Clutch pedal sticking down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch pedal sticking down

I had this the past week, and thought nothing of it. I realised it could be one of the 2 hydraulic pumps. Having changed the one on the gearbox, I realised it should be the one mounted on the clutch pedal.

The feeling or having the pedal retract in 2 stages was more evident after a bit of hard driving.

Once replaced it was ok, however it did it again today after another bit of hard driving.

Could it be anything else?

The clutch pump was bought from Audi tradition a year ago and had an expiry date of 2015.

Release bearing not sliding as it should on input shaft flange perhaps?...….this might explain why it's heat related ?

I'd be for changing the brake/clutch fluid though, you might get lucky!

Comment

I agree, first step should be a thorough flush & bleed of the hydraulic circuit.
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Having same issue, pedal will stick so setting off is a little tricky. I mostly drive around town not much hard driving really in London. But it'll only happen once and be fine for a while.
        '93 Audi 100 Avant - R.I.P
        '92 Audi UrS4 Avant - SOLD
        '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

That is master cylinder problem

1-2-4-5-3

1-2-4-5-3

Comment

Good points on all responses.

I'm sure bleeding was done once master cylinder was replaced(or is the pump on the pedal the master cylinder or the other one?)

I will go for another rebleed, and then make sure I drive easy until the engine comes out hopefully by the end of this month..

Thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by A80Avant View Post
              Good points on all responses.

I'm sure bleeding was done once master cylinder was replaced(or is the pump on the pedal the master cylinder or the other one?)
              Bleeding would have been done but this isn't quite the same as changing the fluid...………. the clutch master cylinder is operated by the pedal, slave cylinder is at the gearbox.

Comment

Have you checked the return spring on the clutch pedal ?.

Comment

Originally posted by simons2
                  Have you checked the return spring on the clutch pedal ?.
                  I haven't. Is something that can go bad as well? Never heard of that before.

Comment

I've had this happen to my car once. The clutch bite point was really low, so I adjusted the clevis pin length slightly and it fixed it. I only found it stuck when the peddle was pushed right to the carpet.
                    91 Modded 3B
                    14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

There's a spring inside the master cylinder that can fail. One of mine was always sticking and replacing the MC fixed it. This doesn't explain why the problem would be intermittent though as you would have thought a spring is either broken or not!

Comment

Exactly. The last couple of days of normal driving seems to have made it not misbehave. I'll take it easy until the engine comes out as we will plan to replace the copper lines with high pressure lines

Comment

I have had the same problem for about two weeks now. It's intermittent. Finding myself having to try and get my foot under the pedal to pull it back up. It then, mostly, operates normally again for a while but sometimes it can happen on a few consecutive depresses. The bite is very close to the full pedal press.

I was thinking it might be the seals in the master cylinder failing. As if fluid is being forced past the seal on depression. When pulling the pedal back up the fluid would easily force past the seal the other way. If the seal then managed to reseat the master cylinder would function again.

I might be completely wrong with this but the logic seemed possible, in my head

Anybody else got any ideas, or ways to diagnose?

Comment

Normally it’s the master cyl on the way out.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                            sigpic

Comment

I thought the same but ita been replaced and still does it after hard pulls

Comment

Working...
                              X