No announcement yet.

Gearbox crunching into gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok back to the topic at hand,I went for a long run last night and the problem seems to get worse when everything has heated up.On my way i totally couldn't get it in to third even when i dipped the clutch and tried again.There was no crunching ,just that I was unable to select that gear.
    the clutch pedal seems to be getting stiffer as well,and i did notice that it felt very stiff and there was a bit of graunching in the pedal itself.
    Its been into my local mechanic and he reckons there could be a problem with the clutch,but told me to wait until symptons got worse
    Rob

Ragussa green avant RS2+ spec
    Racing blue Octavia VRS mk2 estate-Remapped now to 250 bhp
    Audi coupe gt-slow as hell but loads of character-sold

Comment

Clutch slave cylinder perhaps?

Drive it till it brakes, you get your moneys worth that way
      sigpic
      "For what you spent on that you could have brought a new car"
      BUT I DON'T WANT A NEW CAR!

1995 S2 Avant, Volcano Black
      1982 VW Golf Mk1, primer yellow, will be finished one day, maybe.
      2003 VW T4 long nose X pack, (has become project)

Comment

Clutch master or release bearing (or maybe a crack in the pressure plate spring .. in which case it will go bang eventually )

Sorry Rob! Just kiddin!

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks john,although he did say it could be the pressure plate that could be at fault.But it's a year old sachs performance clutch which has not been too badly abused
          Rob

Comment

I'd remove the slave and inspect it, I recently had a problem which turned out to have been the slave cylinder. All working fine now.
            1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

This is only a possibility, but have you checked for any cracks in the pedal box . I had this problem with my s6 , and the first symptom was difficulty getting it in gear.
              The only time I had a problem with my s2 coupe was crunching into second gear. I found the oil level was low due to a small leak. When I replaced the oil it was like a new gearbox.

Comment

Dont be fooled into thinking it will be a better fix if you leave it...
                While you are struggling to get gears crunching ETC your just wearing away your perfectly good gearbox... ( if it is good) Syncros will be taking a bashing and also the dog teeth will be good for **** alll...

Comment

One theory that was passed my way was that it could be (as others on here suggested)the clutch master cylinder leaking internally.When everything is cold the clutch is quite stiff and changes gear no problems,but when it is warm the problem arises.
                  If the clutch mc was leaking could it be that because the oil is thinner when all is warmed up it would bypass the seals easier.
                  As I have said I put a new sachs slave cylinder last year but the MC has never been changed since I have owned the car-8 years
                  Rob

Comment

Rob,

Have you dropped the gearbox oil out yet?

My peddle gets harder as the fluids warm up. Does the peddle have much free travel before you feal the pressure?

Darren

Comment

When was the last time the clutch/brake fluid was changed.

Comment

A while ago-quite a while ago
                        Rob

Comment

Originally posted by DJones View Post
                          Rob,

Have you dropped the gearbox oil out yet?

My peddle gets harder as the fluids warm up. Does the peddle have much free travel before you feal the pressure?

Darren

Yes Darren I did the gear oil
                          Rob

Comment

Originally posted by bertman View Post
                            Yes Darren I did the gear oil
                            Rob, did it make any difference?

Comment

In a few words,not really.Bought some cheap GL4,ran it then dropped the oil and then filled with some good stuff.
                              Bled the clutch out today and was hoping that it might have something to with the age of the fluid,but to no avail.Pedal seemed more consistent than usual but then after another run same symptons happened.Went to change into third and could not get it into gear,no crunching,just a complete inability to get into gear.Forth was a bit the same.Where normally at slow speeds its fine.
                              I had a go at slightly adjusting the push rod on the Mc to take up any slack,and I did noticed when I pushed in by hand that the pushrod is not running straight but it doesn't look bent
                              This is doing my head.Most of the time the gearbox seems to work fine which would suggest that if there was a problem it would be there all the time.
                              Still thinking of changing the MC on the clutch but is it going to be worth it
                              Rob

Comment

Have you spoken to Pete?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X