug and no longer make that noise.
            sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

new powered bushes fitted, car feels more solid but noise remains unchanged...

I'm wondering now if this could be the shock absorber itself. I was going to replace the shocks anyway to Koni, so things will come off and hopefully the culprit will be found....

The strangest things happen to my car. 2 different garages so far and we haven't managed to establish the problem.

I have also ordered new anti roll bar bushes but most definitely this is not coming from there.

Comment

If it's related to damping over bumpy roads it could be the damper or the top mount bush. When I had something similar, it was rose joint in the top mount moving in the mount.
                91 Modded 3B
                14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

hmmm, we have ordered the koni shocks all around to try as the bilsteins seem a bit too harsh for Greek roads so this will show once everything comes off...

Comment

Can sometimes be the shock moving inside the strut, very difficult to diagnose. A few people on here have had this.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                    sigpic

Comment

Irregular but irrepressible rattle...

Perhaps Newsh has nailed it. Before I was able to keep water from staying in my Bilsteins (without which they are almost cloud-like easy to compress by hand BTW), the resulting strut rigidity and hammering from poor roads loosened the perhaps not well torqued/Loctited gland-nut, allowing the damper's bottom end to both lift out of its' slight recess in the strut base; and rock sideways rattling randomly against the strut ID. You might get a sense of it (before the inevitable taking it apart) by lifting just that wheel off the ground and heaving on the tire top.

Hth.

Comment

Did you find the culprint for the noise?

My car has been knocking (almost banging) when I reverse it out of the garage. Knocks feel throw the pedals at low speeds. Car is and has been quite low. The problem occured after long perioid of parking without an engine. I renew the front joints but did not make any difference.

Wheel or gearbox bearings might cause this type of misbehavior but I would like to find the cause...mayby should try to raise the car few(4-5) centimeters.

S2 Avant SleeperWagon 570hv and 765nm on 2,2bar/E85

Comment

Vauht,

It may be your transmission mount(s) is/are torn internally and whose location is close to your feet, easy to check visually after removal of their big lower washer. If yes, you may want to use All-road mounts here.

Comment

A misaligned exhaust? Would be knocking right where you mention.

Comment

Originally posted by Lago Blue
                              Vauht,

It may be your transmission mount(s) is/are torn internally and whose location is close to your feet, easy to check visually after removal of their big lower washer. If yes, you may want to use All-road mounts here.
                              I am afraid not. All mounts in the car are relatively new and the feel and sound is like the wheels would be hexaconal at low speeds. Exhaust is not the case either.

S2 Avant SleeperWagon 570hv and 765nm on 2,2bar/E85

Comment

I'm having very similar issues right now so watching with interest as I've changed almost all the same stuff and noise still there

Comment

Working...
                                X