Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The end all questions AAN + 01E into B4 conversion swap!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The end all questions AAN + 01E into B4 conversion swap!

Okay here it goes... Hello S2forum!

I wanted to make this post as detailed as possible to compile all my research, questions and findings into one place. This would make it easy for myself and other people who want to do this conversion to their small chassis Audi 80/90/Coupe B3/B4.

While looking for information on my specific project, a 95' Audi B4 80 Quattro Avant, Originally an ABC V6. I was only able to find limited bits of information from various sources, sometimes really helpful, incorrect or otherwise.

The donor cars for my project are a 93' Audi C4 S4 AAN, slush box auto and a 99' B5 S4 AGB, manual 01E DSY. I plan to mate the AAN with the 01E DSY.

So let's get started!
    Please feel free to chip in, correct me and offer advice as to what will or won't work, anything I have missed and maybe some tips along the way to make life easier! It would be muchly appreciated.

I will highlight my questions in RED so hopefully they can be easily seen and answered.

For simplicity's sake from here on in I shall refer to the C4 S4/S6 CBL 01E as just "C4 01E" and the B5 S4 DSY 01E as just "B5 01E".

- Engine Mounting, putting the AAN into the B4 80 chassis will require 5 cylinder things. 5 cylinder mount brackets need to be welded onto the chassis legs/ frame rails.

Part numbers:
    Chassis/ frame rail brackets, 8A0803029B & 8A0803030C (80/90 B3)
    Engine block brackets, 893199307A & 893199308B (RS2/ ABY)
    Engine mount rubbers, 8A0199382D & 8A0199382 (RS2) (unconfirmed fitment but will update)

Picture of factory V6 engine mounts.
    Audi 80 059.jpg
    Picture off the V6/ inline 4 cylinder mounts removed.
    Audi 80 068.jpg Picture of inline 5 cylinder mounts offered up to the general location of welding. Original bolt holes need to be removed first.
    Audi 80 065.jpg Audi 80 066.jpg A picture of the final product. Sorry not my pic, all credit to TurboS for this one!
    mount 1.png

- Engine & Gearbox Mating, This is specifically for joining together the AAN and B5 01E together as we know the C4 01E is factory fitted to the AAN.

When mounting the B5 01E there isn't all that much to over come. I only had to modify one bolt hole and no cutting or clearancing is required for the rpm & crank position sensors to fit!
    I will go over this in detail now as all of the research previous to my own experience said otherwise.

Here is a bolt pattern diagram I made which includes exact bolt sizes and lengths that you will require to mount the B5 01E onto the AAN, If you are sourcing these bolts from my diagram make sure you get as close to the length as stated otherwise some of the bolts will bottom out in a few of the blind holes.

Here are the diagrams
    Audi 80 0228.jpg
    p5pb22361869.jpg The bolts I have used here are a mixture of factory C4 S4 AAN automatic gearbox bolts and B5 01E bolts.
    image_84706.jpg Bolts 6,7 & 8 can been seen from the back side with yellow paint pen on the thread where they need to be cut as measured from the diagram list, this isn't necessary to fit but will be a tidy install, they are way longer than the need to be!

You won't have any problems with one of the dowel sleeves not fitting unless you are planning you to use the 01E gearbox spacer for purposes of fitting a factory dual mass flywheel and clutch arrangement. I don't have a clutch that fits yet so I'm going to have to buy something new (probably a southbend or similar) therefore I wont be using the spacer.

Here is the dowel in question if you want to use the spacer you will have to drill out the spacer to fit.
    Audi 80 0219.jpg This is the outer diameter of the dowel.
    Audi 80 0220.jpg This is the inner diameter of the spacer.
    Audi 80 0221.jpg
    This is the hole you will need to modify by drilling it out to a larger size to accept the bolt. It's in the sump only as the gearbox receiving hole is already the correct size. So that's a huge bonus!
    Audi 80 0222.jpg The hole is only 9.38mm in diameter but the bolt is 9.87.
    Audi 80 0223.jpg Audi 80 0224.jpg As you can see here it threads into the gearbox nicely.
    Audi 80 0225.jpg Okay lets make this puppy bigger! I drilled out the hole carefully from the backside with a 10.5mm drill bit then de-burred both sides of the sump with a countersunk bit, ever so slightly! Hope you have a steady hand for this one
    Audi 80 0226.jpg The bolt in it's new home.
    Audi 80 0227.jpg

Okay back to talking about that dowel hole again... This time it's the gearbox side, the hole in the gearbox is a much larger inner diameter than the bolt going through it! I knew about this from researching and thought maybe a sleeve could be inserted to compensate for this.

On closer inspection, it looks like the bolt is a little offset in the hole. At this point I figured that a sleeve would be more complicated than its worth. The head of the bolt is wide enough to get a good grip on the gearbox and I have no doubt that this won't be a problem so I'm just going to leave this one as is.
    p5pb22362095.jpg Audi 80 0232.jpg 17.15mm is the inner diameter of the hole in the gearbox, the bolt being an M12.
    Audi 80 0233.jpg

- Gearbox Mounting, C4 01E into the B4 80 chassis can be achieved using the original ABC V6 subframe and a pair of transmission/ gearbox mounts from an RS2. Part numbers: 8A0399113E & 8A0399114E.(See below posts for more detail).

The gearbox mount brackets for the C4 & B5 01E's are not the same part numbers but the bolt holes are identical and they are interchangeable between gearboxes.

If you were to use a 5 cylinder subframe, then the right hand side gearbox mount would sit approx 28mm too high using C4 01E gearbox mounts and would require a spacer to be made.

B5 01E mounts are well off.

- Shifter Box Mounting, I will be test fitting the B5 01E shifter box into the B4 80 chassis, the bolt holes are identical but you need to remove the captive nuts and a stud that holds a trim bracket from the inside of the 80 B4 tunnel. Then it can be bolted straight in, I need to test shifter rod and support rod clearances however.

If you wish you can just retain the original B4 80 components then mod the B5 01E shifter rod to fit.

- Gear Shifter Modification, Using the B5 01E shifter rod it can be modified to work. Cut the end off one end, rotate cut end 180 degrees and weld back on. There are some good write ups around the internet on this already!
    Have a read of this well put together example https://www.motorgeek.com/threads/01...nto-b3.215233/

- Clutch Arrangement, 7A SMFW (single mass flywheel) can be used with related 7A clutch disk and pressure plate.B5 01E dual mass flywheel and clutch can't be used. (See below posts for more detail).

- Clutch Slave Cylinder, Retaining the B5 01E clutch salve, needs to have the input line modified. (See below posts for more detail).

- Rear Differential & Locker, The entire B5 S4 rear subframe is almost identical to the B4 80q. The B5 S4 rear hubs are about 8mm wider, the toe arms are about 15mm longer, the handbrake cables are shorter, rear brake calipers and discs are bigger and the brake lines are two lines from abs pump to rear brake calipers.
    I have swapped over the rear carrier with abs sensors, hubs, brakes, diff and axles from the B5 S4 into the B4 80q subframe, retaining the B4 80q handbrake cables and handbrake actuators which bolt to the rear calipers A 4.11 Type 44 R&P (ring wheel and pinion gear) might swap into a B4 diff and allow you to keep the B4 80q locker?

- Wiring, I don't really have any questions about the wiring at this stage. Feel free to chuck in some good links if you have them though!

Let me know what you think, thanks for reading and appreciate any help!

P.S. I will be editing this first post and the other posts below when I confirm findings to keep this information as up to date as possible for anyone who wants to know.
    Last edited by 89 Coupe; 15 December 2022, 22:59.

- Main Driveshaft, I will be using the main driveshaft from the B5 01E, it's the correct length to match the gearbox. B5 01E gearbox is a little longer than 01A and 016 so a shorter driveshaft is required.

Here are some measurements of the original 2.6 V6 80q manual 01A driveshaft compared with the B5 01E.
    Both driveshafts have been pulled to full extension for the purpose of these measurements.
    20220323_203926.jpg 20220323_204004.jpg 20220323_204034.jpg 20220323_204058.jpg 20220323_204121.jpg
    20220323_204410.jpg 20220323_204658.jpg
    Here is the B5 01E driveshaft mounted in the 80. I will be moving the factory mounts on the chassis to suit the B5 01E driveshaft! This will be the easiest and neatest solution I think.
    p5pb22362443.jpg 20220323_210810.jpg 20220323_210943.jpg 20220323_211704.jpg 20220323_211724.jpg

- Front Driveshaft Flanges, B5 01E gearbox driveshaft flanges are 108mm and the B4 flanges are 100mm. B5 front driveshafts are no where near going to fit into the B4 hubs. They are far too long and a much larger diameter CV and drive spline!
    Instead I will be using 100mm drive flanges from a B5 A4 1.8T rear diff, they must be machined down by 3mm on the height of the drive spline and also the length of the securing bolt. Make sure you retain the matching bolts as they are completely different from B5 01E.

Here are a couple pictures of both types of flanges side by side. 108mm on the left and 100mm on the right.
    Audi 80 0238.jpg Notice the 100mm flange has about 3mm more offset compared to the 108mm flange, this is from the bearing surface outwards so no problem there as the spline length is exactly the same at 71mm once you machine 3mm off the top of your 100mm flanges and retaining bolts.
    Audi 80 0239.jpg The 100mm flange mounted in the B5 01E gearbox, torqued to 40Nm!
    Audi 80 0240.jpg
    Last edited by 89 Coupe; 12 August 2022, 11:48.

Comment

watching
      Nothelle S2 Avant
      Black Ur project
      Ocianic Ur project gone
      S2 Coupe project gone
      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Nice! Can we see the B4 too?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
        sigpic

Comment

I hope to make a dedicated build thread for the B4 80 Avant in the near future, this thread is just me testing the waters and trying to find a few answers before I dig in.

Here are a couple pictures of the vehicles
          The B4 is the red 80 on the trailer BTW
          p5pb22362308.jpg Audi 80 022.jpg IMG_3642.JPG 20200302_200716.jpg 20210524_164445.jpg p5pb22362361.jpg
          Last edited by 89 Coupe; 9 April 2022, 14:56.

Comment

Originally posted by 89 Coupe View Post
            I hope to make a dedicated build thread for the B4 80 Avant in the near future, this thread is just me testing the waters and trying to find a few answers before I dig in.

The B4 is the red 80 on the trailer BTW
            Of course! I was looking for a coupe ..

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 89 Coupe View Post
              - Clutch arrangement, 7A SMFW (single mass flywheel) can be used with related 7A clutch disk and pressure plate. I haven't been able to find any information regarding using the original B5 S4 DMFW (dual mass flywheel) and clutch in the original B5 01E gearbox attached to the AAN, is this possible? I already have this flywheel and clutch so it would be awesome to use it!
              Okay might have a go at answering my own question here after digging up some more info.

It looks like the 7A flywheel and clutch arrangement is the best option available to me at this time. However only now have I had the idea of using an after market AAN SMFW and clutch arrangement, but say goodbye to my hard earned pennies for that!

Using a B5 S4 DMFW on the AAN is not be possible, it's close but doesn't bolt on.
              The mating face outer diameter of the crank on the AAN.
              Audi 80 0215.jpg The corresponding surface on the B5 01E dual mass flywheel.
              Audi 80 0216.jpg The inner diameter of the crank on the AAN.
              Audi 80 0217.jpg The corresponding surface on the B5 01E dual mass flywheel.

- Clutch Slave Cylinder, Is the stock B5 01E clutch slave okay to use with the 7A/ AAN SM flywheel, pressure plate and friction disc? I've heard there could be reach issues but this was mixing and matching C4 01E clutch parts with the 7A flywheel and vice versa and that's not advised anyway.

I will be using a modified version of the B5 01E slave cylinder or an after market version so I can utilize a normal thread input as opposed to the factory push in fitting with a clip retainer.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by 89 Coupe; 9 April 2022, 14:39.

Comment

Why use b5 01e? I think the b4 01e is total plug and play (it is to engine, and believe it is to chassis?)

How are you progressing?

Comment

Originally posted by Audipwr1 View Post
                  Why use b5 01e? I think the b4 01e is total plug and play (it is to engine, and believe it is to chassis?)

How are you progressing?
                  If I could have found a B4, C4 01E 6 speed within country then absolutely, they are very seldom. There have been only a handful of cars with those gearboxes for sale in the last 10 years, All of them far to good to pinch parts off.

I did find one car being wrecked but only after I purchased a complete B5 S4 for less than what they wanted for just a gearbox.
                  B5 S4's are more common here and I didn't have any trouble tracking a suitable one down to buy complete for parts.

Currently waiting on the delivery of RS2 gearbox mounts, 5 cylinder engine mounts to weld on and a few small parts I purchased.
                  I've got all three cars in the same place now for the first time! I'll be starting to do a few smaller things on them all for prep. I have my BMW E34 Touring to finish minor things on before I start with the Audis, I'm pretty excited

audis.jpg
                  Last edited by 89 Coupe; 20 January 2022, 04:23.

Comment

What have you learned?

Comment

Where in NZ are you? I have a manual 100 S4 in lower north island.. If you needed to look/measure anything specific, I could help. I did a clutch in mine when I got it couple years ago and took some pics which may be helpful. Cool project by the way!

*ahh Christchurch, my bad!

Comment

Originally posted by URS4 Avant View Post
                        Where in NZ are you? I have a manual 100 S4 in lower north island.. If you needed to look/measure anything specific, I could help. I did a clutch in mine when I got it couple years ago and took some pics which may be helpful. Cool project by the way!

*ahh Christchurch, my bad!
                        Hi mate,

I'm actually in the lower north too. Ohakea to be specific.Where abouts are you?
                        Thanks for the message, I'll keep you in mind if I need to know anything!

On a side note do you need anything for your S4? Mine will be for sale in the next coming months.
                        Just about to list the 1.8T and 01A for sale on here too.

Regards
                        Andre

Comment

Originally posted by Audipwr1 View Post
                          What have you learned?
                          Quite a lot in the last few months! I have been working on this project just about everyday, its been a huge task.
                          This weekend I am going to mate the engine and gearbox, and have decided not to use the B5 01E clutch arrangement to utilize factory ECU sensors etc.

I will update the first post as I go to keep first viewers of the post up to date.
                          I will upload specific information around the driveshafts, clutch and gearbox soon.

Thanks for checking in!

Comment

Okay everyone massive update to the thread! Of which most of the questions have been answered.

Please have a read from the very first post, practically everything has been changed! Sorry about the thread information being split up from the first post, it was the only way I could include all the photos as I didn't know there was a 20 pic per post limit!

The only things I'm unsure of at this point is the clutch slave reach if to be using a AAN SMFW arrangement and which ring gear is going to converted the B4 80q diff to match the B5 01E 4.11 ratio.

I'll be purchasing a clutch some time in the future and I guess that will give me a better understanding of what will work there (this isn't going to be anytime soon).

I'll be using the B5 rear diff until such a time that I can work out a solution for the B4 80q locker.

Here is a couple more and probably the last for some time in this thread. The next shall be my official build thread with all the detail! And probably 100 times more pictures, I love taking pictures!

RS2 gearbox mounts with new hardware compared to the original B5 01E.
                            Audi 80 0213.jpg Audi 80 0214.jpg
                            -AAN RPM & Crank Sensors, This one was really straight forward and probably the most happy finding/ myth bust of this swap so far.
                            The original AAN double sensor arrangement don't require any cutting or modification. The B5 01E gearbox has provision for them already as you can see here.
                            20220409_103833.jpg 20220409_103909.jpg The original B5 01E sensor to the right on the gearbox can now be removed as it has no use!

Alright team, peace out
                            Last edited by 89 Coupe; 9 April 2022, 16:04.

Comment

Had a lot of trouble trying to fit the engine yesterday.

p5pb23725109.jpg

Here is what I have:

AAN engine
                              C4 S4 cylinder block brackets = 4A0199307B left, 4A0199312 right
                              C4 S4 rubber mounts = 443199379D left & right
                              B3 80 5 cylinder chassis brackets = 893803029B left, 893803030C right
                              B5 S4 01E
                              B4 RS2 transmission mounts = 8A0399113E left, 8A0399114E right
                              B4 80 V6 subframe

As you can see by the pictures the mounts are way off from touching the chassis rails in the B4 80 engine bay. Transmission bolts to the subframe perfectly and rear drive shaft bolts up.

p5pb23725108.jpg
                              p5pb23725106.jpg
                              p5pb23725105.jpg

I am certain that the C4 S4 AAN cylinder block brackets are wrong, I could only find little information on the internet about this combination.

Does anyone know why there is offset bolt holes in the rubber mounts for ADU/ ABY but 3B/ AAN are parallel?
                              When the cylinder block bracket and chassis engine brackets are the same part number for RS2/ S2...?

Please help!
                              Last edited by 89 Coupe; 15 December 2022, 22:29.

Comment

Working...
                              X