Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Single Mass Flywheel on ABY - PROBLEMS!!!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right, just having a few thoughts about this after it's been on for a while.

Did anyone fit a spacer in the prop shaft when they did this to make up the difference in length or did you do like me and just let the CV joints take up the slack? I think a 10mm spacer might be a good plan.

I still have a pretty annoying vibration at 1500rpm so I'm going to try and either shift the engine back a little on the mounts or modify the transmission mount as it's a bit tight.

Car feels much better with the 3B item in there, wish I'd had some material taken off and had the friction surface skimmed as the clutch judders a little.
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

HI Andy,
      I'm sure the box stays where it was, the engine has move back on the mounts to compensate for the spacer removal.

HTH,
      Rob..
      94 RS2 Noggy,LHD,MTM map,18"cup 1s,245/35/18,Bilsteins,RS2 H&Rs,Cup splitter.
      87 UR 20v ABY
      97 S6 Avant
      96 A6 C4 2.5 TDI quattro avant,Ming,Wietec/eibach,chipped
      1967 Ford Mustang,Eleanor,460ci v8

Comment

Not for me, the box came off and went back on without the spacer so the engine stayed where it was, mounts were left tight. If the whole lot had come out then it could have been moved around to fit. I need to undo the engine mounts and shift the engine back a little to give me a bit less fight on the driver's side engine mount, passenger side is fine. IOr a slightly easier way of doing it would be to get the driver's side mount off and slot it on a mill to get it to fit just right, there's only a couple of mm fight that the rubber takes up.

Need to get the prop rebuilt anyway so I think I'm going to space the engine part up by the thickness of the box spacer, approx 10mm.
        Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

I would be removing mounts and letting settle where it wants to sit. Then altering if need be the mounts. Wouldn't be going down the prop spacer route, get the engine back! All the better for the handling!
          Rob..
          94 RS2 Noggy,LHD,MTM map,18"cup 1s,245/35/18,Bilsteins,RS2 H&Rs,Cup splitter.
          87 UR 20v ABY
          97 S6 Avant
          96 A6 C4 2.5 TDI quattro avant,Ming,Wietec/eibach,chipped
          1967 Ford Mustang,Eleanor,460ci v8

Comment

Originally posted by GT500 View Post
            Wouldn't be going down the prop spacer route, get the engine back! All the better for the handling!
            Sweet! It'll never be front-mid-engined though

I think I'll need an hour on a ramp to get the engine and box right. No worries, it's all worth it. Want to get a lighter FW and front pulley on there now... and a lightened bottom end... and a flowed head...
            Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Engine needs to be moved back as GT500 states, Mark Haliigan eludes to such in some of his threads.

Comment

Agreed with Jamo there - MarkH as BTDT... The engine moves rearwards - there's enough movement in the mounts.
                Paul Nugent
                Webmaster http://S2central.net
                Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Will have a look at this before I go to Milltek to get the DP fitted. Shouldn't take more than an hour to undo/remove everything that holds the engine in place and then slide the engine back on the mounts.
                  Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

LOL - that'll be the only job on an S2 that requires less than an hour - you wish !
                    Paul Nugent
                    Webmaster http://S2central.net
                    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Just spoken to All Audi so going to refurb a prop and then get down there to move the engine and replace the prop. All sort of related so should be ok, it's all been taken off last December for the conversion. My car really does have some money spent on it
                      Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Working...
                      X