ABY to SMF part number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABY to SMF part number

Hi everyone - I tried to search this before posting but could not find a clear answer.
    Background
    I'm building a spare high power engine and want to get the bottom end all balanced etc
    My car currently has a 3b smf with a 707 clutch which off course I can not use in the new engine as I want to balance the lot and keep my car on the road.

I need help to id a 3b smf

Looking on ebay I found https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224945504...YAAOSw1bNiXS0L
    This flywheel has a part number of 034105271C and according to the description is the same for 3b & 7a - is that true?

Forum search bought up 3b part number as 034 105 270AA or 034 105 271J

Thanks in advance
    Bobby

that is a 7a one. buy aftermarket one.

Comment

Originally posted by rxl View Post
      that is a 7a one. buy aftermarket one.
      Thanks for reply - does 7a one also work on aby?
      Aftermarket - I have considered that but they are x 3 the price and not sure if the advantage is justified

Comment

would work but has its issues

Comment

would work but has its issues
          Can you expand on the issues?

Comment

I've heard rumors that 7A flywheel pin position is a few grads shifted from one on 3B/ABY flywheel. Did not check myself.

It can be essential on stock motronic, not an issue with aftermarket engine management.

Comment

Compared my 7A with my 3B, can't see any pin difference but 7A is ~1kg heavier.
              You also may use any other 5-pot flywheel but then it needs to be machined and of course have inserted the trigger-pin at proper position
              Another alternative may be 3B aftermarket ALU flywheel

Comment

its not what i would put on upgraded engine. your downgrading it. trigger issues are possible, weight, mashining costs that are the downside of it.

Comment

its not what i would put on upgraded engine. your downgrading it. trigger issues are possible, weight, mashining costs that are the downside of it.
                  what is what You wouldn't put on upgraded engine ?

Comment

your ebay link. just my opinion.

Comment

The eBay looks like a 7A, reasonable priced.
                      What You want to put on depends on what You want to achieve ...

My FW's :
                      - NF : 10.5 kg (milled)
                      - 3B : 10.7 kg
                      - 7A : 11.5 kg
                      - 3B Alu : 5.1 kg
                      - AAN SM Alu : 5.5 kg

personally I'd liked ~8kg, mby try to machine more of my NF to see if it's possible ...

my 7A :
                      7a-03.jpg

the part# can't be trusted, it's probably a "raw" number of the FW before machining to specific engine, think there's a thread regarding this on the forum some place ...

https://www.s2forum.com/forum/techni...in#post1234372
                      Last edited by pfi; 20 June 2022, 18:50.

Comment

wow thanks for the information guys yes the engine will have a EFR 83 so maybe best to stick with a light weight item.
                        Its only a weekend toy but having light flywheel could help in getting those rev's up

Comment

If "fast" rev's up is Your goal, go for aftermarket Alu FW ...

Comment

Well I want easy rev'ing haha
                            I'm using a diesel crank to make 2.5l so anything to help

Comment

2.5 crank in 2.2/2.3 block or in 2.5 block ?

IMHO a stroker is more for torque than fast rev's ...

Comment

Working...
                              X