RS2 Tranmissions - CGR vs CRB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
    ..I am trying to make contact with someone who was very helpful to me re: V8 S4 avant info, to see if he can use your VIN to tell use the history of the transmission. He was out at lunch but should be back in 12 minutes (at 2PM PDT)
    Okay. He was back when I phoned at 2:30 PM PDT. I gave him your (Dave T's) VIN number and it showed up in their system (i.e. you (Dave T) should be able to go to a Calgary Audi dealership and ask their parts manager for the 4 or 5 page print-out of ALL the codes).

What I was told was your RS2 came with a CRB. When I explained that build tag says CGR, he did not have an answer as to why. He did check the CGR application and it says Audi 80 q, e.g. S2.

Dave: You should be able to ask your friendly dealer for the serial number of the CRB (I didn't ask because that would push the boundaries of private info - he shouldn't tell me, so I didn't ask). When you get that info, you can check it against what the numbers are stamped on your transmission.

I don't think we are going to get an answer as to why *some* RS2 buildtags said CGR.
    Last edited by UrS4boy; 23 August 2014, 00:43.
    RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

CGR SN that was mated to ADU 00007

Don't know why I had this or whose RS2 had ADU 00007 (maybe wetaworker?) but I found this in my RS2 archives while looking for something else (just proves that some early RS2s did come with CGR 6 spds, as used in the S2 avants).

Attached Files

Comment

Sorry to dredge up this inconclusive thread again. I just did another RS2 build tag and while going through my inventory of RS2 build tags, I determined that, in terms of the letters *printed* on the build tags, SZ 000703 still showed “CGR” on its build tag but SZ 000900 had the “CRB” on its build tag. So there was a transition somewhere between those to VINs. We still don't know if later CGRs were really CRBs in terms of the first gear/mainshaft or not, as has been suggested.

Comment

Guess who has number 8?
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bartolomeus View Post
            Guess who has number 8?
            Umm..... you? Email me a photo of the build tag. Check the SN on the transmission.

Comment

Here is the gearbox code.
              I did send you the car's VIN some time ago.
              I don't have the build tag.
              Attached Files

Comment

Sorry to dredge up this inconclusive thread again. I just did another RS2 build tag and while going through my inventory of RS2 build tags, I determined that, in terms of the letters *printed* on the build tags, SZ 000703 still showed “CGR” on its build tag but SZ 000900 had the “CRB” on its build tag. So there was a transition somewhere between those to VINs. We still don't know if later CGRs were really CRBs in terms of the first gear/mainshaft or not, as has been suggested.
                Look my first post (page 3). The information is there.

Comment

Originally posted by Guslotti View Post
                  Look my first post (page 3). The information is there.
                  *Some* information is there. Information that tells me that the CRB had 0.4L less fluid in it than a CGR makes be a bit suspicious. That and and listing CRB from 11/93 when we know that the first RS2s were not built until March 94 and that at least the first ones were equipped with the CGR makes me a non-believer. That said, I probably believe that the later CGRs had the better first gear. However, 04/95 is very late for that change.

Always the sceptic, I know.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bartolomeus View Post
                    Here is the gearbox code. I did send you the car's VIN some time ago. I don't have the build tag.
                    Okay. That is why I couldn't find your build tag (sorry).

So ADU 000007 had CGR 54437

And ADU 000008 had CRB 54532? Sorry, I am going back to my warranty replacement theory.

Comment

Mine is ADU...2687 and it has CGR gearbox.

Comment

Originally posted by ColonialNomad View Post
                        Mine is ADU...2687 and it has CGR gearbox.
                        Any photo of the CGR serial number?

ADU 002687 was probably built in the first week of Sept. 1994. The last RS2 built in September was SZ000577, which fits with my *theory* that the OE transition from CGRs to CRBs was somewhere between SZ 000703 and SZ 000900, sometime around October/November, 1994 (??)

Comment

I'll take a pic tomorrow night.

I'm surprised that the build is so early, the car wasn't registered until 1996!

Comment

If it's any help I can check mine easily in the morning as the car's sat over my pit, will get a photo while I'm under there.

On an entirely different subject I've started scanning the VW 16V info but it's about 30 odd pages and is taking me forever to get them into a format I can send easily, being a self confessed technotard. I am on the case though.
                            1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
                            1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
                            1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
                            1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post
                              If it's any help I can check mine easily in the morning as the car's sat over my pit, will get a photo while I'm under there.
                              On an entirely different subject I've started scanning the VW 16V info but it's about 30 odd pages and is taking me forever to get them into a format I can send easily, being a self confessed technotard. I am on the case though.
                              It will be interesting to see if your transmission is a CGR like the build tag says or a CRB. If it is a CRB, it won't be conclusive as to why. We really need some Audi staff person's help here.

Scanning at 300 dpi should be enough. Sounds like you could bundle them into a few multipage packets and send them in batches OR just leave them as is, either pdfs or jpgs. As long as they are labelled, I can transform them at my end.

Comment

Right, mine has a CRB box numbered 64916, so maybe it had a replacement under warranty.

When I changed the oil I got pretty much bang on 2.3 litres out with the car sat dead level and left over night, so that's what I put back in there which got it to 15 or so mm below the fill hole as per the workshop manual.

Left my camera at work so pic's to follow.
                                1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
                                1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
                                1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
                                1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Working...
                                X