RS2 Tranmissions - CGR vs CRB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MattP View Post
    I got 903 from 1994 and the other one was delivered in October 1995 in Swiss.Can't check it both are in winter sleep. How do you get al those info?
    The Oct 95(ish) Swiss delivery car will most likely have the CRB so that isn't an issue. However, the SZ000903 will be very interesting because it is likely around the transition. The info regrading the transmission that was installed is on the build tag.

Look for the build tag in the boot, under the load deck and carpet, beside the spare tyre - OR in the warranty booklet.

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Here some differences from ELSA.

It's true RS2 1ยบ gear is stronger than S2 but according ELSA the last S2 has this same gear.

Oil capacit is differente too RS2 2.3 liters S2 2.7 liters.

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
        Are you the original owner? Unless you are, I suspect that the original transmission was a CGR but it failed under warranty and was replaced with the CRB before you got the RS2.

What was the build month? VIN SN000nnn? (PM me if you want)
        Third owner. One owner in Germany from 95 to 01, then a Norwegian (who has become a very good friend) from 01 until I bought it from him in late 06.
        I have always assumed that the CGR was replaced under warranty, but Billmans comment made me wonder.
        I remember being disappointed when I checked the build tag back in the day, as that meant no 7000rpm launches, but all smiles when I crept under the car and noticed the CRB box.
        I have not done any such launches, though, as I don't think even the CRB would enjoy 450+ ftlbs/620nm measured at the wheels for too long.
        Serial number 514
        Last edited by EspenW; 8 November 2013, 22:28.
        1995 RS2 on Alcohol (6.8sec 100-200km/h)
        1994 80E Avant
        1986 2L Golf 2 on Alcohol

Comment

Originally posted by EspenW View Post
          ....I have always assumed that the CGR was replaced under warranty, but Billmans comment made me wonder. .....Serial number 514
          Billman hasn't posted his VIN number up yet so I think the jury is still out (in my opinion). I am guess that there are several RS2s that were delivered with CGRs that subsequently failed under warranty and were replaced with CRBs.

VIN SZ000514 was built in September 94, well before the official switch to the CRB in early(ish) November (still need more data to confirm this one way or the other).

Comment

Need more info. Do you have the SN of the tranmission, e.g. CGR 00nnnn?

01E 301 103

CGR 43017

Comment

Are you the original owner? Unless you are, I suspect that the original transmission was a CGR but it failed under warranty and was replaced with the CRB before you got the RS2.

What was the build month? VIN SN000nnn? (PM me if you want)
              I am not the original owner but the documentation does not say anything. I own the car since 2003. They changed clutch at 120.000 km. I am away now so I dont have the VIN with me but I will share. If I recall it was August 1994. It has the 4 spoke steering wheel but with the same neck as the 3 spoke wheels. Not like the older 80 4 spoke wheels.

I always assumed that since the late CGR are the same as CRB they did not bother with the tag details. Maybe the tags where printed before assembly so there are differences in part number.

Eitherway the assumption that all these gearboxes where replaced on warranty does not fit in my eyes since back then Drag racing was not known in Germany let alone station wagon owners and the car had stock/almost stock performance.

But I can't be sure for anything....
              Last edited by Billman; 9 November 2013, 00:32.
              Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

Originally posted by speeding-g60 View Post
                01E 301 103 CGR 43017
                01E301103 is just the case. It was dropped on 31/12/1996 in favour of a 013301103K case and some other miscellaneous parts.

Looking at the info about the CGR that is available now, up to transmission number 43795, the main shaft was 01E 311 105J, the wider, not flexible shaft. After 43795, the main shaft in the CGR was the 01E 311 105H, the wider 1st on the flexible shaft.
                CGR 43017 was before the breakpoint and therefore should have the wide first gear but not the flexible shaft, i.e. 105J not 105H.

Comment

Originally posted by Billman View Post
                  ...Eitherway the assumption that all these gearboxes where replaced on warranty does not fit in my eyes since back then Drag racing was not known in Germany let alone station wagon owners and the car had stock/almost stock performance. But I can't be sure for anything....
                  Thanks. When you get a chance PM me the VIN to confirm the build date as August (which, in my mind = CGR, and maybe late CGR).

I never suggested that all CGRs were replaced. Just perhaps some of the early ones that failed while under warranty, before the 105J main shaft was replaced by the 105H, and finally, the switch of the designation from CGR to CRB.

But, like you, I can't be sure of anything.

Comment

UrS4boy has prepared a nice report for me about my RS2. According to his literature, my car was built in Oct 1994 as a 1995 model year.(And it came with CGR transmission as evidenced by the build tag in the trunk)
                    The 01E transmission workshop says from Apr 1994 CGR was equipped with wider 1st gear, so I assume that my CGR is one of them.

I was surprised to see today that the transmission casing was stamped "CRB 6441xxx." Now I am in the same situation as Billman - CGR or CRB?? Had my CGR been replaced with CRB, or would this be a way to designate CGR with wider 1st gear?

Comment

I think the cars where built in the verge between CGR and CRB and since it was not right to have 2 versions of CGR they changed the code to CRB.

Maybe the tags where printed before the CRB gearboxes where made.
                      Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

The build tag that UrS4boy is showing in this thread is from my 1994 RS2. The tag also says I should have a CGR transmission but while I was under the car recently I noticed that my transmission is stamped with CRB58780. Another warranty situation? Dave, you should have the S/N for my car.

Comment

I am a bit confused here.
                          The tag in the trunk of my rs2 says CGR, but on Audi' s car data sheet, when looking the car up for parts and factory specs it says CRB.

Which one is correct???

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian RS2 View Post
                            The build tag that UrS4boy is showing in this thread is from my 1994 RS2. The tag also says I should have a CGR transmission but while I was under the car recently I noticed that my transmission is stamped with CRB58780. Another warranty situation? Dave, you should have the S/N for my car.
                            Yes. I have your build tag Dave. I am trying to make contact with someone who was very helpful to me re: V8 S4 avant info, to see if he can use your VIN to tell use the history of the transmission.

He was out at lunch but should be back in 12 minutes (at 2PM PDT)

Comment

What of ABY S2's the late ones.
                              Cheers mis amigos,
                              _Anton

Comment

I'll be having my gearbox off soon, mine was a late December 95 build.
                                1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

Working...
                                X