Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch pedal sticking down but clutch works

Have a strange issue with the clutch...

When the pedal is pushed down I can change gear without an issue and the pedal returns.
    But as soon as the clutch is depressed for a longer period when reversing etc the pedal gradually sticks to the point that the clutch pedal is flat on the floor and the car is in gear.
    If I then pull the pedal up manually the clutch can be used again as before.

My thinking is that it is slave cylinder related or perhaps the release bearing.
    It hasn't been using any fluid that I've noticed and the master cylinder is dry.

Has anyone had a similar issue before?

Spring in the master cylinder has broken.
    1989 Audi 80 Quattro
    1994 Audi 80 Quattro Competition

Comment

Sounds like a very slow leak, check for puddle under the car (wetness etc) for the slave and inside the car for the master.
      Also possible for a line or connection to line to leak as well. Its very slow why you can still use the clutch.
      www.quattro.ca
      B2: 82 Urq into Sport quattro, 82 4000 2-door, 83 80q 2 Door, 83 Ur-q CDN, 85 Ur-q Euro with 3B, 86 4kq, 59,000km
      B3/B4: 91 CQ, 93 90q 2.5TDI, 94 80q avant 2.5tdi, 94 S2 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by M2ki View Post
        Spring in the master cylinder has broken.
        Pretty sure it's not that as the pedal returns normally until it is held down for an extended time. If it was the spring time shouldn't make a difference.

Originally posted by ralleyquattro View Post
        Sounds like a very slow leak, check for puddle under the car (wetness etc) for the slave and inside the car for the master.
        Also possible for a line or connection to line to leak as well. Its very slow why you can still use the clutch.
        This does seem to make the most sense, it's hard to have a good look at the slave but the linkage below it does look a bit damp, the line looks ok.

Comment

Different car but I had a leak on the pipe to a clutch slave cylinder. It got slowly worse and eventually failed...on the way back from France. The pipe had cracked where it went into the union on the slave. Made it all the way back to euro tunnel by starting the car in first gear on the starter motor!

Comment

Originally posted by Colesy View Post
            Pretty sure it's not that as the pedal returns normally until it is held down for an extended time. If it was the spring time shouldn't make a difference.
            Then it's both, broken spring and a leak
            Pedal should return even when there is no oil in the system.
            1989 Audi 80 Quattro
            1994 Audi 80 Quattro Competition

Comment

There’s an over-centre spring in the pedal box so if you lose hydraulic pressure the pedal will stay down.
              My vote goes for the master cylinder.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
              sigpic

Comment

master cylinder is fooked
                Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                Indigo ABY coupé
                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Looks like the MC is the first thing to change! Thanks for the pointers, I'll post back with results.

Comment

Changing the MC has fixed this, cheers all

Comment

Working...
                    X