Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much bhp/torque can 3b gearbox handle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or let me ask in another way, i can get a AAJ 016 5 speed gearbox cheap, and i want to have it in spare, but do i need anything else besides the gearbox it self and will it fit perfectly?

How about the clutch, does it fit?

/Jonas
    Sleeper S2 Avant +450

A6 Avant 2.7t Stage 3

Audi S2 Coupe RS2'ed

Comment

The 5-speed 01A box fitted to the 3B engined S2 is the same box as fitted to non turbo 20V. Its a good enough box but it is officially only rated at 310Nm though it can handle more if you want. Obviously longevity in a hard driven 01A box could be an issue (like Toms car with easily over 450Nm on tap).

Next up is the 6 speed 01E (CGR on S2). This is rated for 450Nm and is a much stronger box than the 01A. I know of some tuned ABY engines pushing 550Nm thru these boxes without reported problems. The early variants of the CGR had a weak point on 1st gear but that was fixed mid MY94 and the CRB box on the RS2 is identical to the late made CGR.

Stronger again is a step back in time to the 5-speed 016 box (as fitted to the UR quattro and some 100/200 models). Earliest versions of the 016 had a lockable centre differential which enabled a 50:50 torque split between front and rear wheels. This is the nearest configuration to what the rally cars used for maximum quattro traction in the 80s. The gear ratio spacing is a bit funky on the 016, but this a supremely strong gearbox. The ultimate version was fitted to the rare 'Sport' quattro IIRC and this is what monster quattros like the Dialynx special runs with. The lockable centre diff was deleted when Audi introduced the MB engined quattros in 88/89 with a revolutionary system - Torsen.

The later 016, all 01A and all 01E boxes are fitted with the now famous Torsen centre differential - actually so are all true Audi quattros since it was introduced. The VW based A3 and TT use a different centre diff system called Haldex but thats another story. The ingenious 'TORque SENsing' differential mechanical wonder allows the torque to be split based on the grip available at each end of the car. In normal conditions, the Torsen provides a 50:50 torque split but in the event of loss of traction at the front wheels, torque is shifted to the rear (and vice versa). It is this transition from 50:50 split to a maximum bias of 75:25 either way that makes the Torsen equipped cars rather tricky to drive thru an understeer situation (in the wet for instance) to one of controllable progressive oversteer by using the throttle pedal. This is the art of 'Torsen-ing' a quattro when driving on the limits of traction. Not for the faint hearted

Another flaw with the Torsen device is that it cannot be locked by the driver - as in the old URs.

True quattro aficianados will argue that the original full time 50:50 split on the non Torsen gearboxes is the ultimate configuration for handling - especially on rough or slippery terrain. But for civilised use by the masses, the Torsen system is arguably better for everyday use as the dynamics of a front heavy Audi provides a natural tendency to understeer in corners on the limits of traction. The gut reaction of most drivers in such a situation is to gently lift off the gas and so understeer is reduced. Torsen equipped cars are supposed to be harder to drive on the limit than a non-Torsen quattro because of the frankly odd way in which the driver has to provoke oversteer on a Torsen system. Nuff said !

Hope I've explained that more or less about right - I've almost confused myself now... sorry for such a rambling post !

Cheers,

Paul
      Paul Nugent
      Webmaster http://S2central.net
      Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
      2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
      2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Hi Poul,

I was considering buying a AAJ 016 gearbox and have it in reserve.
        The gearbox is from a 1985 200 TQ and it has driven 220000 km. I can get it for 250 Euro is this cheap or not?

Anyways if i mount the AAJ 016 gearbox i will loose the torsen diff. right which means no matter what it will do 50/50 split? How about if i get a late 016 gearbox with torsen? Is it as strong as the first ones?

One last question, does the 016 fit or do i have to modify etc?

And Poul do think my gearbox can handle 310 bhp and 420 nm?

/Jonas
        Sleeper S2 Avant +450

A6 Avant 2.7t Stage 3

Audi S2 Coupe RS2'ed

Comment

Working...
        X